Framework 13 AMD Ryzen 7 7840U Benchmarks

As anyone does with a new computer, I decided to benchmark mine. Though, I went a little overboard and decided to grab a new NVMe drive, installed tiny11, and benchmarked it. I wanted to share benchmarks for others wanting to get an idea of how it performs. With all of this, I noticed, this CPU/iGPU combo is very good at compute.

3DMark

3DMark, is very focused on gaming, so it’s not really representative of compute. Nor is it very accurate, however it gives some reference, so I wasted too much money (previously, not just for this) and ran every test except for the storage since A. It’s useless, and B. Most storage tests will be limited by the the actual storage drive, not the CPU, so I didn’t feel it’s really important to test it since most people will have different drives than I do, but if people ask I will run it.

Time Spy

Time Spy Regular

Time Spy Extreme

Most People know time spy, it’s one of the most common 3DMark tests. Time spy uses DirectX 12, and with Time Spy, it’s understandable for the performance. Ignore the “rating”, from what I’ve seen, it changes what is “good” every time. For integrated graphics, it performed well though. Extreme is the 4k version of time spy, it does not hit double digit FPS at all, so if you wanted to do 4k gaming on a thin and light… why?

Speed Way

Speed Way is the most recent test 3DMark released, using DirectX 12 Ultimate, and it runs… fine. Not well though, as it’s slow and again, doesn’t run higher than 10fps. It’s really meant to run and benchmark on higher performance machines, so not recommended.

Fire Strike

Fire Strike Regular

Fire Strike Extreme

Fire Strike Ultra

Fire Strike is the DirectX 11 tests, and it actually runs ok. Regular Fire Strike runs at a pace where if it was a game, it would be playable. Reuglar runs at 1080p, Extreme runs at 1440p, and Ultra runs at 4k. It’s not horrible but playable. Only at 1080p though, as Extreme and Ultra runs worse. This machine is really geared to run 1080p well, but anything above will struggle.

Wild Life

Wild Life Regular

Wild Life Extreme

Now Wild Life is really where this laptop shines. Wild Life is a cross platform test, AKA it’s Vulkan. From what I’ve seen, Vulkan runs extremely well, even better than DirectX. Honestly, if anything you’re running on this laptop supports Vulkan, USE IT. The results are more than playable.

Port Royal

Realistically, you’re not doing real time ray tracing on this computer, and you shouldn’t be. I’m honestly surprised that this didn’t crash, it ran below 5fps and honestly looked like it was about to freeze up and crash at any time. Just don’t

Solar Bay

Solar bay is another Vulkan test, but with ray tracing now. It doesn’t run extremely well, however it runs at a playable speed. As expected, it’s because of Vulkan. Seriously, I’m blown away at the Vulkan performance of this laptop.

Night Raid

Night raid is a test aimed towards integrated graphics. As expected, it performs very well. Not much to say, it ran very well and consistently.

CPU Profile

Honestly, it’s not bad. The CPU is definitely the laptop’s advantage. It’s a fast processor, through and through.

Feature Tests

These are tests for specific graphics features, and are mostly for technologies to flex performance, but might as well show them since I did them.

FSR

DirectX Ray Tracing

Mesh Shader

Sampler Feedback

As expected, 3DMark is all over the place. But, Vulkan works very well. I’m very impressed by the performance, and you should use Vulkan if you’re using AMD or this laptop at all.

Superposition

Definitely an OLD benchmark, and I ran it since I saw it around a lot. Take of it what you want.

Performance Test

Performance Test is made by PassMark, and it’s been my go to benchmarking tool since it’s so comprehensive and, in my experience, it’s very accurate of what kind of experience you’ll get. This one is a very long one, so that’s why it’s last.

Thoughts

I’m overall very impressed with the performance of this laptop. It rivals some desktops in performance, and I think Framework and AMD did an amazing job with this laptop. Take what you want from these benchmarks. One gripe I have, but seems to be common, is the temps. I saw about an average of 90c, which slightly alarmed me, but is technically within specs. Not optimal, but oh well, it’s not like it’s throttling because of it.

System Specs as tested

AMD Ryzen 7 7840U
32gb DDR5 5600 ram (2x16gb)
WD Black 750 1tb (only for benchmarking, I use a Crucial P5 Plus 2tb for daily use)

Important Notes

The test was run on tiny11, with a fresh install. Also, I don’t know if it made a difference but I used one of those laptop coolers that the laptop sits on and it blows air on the bottom.

16 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to do this BoredFish… very good info…

1 Like

What’s the brand and model of your RAM if you don’t mind me asking?

It’s the white label stuff from framework

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, what BIOS are you on?

I ran 3d mark on my machine just to compare and I am literally getting almost half of your numbers. Says it is well below average and I am running plugged in to a 100W charger on high performance mode.

I’m on 3.03 with the latest driver bundle. Having a windows install that has a lot of stuff on it can impact performance too

Thanks, I am not sure what happened. I ran DDU and reinstalled the drivers. I also uninstalled the universal x86 tuner in case that was messing with the power limits. Results are much more in line with yours now.

