Framework 16 -- Virtualization Directed I/O GPU Passthrough

Hello everyone,

I am looking at pre-ordering the Framework 16 w/ Ryzen™ 9 7940HS

I am trying to determine if it supports Virtualization and GPU Passthrough.
For Intel, the specific feature I need is Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)

I am not familiar with AMD, really only bought Intel for the past 15 years. I don’t see any type of comparable technology for AMD, but am sure I am overlooking some different name for it. Is anyone familiar with this? I need to use Windows sandbox and pass through GPU using the vGPU command.

1 Like

It’s commonly called SMV or AMD-V - support is mentioned on AMD’s product spec page for the 7940HS under Supported Extensions:

https://www.amd.com/en/product/13036

It would be down to Framework/Insyde to include it as a BIOS option, which it traditionally has. I would be very surprised if it wasn’t included.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply!

Isn’t there a difference between AMD-V and AMD-VI?
Like Intel had a difference between VT and VT-d where one allowed direct passthrough and the other was just for enabling virtualization in general

I could be wrong, I am not in any means an expert on this topic, I believe I am specifically looking for I/O MMU virtualization - x86 virtualization - Wikipedia

1 Like

Oh you’re right, sorry I missed the GPU passthrough specific in your post. Yeah, that’s called AMD-Vi, or just IOMMU.

I can’t find any recent info on AMD-Vi, other than most or all Ryzen [desktop?] CPUs support - even AMD’s full spec desktop CPUs 7900x, etc. pages don’t mention it. I can find even less info about VI on their mobile platform. I’ll keep digging and see if I can come up with anything.

2 Likes