Framework 13 (AMD Ryzen 7) does not reach splash screen when booting the first time

Hello, I’ve just bought a new Framework 13 (AMD Ryzen 7) laptop and built it myself, but I cannot reach the splash screen when I’m booting for the first time.

I’ve chosen to buy my own RAM and SSD in order to put in my laptop:

• Crucial P3 Plus SSD (2 TB)
  • Kingston Fury 5600-40 Impact (2 x 32GB)

I’ve tried the following things in the following order:

1. I’ve shut down the laptop, disconnected it from the charger and tried booting it. Here, the display didn’t light up and the LEDs gave me the following error code: W G G G G G G G G G G G G O G B G B B G G G
  2. After shutting down the laptop again, I shut down the laptop and reseated the RAM sticks, swapped their place with each other and reseated the SSD.
  3. After booting the laptop again, I got the same error code
  4. After rebooting the laptop, I do not get an error code anymore. Instead, the screen light ups, but nothing happens, even after 30 mins of leaving it on.

Now, I’ve kinda reached the point where I do not know what is going on, can somebody help me with this? Thank you ^^

Have you tried booting with a single stick of RAM? People have reported that booting with a single stick helps them successfully boot and following that, they can boot with 2 sticks of RAM.

I’ve just tried booting it with 1 stick of RAM placed in the DDR5 Channel 0 slot, but that also doesn’t work. When I tried booting it, I do get another POST error code:

G G G G G G G G G G G G O B G G B B B B B

Another update: I’ve tried the other RAM stick in the DDR5 Channel 0 and that gave me yet another error code:

G G G G G G G G G G G G O B G G B B G G G

This was the same error code as last night. Seeing as the only changing variable is my RAM, I assume it has something to do with that?

Maybe it’s an issue with RAM slot 0. Have you tried a single stick in slot 1?

If that doesn’t work, maybe try without the SSD and see if you can at least reach the BIOS or boot menu.

If you still can’t get anywhere (or if you find it is a bad RAM slot), I’d also recommend you get a ticket started with Framework support.

I’ve just tried that with both sticks, but that also resulted in the same error codes

I’ll try to disconnect the SSD this evening and see if it boots that way.

I would find it weird if the actual SSD or RAM is broken, I bought them new for this specific laptop. Is there a way to rule that out so that I can return them if that is the case?

Unfortunately, it’s difficult to rule out anything 100%, but if it boots without an SSD, at least you’ll have an idea that it’s either a bad drive or socket.

Either way, unless you manage to get it working fully, I would start a ticket with Framework and include details of the testing you’ve done and your results. Maybe link them to this thread as well.

Already made a support ticket last evening, but I’ll add this thread to the case. Thanks for trying to help me!

I’ve just tried disconnecting the SSD and booking it without it. This resulted in another error code:

G G G G G G G G G G G G O B G G B B B B B

Seems like I’m not getting closer to the root of the problem ^^’