2 Likes

Interesting, I’m curious if I get a performance bump if I use the AMD drivers instead of the framework drivers, I’ll test it when I get a chance.

2 Likes

Doing SPECviewperf and SPECworkstation currently, stay tuned!

SPECviewperf

Well, here we are again. SPECviewperf, from what I’ve seen, uses, while outdated software, gives an extremely accurate representation of actual performance. Though, this is the complete opposite of 3DMark. This is focused on stuff that a workstation would do, using ACTUAL software, including 3DS Max (3D modeling) and Maya (general computer graphics), both by Autodesk, Catia (3D CAD/CAE/CAM) and Solidworks (3D CAD), both made by DDS, Creo (CAD suite) made by PTC, OpendTect (Seismic interpretation system), and Siemens NX (CAD). The “composite score” is the average FPS of each test. Taking from these results, this processor is basically PERFECT for mobile CAD operations. I’ve used Fusion 360 with this, and it works well enough.

Composite Scores

2 Likes

Cinebench

The one I forgot :upside_down_face:, thanks @Michael_Wu for reminding me about it. The TLDR is it’s good. Really good. Like as in, this thing beats some older threadrippers in multi core performance. I’m honestly super surprised. I ran both 2024 and R23, and 2024 really favors apple silicon, and honestly it’s very buggy, so I’d take results with a grain of salt. Though, in both, the chip seems to excel in single core performance, which is… unusual for an AMD product. I’m happy with it though.

Cinebench 2024

Multi Core

Single Core

MP Ratio

Cinebench R23

Multi Core

Single Core

MP Ratio

2 Likes

Quite impressive, thanks for running these! I think yours are among the highest I’ve seen, maybe because of tiny11/your laptop cooler, so this is a good reference and I’ll have something to compare with to make sure my system’s running properly and later when I install PTM7950. Will post my results as well when I get the chance :smiley:

Also, the numbers speak for themselves, but from my real world use, the AMD 7840U has seemed about twice as fast compared to the Intel I7-1165G7 when I’m compiling Elixir projects. Me likey

1 Like

I gather it’s 32gb if the framework ram, but Is it a single stick or two 16gb sticks?

2x 16gb

1 Like

Anyone try benchmarking with spectre mitigations turned off? GRC InSpectre still works in Win11

@BoredFish: Did you have a chance to re-run benchmarks with PTM7950?

I’ve just done a Cinebench R23 multicore test on windows 11 (standard install with latest updates) and got a score of 13,788 so 10 points off yours.

FW 13 7840u with PTM7950 repaste
64gb Kingston 5600 CL40 ram
4tb Lexar NM790 SSD

My laptop was on one of those stands that raises it off the floor and has free airflow for the bottom vents but I’m not actively blowing air into the intake or anywhere onto the chassis for extra thermal headroom. Has got around 1.5 months usage on it so far so all the heatsink fans are still clean etc.

I will run the single core test and others but feel like this is a decent result. I didn’t think to do tests before I replaced the stock thermal pad so I can’t do my own A/B testing.

I haven’t actually done PTM7950 since I don’t want to replace it on a brand new laptop lol

Fair enough,

I would say, after taking off the input cover off, it’s just two T5 screws for the fan and three T5 screws for the heatsink and it comes right off the APU. I had my PTM7950 in the fridge beforehand and I used the tip to peel from a corner rather than a side and it was super simple. Whole thing took less than 10 minutes including cleaning off the APU with isopropyl and cotton buds / cotton pads.

Framework really do make this thing hard to mess up because it’s soo easy to get at the components and the screws mean you’re not fighting to break glue or plastic tabs etc…

Having said that, I respect your decision! Just hoping I can find people to run similar Cinebench tests with and without PTM so I can get a sense of how my APU is performing.

Edit: Rab the Single Core R23 test and got 1764 and that was seemingly either silent or with the fans at a very low speed. Uploading photos for reference also.

I downloaded and tested Passmark this morning and came up with the following result (linked below). You can use the baseline ID to compare my results to your own by using the Advanced Search/Other option in Manage Baselines.

The overall score came out at 8006. Using the advanced search options I can see three overall scores better than mine for Framework 13 with the AMDb 7840U. These scores are 8035, 8057 and 8074. The next two only beat my score on the 3D graphics mark and the top one on both the Graphics Mark and Disk Mark though that is using an arguably better SSD (Samsung 990 Pro 4tb to my Lexar NM790 4tb). I can’t comment on the other three tests using PTM7950 but I would say that adding the stuff does make a difference in overall performance! Very happy with the results

Edit: I went back and checked why my 3D graphics score would be so much lower and realised that I wasn’t getting AMD Adrenalin updates. I updated to the lastest version and re-ran the test. It’s showing as not uploading into the database as they were ran to close together but removed the previous link and included the new one. The new score is 8281 which I think puts my laptop comfortably in first place of all Framework 13 AMD editions have have uploaded tests to the database based on the searches I’ve done.

https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V11/display.php?id=201238118044

Hey do you think it could run Altair?