Framework Laptop, Starting at $999, Pre-orders are Open!

We’re excited to announce that pre-orders are now open for the Framework Laptop! Our company is founded on the vision of upgradeable, customizable, repairable consumer electronics products that last longer, without compromising quality, power, or style. The Framework Laptop is thin, light, and high-performance, and we’re happy to share that it starts at a fantastic price point too: $999.

The Framework Laptop

The Framework Laptop is an ultraportable 13.5” notebook that is easy to upgrade, customize, and repair in ways that no other high-performance notebook can be. Every part of the product can be individually replaced or upgraded as needed. This means it can stay great for longer, all while reducing your environmental footprint by creating less e-waste.

With the Framework Laptop, we’re proving that modularity doesn’t mean giving up on form factor and style. The system is just 15.85mm thick and 1.3kg, and it has a durable 50% post-consumer recycled aluminum enclosure. With a 3:2 aspect ratio 2256x1504 display, a fantastic 1080p 60fps webcam with hardware privacy switches, a high cycle-life 55Wh battery, and a great feeling 1.5mm key travel keyboard, it’s designed for the future of work, wherever that takes you.

The Framework Laptop delivers excellent performance, with the latest Intel 11th Gen Core i5 and i7 Processors and upgradeability to Wi-Fi 6E, up to 64GB of DDR4 memory, and 4TB or more of Gen4 NVMe storage. The entire mainboard is replaceable too, enabling upgrades to future CPU generations.

On top of all of that, the Framework Laptop is deeply customizable in unique ways. Our Expansion Card system lets you choose the ports you want and which side you want them on, selecting from four at a time of USB-C, USB-A, HDMI, DisplayPort, MicroSD, ultra-fast 250GB, and 1TB storage, and more. Magnetic-attach bezels are color-customizable to match your style, and the keyboard language can be swapped too.

We’ve made upgrades and repairs incredibly straightforward. The only tool you need is the Framework Screwdriver we include in the box. Every module has a QR code on it that you can scan for step-by-step instructions, support information, and a link to order a replacement from the Framework Marketplace.

Configurations

Base (starting at $999 USD)

Powerful and upgradeable performance out of the box.

• i5-1135G7 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.20GHz)
  • 8GB DDR4, 256GB NVMe SSD, Wi-Fi 6
  • Windows 10 Home

Performance (starting at $1399 USD)

Twice the memory and storage and a faster CPU for heavy-duty multitasking.

• i7-1165G7 (12M Cache, up to 4.70GHz)
  • 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Wi-Fi 6
  • Windows 10 Home

Professional (starting at $1999 USD)

Even more memory and storage, plus enterprise management functionality.

• i7-1185G7 (12M Cache, up to 4.80GHz)
  • 32GB DDR4, 1TB NVMe SSD, Wi-Fi 6 vPro
  • Windows 10 Pro

Don’t Wait to Pre-order

To make pre-ordering as easy as possible, we’ll only be taking a fully refundable $100 deposit at the time of order. We’ll give you a heads up when we’re preparing to ship your system and then collect the balance of the order. We also offer a 30-day return guarantee and a 1-year limited warranty.

We’re opening pre-orders in the US today, with Canada coming in the next few weeks. We’ll be taking orders in additional countries in Asia and Europe before the end of the year, and you can sign up to get notified when we launch in your region.

We’re ramping into mass production now, but worldwide supply constraints this year will limit the number of Framework Laptops we have available at launch. To manage through this, we’ll be taking pre-orders in batches, with the first batch shipping by the end of July. We’ll automatically open additional batches with later ship dates as we sell out of earlier ones. The best way to ensure you get your Framework Laptop early is to pre-order today!

– Nirav and the Framework Team

7 Likes

So you mention a $100 deposit in the post. In my order screen, its shows a deposit balance of $0 (I did order the DIY so I don’t now if that’s different). Will the deposit happen latter?

Batch 1 club, I can’t wait to wipe my x1 carbon and put it on ebay :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Took a couple tries, but put my order in for an 1165 DIY kit with basically nothing else included. Gonna get 2x USB-C, 2x USB-A, and an SD card to start with. :smiley:

I think the DIY prices are reasonable, if I include the items I’m bringing myself the total cost is cheaper (~$1400 vs $1700) than an identically configured Surface Laptop 4, except with way more I/O and way more serviceability.

2 Likes

Took many, many tries for me, and at one point I got aconfirmation that my card was charged, but then saw a Server 500 error, and after waiting several minutes, the site came back and said I had no orders. Second time, it worked, but that time I got a confirmation email from both the card and Framework.

