Framework 13 - Linux Keyboard

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Framework 13, absolutely loving everything about it so far. I would have loved to get the Linux keyboard layout, but I needed the laptop after my macbook battery died :exploding_head:, so couldn’t wait for its availability.

Does anyone know if there will be an option to buy an individual Super key rather than an entirely new keyboard? Price isn’t really the issue—I’m more concerned about the waste involved in using an entirely new keyboard just for a single keycap. I just really want the Super key instead of the Windows key!

Thanks for any insights!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. Always nice to have another linux user loving their Framework.

I don’t know the future of course, but I’d say it pretty unlikely that FW will sell individual keycaps, at least for the current keyboard.

In other threads on rearranging or replacing keycaps FW staff has said that they’re not replaceable due to risk of breakage. Some have done it anyway, I’ve seen a couple mention breaking keys & others apparently not. This is basically the same as other laptop keyboards. Not officially removable, but you can often do it if you’re careful enough. So due to this, I don’t think FW will sell keycaps for the current design of keyboards. Perhaps in the future they could create a new version with more rugged clips to lower the risk. But I’d expect it would be hard, the key mechanisms are really tiny.

But…

You could resell your windows keyboard to remove the waste issue. Ebay, reddit.com/r/frameworkmarket, or right here on FW’s forum: Community Market - Framework Community.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome.

I doubt it as the keys are not user replaceable parts.

Edit:
Ah! Yes the above post got to you first.

What do you want … a penguin :slight_smile:

The keys are painted black, so in theory you could scrape and paint.

2 Likes

Thanks to both of you. I suspected that might be the case, but thought it was worth asking the question.

I’ll use the time until the release of the linux keyboard to ponder whether to buy and resell my existing keyboard, seems excessive but still rather tempting!

Appreciate the welcome. Be well.

1 Like

Oh, and @amoun, yes, I’d love a penguin! :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

1 Like