Framework Fan Art 🎨🖌️

Exactly. It’s like swastika - positive symbol used by political agenda, ruining it.

3 Likes

Umm, the fist is largely used for activist motions fighting opression? While there are bad use cases, I think you all are overreacting? Comparing it to a swastika is pretty ridicuolous…

Also it’s the standard symbol for right to repair…

10 Likes

I’m gonna side with @Shiroudan here, if you don’t like the fist, that’s totally fine, but it’s such a ubiquitous symbol that it’s unreasonable to assign it a purely negative meaning.

I don’t think I would ever use it, but there’s really no reason to come to a fan art thread and go “your art makes me uncomfortable”, if it makes you uncomfortable, just ignore it.

It’s not even the fist alone either, it’s the fist with a wrench, which is a different symbol, and one for right to repair to boot, which is kinda the whole selling point of the Framework laptop

10 Likes

Just be careful what signs you are using… I “feel uncomfortable” because people using these signs destroyed my country. I am ignoring this art, no problem, but I want to give my 2 cents, consider it history lesson. It’s important that we remember so we don’t fall into the same trap as X years ago.

Be aware. That’s all.

4 Likes

Well the SwastiKa was used quite differenly given it originally meant going with the sun and good luck. That the nazi’s used it didn’t change it’s meaning but just coloured it’s use for maybe many generations.

The fist may well be used as sign of fighting oppresion but it simply a close fist provoking power.

So in the first case it is about good smooth sunny intentions and the fist is asscocited with violence. That the violence is in support of people deemed oppresed is the same reason no doubt hitler used as his excuse for violence.

The symbols have been used to represent violence and the only two issues are a) the fist was never a sign of love eminating from the soul and b) the fist is more used as a call to fight outwardly

Sure the fist gangs haven’t mobilised a national army under a symbol, well not yet anyway. Given the New Nazi’s, Nationalist, Fascists, Anti-fascists the symbol isn’t really relevant it’s just the fear or loathing of gang warfare which often coems from those who consider themselves desrving of better, which will always be at the expense of others.

It’s not the symbol that matters but the fear or discomfort that is invoked in the individual.

The right to repair isn’t benign to me. I don’t need some symbol to show the law that must be obeyed I will repair what I can if I want to. It’s a privalege and a skill and not a right.

Laws are only laws if they are enforceble and the fist looks like it’s trying to enforce something ~ it’s not for me either. Dont’t want some wayving their fistin my face as they have established the right, it just means they have the power. Yuk!

4 Likes

The fist part do have eerie resemblance to the fist that was shown in the wikipedia page.
HOWEVER:

1. Upon closer inspection, the fingers are made more angular, the area near “thenar eminence” is also slightly more angular, and the palm “crease” is also different.
  2. Perhaps more importantly, the hand is holding a adjustable wrench, which, perhaps, have more meanings than the hand itself.

Because a wrench – by and of itself – does not mean anything. It’s just a common tool in a shop. Perhaps we can understand the fist to be a symbol of “the people”, which I don’t think is a stretch.
Also, this movement is literally called right to repair. It’s not about if you are able to repair or not. It’s to put regulations in how companies should support the " repair and modify their own consumer products in ways that would help increase their lifetime and/or performance".

And also, this same graphics (albeit, without the ring, and maybe slightly rotated) is present on effectively every iFixit product. If there is a problem with said graphics, then iFixit would probably have faced a much bigger issue.

It’s simply a symbol, yes, not unlike Swa[_]ka. However, the latter is related to, well, (mostly) crazy people, but the former isn’t.

TL;DR

It’s like how if your car tire had a puncture you don’t have to go to your car dealer to get it fixed, taking three weeks, and all cars effectively use the same wheels. You can change them out yourself or at a local tire repair shop. And attempting to apply this idea to other consumer products (including John Deere tractors).

And locked cellphones tied to a specific carrier’s networks.

I think we have had enough discussion on this matter, and we are getting way off topic and approaching “extreme discussion” territory.

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Religious, cultural, political discussion about the swastika

This is getting very off-topic and could become inflammatory. Let’s get back to the fan art please.

15 Likes

Bottom left’s my favourite! :orange_heart:

9 Likes

Agree! I dig the bottom left as well! It’s the BOLD version of the one on the bottom right.

7 Likes

Discussion around the swastika was moved to its own thread to keep this thread on topic.

8 Likes

The top “row” is just showing the process I went through to smooth out the pixels.

Technically the one on the right is closer to the framework logo, but the smaller hole on the left make it look more cute

2 Likes

Not my work, and not directly framework, but I thought some of you guys might appreciate this poster by the right to repair movement.

5 Likes

I thought those were framework logos… Confirmation bias is real

2 Likes

What logos? Not the nuts they are regular :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey guys, I created a background that combines the sustainable and the modern side of Framework, in a minimalistic approach. It’s a bit of a style break but I hope you like it as much as I do :slight_smile:

27 Likes

Has anyone noticed the picture at 47:00 in the Launch Event video?

Appropos of a discussion early on in this thread (look for Feb '22 and read everything down to my “slug” remark), I think this could make for a great piece of fan art - perhaps with the logo added…?

Just a thought…

4 Likes

My first reaction is “omg EMR screen lets gooo” rather than “hmm cool pen you had”.
I don’t think it is too Framework related, but nevertheless.

cool picture idea:

I want to see someone do a blender render. The squares are your expansion deck/module/cards and they are flying in to the laptop to, well, fill in the gaps or whatsnot.
Kinda like Tetris posters.

Or kinda like a “exploded view” technical drawing. Basically is saying “hey our laptop can do this. Buy it and unleash creativity” or whatsnot.

4 Likes

Hello! I wanted to share my Lego Fan project of a Framework Laptop! I made a 13 inch mock up a while ago but upon hearing about the showcase of “something new” i wanted to wait. I’m still not quite done yet but I couldn’t wait to render this out and show everyone!

17 Likes

Wow! That is so cool! If you could release the brick requirements and instructions, I’d be so down for building it IRL!

5 Likes