Any ideas how to make sure that extra payment gets returned? I figure I’ll wait a few days to see if the auth expires.

Super happy to have gotten the preorder confirmation and I’m really looking forward to shipping!

Thanks for your patience everyone as we work through the extreme load on the website right now! There are some transactions that were in the pipeline and should reflect in your user accounts. If you’re still seeing issues on your order at the end of the day today, please reach out to our support team.

3 Likes

I’m surprised that the DIY version is about $100 more for the same parts as a pre-built. Are we paying for the labor of individually having the boxes prepared? I was expecting to pay less (I know no price claims were made, I was just hopeful).

What’s the reason behind the un-intuitive price difference?

I still plan on getting the laptop, I just thought I would be able to get a fun project by saving a buck. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@XenoCow our intent is for it to be as close as possible, but differences in Windows retail licenses and retail memory and storage along with logistics costs differences push up DIY Edition prices. If you are using Linux or can get Windows through a education or MSDN account, DIY Edition can be cheaper than the pre-built versions.

3 Likes

The DIY edition really makes more sense if you’re planning to source components from multiple places, or already have some compatible items to use.

Great news. Congratulations on this milestone!! Disappointed that Canada didn’t get the the option to get in the first batch (expect it will sell out before you get Canada on board), but I understand the work of starting up a sales pipeline of this scale and complexity. And, our different tax rates (but Solidus handles that?) and needing to apply for an HST registration? Anyway, there are friends and reshipping companies in the US :slight_smile:
P.S. May your inbox be flooded with orders!

2 Likes

I think that’s exactly what I’ll do then since I plan on using this laptop just for school/work reasons. I don’t think I need any non-linux programs. Thanks for the suggestion. I look forward to the end of July!

1 Like

The only obstacle to making an order now for me is the US-specific keyboard. Is there any chance to get an international layout version soon? Or can I make a pre-order and change only the keyboard, if it will be available this summer, of course.

I wanted no operating system but my DIY order with Win home would have been $60 more than your non-DIY. So by leaving off Win Home I didn’t save $139. I understand that DIY prices might be close to prebuilt but in this case it is costing more.

If i buy a non-DIY system with windows10 do i get the windows key or is it pre installed? And if it is pre installed can i get the key (License) anyway? I ask because i sometimes wipe my whole boot drive and reinstall windows.

1 Like

@Tom_Wern there are some differences in pricing driven by the difference between Retail memory, storage, and Windows and the OEM equivalents.

@lol_257 the license is pre-installed on the mainboard for the pre-built systems, and you should be able to reinstall Windows without issues. Microsoft provides some guides you can follow to preserve your license across hardware changes too: Reactivating Windows after a hardware change

2 Likes

Congratulations on the launch! I’m really looking forward to seeing people review these devices and maybe get my own some day!

Maybe I’m missing something, but this link leads to your homepage and I can’t find any way to sign up to get notified when this launches in Europe.

2 Likes

@iFreilicht we’re adding a banner visible if you’re outside the US with a link to get notified. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get that in for today, but it should be there soon.

3 Likes

I need someone to double check my math here. The first image is the picture of the pre-order I made.

This second image is of a same exact configuration but I made it just a few min ago, and it is $150 cheaper?

Am I missing something? I don’t think the tax is included in either price so I don’t believe that would account for it. Neither one has Windows 10 or storage as part of the configuration. Am I missing something obvious?

edit: Somehow ordered 4 x 8gb sticks of ram and 2 wifi cards? Framework support was awesome and its all figured out now

1 Like

Congratulations on a momentous day! There are bound to be hiccoughs, but that’s all part of getting something started.

In a way I feel fortunate, I am in Canada and I have advance notice of what to plan for financially before I order.

My committment to support you team: I pledge to but a Framework laptop at whatever price it is, when I can afford it, and be understanding of any teething pains, delivery wait times, defects, or otherwise… because suporting this is supporting the change I want to see in the world!

Great work @nrp @ctl @Kieran_Levin @Poyu_Chen @ Kate Chouinard @L_Mit @Mendy @ Adila Lai @ Alfie Lin @Anne_Pena @ Kai Chan @Jehan_Suleman @ Valerie Buckingham @ Eunice Su @ Linfeng Li

:dizzy::rainbow::boom::1st_place_medal::rocket:

3 Likes

I am looking forward to order one in Europe!

5 Likes