Framework AMD 7640u overheating

Hello everyone,

my Framework 13 AMD with an 7640u is overheating when i play some games. The last game I played was Need for Speed Most Wanted the version of 2005.
The same happend with Minecraft and Grim Dawn.

SSD: WD-Black-770 1TB
RAM: Crucial RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 5600MHz CT2K16G56C46S5

HW-Info show that after the reboot the max-temp of the CPU was 96°C and the rest of the system was between 50°C and 70°C.

The laptop stands on an laptop-stand so the airflow should not be a problem.
Are there other users with similar problems?

Maby its an hardware manufracture problem or a software problem. Because when hardware got to hot it should reduce the powerconsumption to reduce the heat. But that didn’t work as far i can say.

1 Like

Does it overheat to the point that it shuts down? Does the fan run?

Sometimes it restarts on its own, sometimes the whole system freeze with a lot of graphics artifacts on the display and yes the fan is running.

In that case, I would contact support. They are a bit backed up right now (not to mention the holidays), so while you wait it might be worthwhile to pull the heatsink/fan assembly and check the thermal paste and re-apply.

Also, if you haven’t already, I would check on AMD’s website if there are any driver/firmware updates available, just in case. I don’t know if the latest updates from AMD always get pushed out through Windows update.

1 Like