Framework 16 preorder status?

Looks like you were right, yay!

From the enclosure announcement:

If you choose to add discrete graphics using a Graphics Module, the back section of the laptop extends to just under 21mm thick”

1 Like

Fingers crossed it’s closer to 1500, but I appreciate the development must be a huge engineering cost.

Anticipation is killing me… Really want to pre-order! Hopefully preorders open soon! :crossed_fingers:t2:

6 Likes

Hopefully preorders open soonish

There are only 3 more deep dives left and at the rate they have been releasing them (~every 2 weeks), I expect preorders to open mid-late August which is a bit later than I would like but if it means I do not have to wait as long for it to get shipped then I’m ok

I’ve been checking a couple of times a week to see when pre-orders are going to be open. It really would be nice to get something on the status and projected dates. The framework 16 enclosure deep dive is available, but no dimensions can be provided on size for the finial product?

One of the driving factors for going down the framework path for me is the availability or opportunity to update the processor/main-board on my laptop. So what is the status or plans on what processors (Ryzen 7040) will be available and how long it will take after introduction of new processors before a main-board is available for pre-order.

This is really a request for better communication. Yes, I understand you currently have your hands full, but something about timelines and goals would be helpful.
Thanks

2 Likes

A lot of people have been asking for Framework to reveal more information sooner. But there has been no talk or signs that things are going to happen faster. Personally, I do not see it changing.

I’ve seen some people suspect that AMD did not release information about upcoming products when they were expected to, and that this may have necessitated Framework to push back their timelines.

3 Likes

I’d like to send in a deposit, or pay in full for the 16" model with all the extended features,
I’m even excited about the beta testing version.
Please advise by email. I will respond immediately.

Sincerely, Mike Bellamy
Systems Engineer

1 Like

This is a user forum, if you would like to contact the company directly, send a message to support

Framework has not yet opened pre-orders for the Framework Laptop 16, nor have they announced when they will do so. Keep an eye on their blog and newsletter for more information.

There is no public beta program for unreleased Framework hardware. You’ll need to wait for pre-orders to open to place a deposit.

1 Like

I know the answer to this question will always be “pre-orders open when Framework decides to open them” but I am hoping that maybe somebody has heard any rumours.
I would like to order a Framework16 and I am starting to get impatient. It would really be nice to get at least a hint on when pre-orders might open up and what expected first batch shipping date will be.
At minimum, I would like to know what the chances are of having a ‘16’ in my hands this year. Any more accurate information is of course welcome.

Rumors as in leaks of information that could be somewhat reliable? Or rumors, as in something some guy on the internet made up based on the phases of the moon? Framework is a small company. 50 people, I think I recall reading. Of which not all will be privy to information such as what you want. This isn’t a massive operation like some companies, where some leaks are going to be inevitable.

I can absolutely sympathize with that. I will need a new laptop this year, but i want to to know if the F16 would make financial sense over the 13. But everytime i come on this forum and read something like this i have to remind myself, that i would much rather have a good product, that takes a bit longer to develop, than a quick product drop, where they have to fix it after the fact.
And as many have pointed out already, Framework is still a small team, but they are all the more enthusiastic about what they do. I bet each and every one of them would like to constantly show off what they are doing, but things might change for very good reasons and then people will complain, because they want it the other way and dont’t understand why it isn’t or have only read half the explaining paragraph

Every post says it will be shipping later this year. Of course pre-orders were planned for spring and are now summer, so no 100 percent guarantee. But that’s the official information we have

2 Likes

Thanks guys and thanks Mods for combining my query with the earlier thread. I looked for news but did not find this thread. I was not aware that pre orders had slipped into summer so while my question wasn’t answered directly, I have a bit more information. I will set my sights for pre orders for fall 2023 and delivery to early 2024 instead of late 2023.

2 Likes

I heard a rumor that within 2 weeks of the last deep-dive they plan to open up pre-orders.

And by rumor, I mean that’s the story I tell myself.

1 Like

I heard that too!
From a guy named RandomRanger.

So I can provide solid confirmation.

3 Likes

Seems reasonable to me, I kinda hope they keep the somewhat regular rhythm going.
Now because I’m weird and like spreadsheets and logging data, I estimate (and I’m not confirming anything nor do I have more info than everyone else) that preorders should open end of August to mid-September. Assuming they keep the pace steady, don’t add more deep dives than announced, and open preorders one period after the last deep dive.

Again, don’t expect that to happen, I just like speculating while we wait.

This feels about right with what they’ve communicated about wanting to keep the preorders closer to shipment (a clever way of saying there was a delay to shipment).

1 Like

to be fair they said from the very beginning that shipping will be “late 2023” so idk about everyone else but personally I understood that as meaning Q4 (October-December)

1 Like

Yeah, they were clear from the start that you’re not getting your FW16 this summer. And after all, pre-ordering is nice, but I’m not that upset about that getting pushed back since pre-ordering in May won’t get me the laptop any faster than pre-ordering in September.
Let’s just hope shipping won’t experience the same delay.

1 Like