Extremely weird charging behavior

When I got my framework 16 laptop a few days ago everything was fine using the included charger from framework on Windows. A day or so after I got it I tried plugging it in and nothing happened. I took the charger apart, put it back together, plugged it back in, and it charged normally. It got worse and worse, until I had to resort to using my Steam Deck’s charger because the framework one wasn’t working at all. That doesn’t mean the Deck’s is perfect either. It only works sometimes when I plug it in while the computer awake, but it always connects when I close the lid and plug it in afterwards. The included charger doesn’t charge the laptop at all anymore, even though it works fine with my Deck. I tried the “disconnect batter, deplete the mainboard of power, reconnect” strategy and it didn’t change anything.
It’s pretty sad considering it works perfectly otherwise and the issue seems to be completely random.

Try using different cables and see if the issue goes away, also use different ports on the Framework.

You should contact support about a possible defective charger. It is uncommon, though we have heard of a few in the forums. They will want to make sure is not the cable that is bad or the ports/expansion cards are not the issues either though.

Try using the Framework charger on other devices, if it always works then it probably is not the charger. Wiggle the cable a little on both ends to see if there is a short in the cable or the internal connections. So many areas that could be the culprit. Glad to hear you have an alternative charger that works though. Let us know how it turns out.

2 Likes

I’ve unfortunately already tried all of that. Just reflashed my bios with the Windows utility as well. Nothing helped. The default charger still doesn’t work and my steam deck’s charger works, but it’s still very finicky and much lower wattage.
Thanks for the ideas anyway! I think I’ll get in contact with support and see if they could help me.

Ok so I tried the included charger with the steam deck more thoroughly and it turns out it doesn’t charge that either. I’m starting to think the charger is defective and it fried both itself AND something in the laptop.