Framework internal display connector to DP port?

That might be a winner if you want hdmi. Looks like just straight edp lanes into an active DP->HDMI converter. And at least the placement of the lanes looks right on first glance.

This one kinda looks like it converts form their custom edp out pinout to dp which is probably not that useful here. Also holy hell the price.

A passive adapter would literally just have to connect the 5 differential pairs (4 lanes and aux) and hot-plug detect (and 3.3v power if you want to use semi passive adapters but I’d just leave this out personally) to the corresponding pins on both ends, nice and length matched and all that but still should not be that hard (famous last words I guess XD).

Thanks Adrian,

I want HDMI (going to turn my 11th gen motherboard into my media HTPC so it’s going to be connected to a TV), so I should be okay with the first adapter board (that I have already received).

On the second link (eDP to DP), the picture shows a much larger board than needed, maybe ITX size, so I think it is not showing the adapter and consequently only focused on the text for determining if it would have a chance of serving the purpose.
And yes, it’s quite expensive for what it is.

Yes I was assuming the picture was a placeholder. Thing is board side edp connectors are absolute wild west and everyone does them differently, sometimes different from product to product from the same manufacturer even. Display side is a lot more “civilized” where there are a few de-facto standards and a few outliers.

Still though an usb-c to hdmi adapter would be the safer solution.

Yes, I also have a USB-C hub that includes an HDMI port as a backup option in case the eDP adapter proves to not work… provided the “not working” would not have fryed the mainboard.

I tried this eDP/DP adapter out to see if it would work, but as expected, it does not. It’s probably doing something with HPD in a way that it’s not just passed through.

eDP to DP would be a trivial board to make, but it seems nobody has ever had a reason to make it before.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805835053792.html

2 Likes

Is that the right link?
It appears to be DP to eDP direction. And the picture shows it attached to a bare display panel.

1 Like

Yes, the board is supposed to be DP->eDP, meaning it is providing power to the backlight. However, the signals should all be connected, meaning it could have worked as eDP->DP as well. It did not, possibly due to how HPD is handled on the board. I didn’t attempt to debug further.

2 Likes

I was searching around for a KiCAD footprint, and found that someone did actually build this board: Gallery | Direct digital negative UV printer - MkIII | Hackaday.io

https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/tvQInJ9m

3 Likes

Just dropped in to say that Framework now offers the display cable in the marketplace. Not sure when this was added but I just noticed it. This solves the hardest part of what I’m trying to achieve - sourcing the mating connector on the mainboard side.

I’ve now got breakout boards for DP output and FPC so I should be able to cobble something semi-janky to get the display output connector converted to a standard DP output.

Why?? I no longer remember why I wanted to do this… to avoid using one of the USB-C ports to plug in an adapter??

Who knows! But I have parts and some free time now that I’m done with school (finally got my BSEE!!) so I might as well splice 'em together and see what happens lol.

Will update with how this goes…

7 Likes

Hey did you get around to testing it out?