Framework logo as default super key

Has probably been mentioned before, but seeing as we’re finally getting the US International Linux keyboard now it got me wondering why FW doesn’t use their own logo on the super key by default?

It would even emphasize the OS-neutral approach the company has supporting both Windows & Linux.

Just a thought :smiley:

6 Likes

I also suggested this on mastodon, seems a no brainer.

1 Like

Nice, exactly! :smile: already assumed other people had the same idea.

It also makes sense from a brand perspective and I think a lot more people would keep it as the default rather than change it to the Win logo or the “super” key for Linux since they’re proud to own a FW laptop and the logo is just clean/stylish.

I’d rather see the Framework logo on the “fn”-key and some other customization options for the “super” key.

Hmm I usually don’t have a problem with the fn key myself but I can see your point and how some might want to change it as well.
Best solution would be to have the order process be a bit more modular as well (several dropdown menus for key customization like this).

Seeing they already have different keyboard layouts, individual keys should be possible as well?

But seeing as “fn” is usually the same on every layout except for placement of it and it’s not tied to something specific it doesn’t really matter for me. I wanted to stress the OS-agnostic point mostly :slight_smile:

On my Framework 16, the Framework logo is on the f12 key.

yup! on the picture that I posted with this post you can see it on the FW13 as well.
But F keys usually are either blank or have specific functionality tied to them like opening a calculator/airplane mode/play music/etc.

So it seems more logical, at least to me but maybe I’m the oddball here, to have the F12 key blank and put the FW logo a bit bigger on the super key instead.
(And again for me it’s about the OS agnosticness)

I don’t think they’ve said that it’s meant to be a “Framework” key. A similar key is found on Thinkpads, it’s just meant to be a gear, for “settings”. A gear symbol is often use as a settings or tools icon.

1 Like

The teeth of the gear are rotated like the Framework logo. Moreover, that key loads the Framework homepage on the FW16.

That may be the case, but two keys with the same symbol and a different meaning on the same keyboard does not seem like a good idea to me.

This is on windows, yes? I wasn’t aware that they set it up like that on the FWL16.

The FWL16 keyboard itself sends KC_MSEL (aka KC_MEDIA_SELECT) for the F12 key alt function, which would normally launch the default media player. But of course, within your OS, one can create shortcuts / redirect keys to do something different from the default. I’m presuming Framework’s driver package changes it within windows to a Framework homepage shortcut instead.

According to Framework it is a “Framework button”.

1 Like