Framework Phone Concept

@Charles_Thompson

The business/DoD angle is a great idea, specially because having a device with the Framework philosophy that can be easily repaired in the field or modified would be a big plus.

I hope they consider the 10" laptop.

Availability. Even if I wanted to buy either of those phone in Canada, it’s not going to happen without me sacrificing connectivity or some other problem (i.e no parts).

If Framework did come out with a phone, it would be at the top of my list for sure.

2 Likes

Have you read some topics of the Fairphone site, parts are unlikely to be an issue.

Clove ship worldwide, the whole phone, accessories and parts, excluding stand alone batteries.

There are still missing frequencies for CA and USA users. I don’t know about others, but that is an absolute dealbreaker for me.

When I need it, I need my phone to work & work well. Service providers do not even provide good general service maps. Let alone the option to see coverage if you are missing 3 of their bands. And it’s some low frequency bands it’s missing. Which can be essential for penetrating trees, vehicles and buildings. Depending on your provider & location, primary bands used for coverage.

3 Likes

With the introduction of eSims and iSims, maybe these will be worsened or alleviated. However, One issue I see as a drawback is that manufacturers will drop SD Card compatibility as well with this adaptation, just , justith the transformation of wireless headphones.

-deviating from this, relating to headphone jacks. What if we got a standardized optical port? It would provide super low latency audio, although with specific configurations, slight bends in the cable cause disruption. I’m aware dense wavelength division multiplexing prevents this to an extent. It would be cool to see a company adopt this format for audio processing at a consumer-level cost.

Was just thinking about how awesome it would be if Framework made a mobile phone.

A Framework Phone with the ease of repairability/endomodular parts like Fairphones and Shiftphones but actually upgradable and customizable internal parts and attachments would be really nice! :wrench: + :screwdriver::calling:

Component manufacturers like LG and Samsung already offers standardized, off-the-shelf camera modules and displays so it would be awesome to be able to pick n’ choose which components in a “Framework Phone 1” to upgrade to what’s offered in a hypothetical “Framework Phone 2” – say only swapping one of multiple cameras, a more energy-dense battery, and upgrading to a microLED display instead of the chassis, main motherboard, and I/O module(s) as well.

Between Moto Mods and Google’s Project Ara the idea of magnetically attaching and connecting outer attachments (or “exomodules”) on the back or even the sides of the device would be insanely cool too.

Seems like Google lent Phandroid the Project Ara prototype in 2017 for a hands-on feature.

Then Completing the Circuit somehow acquired it in 2020 and completed a long-term review on it to the best of his abilities:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyuGUvcYDF0CPfUHb3myKBfb-XfEKV_Ln&si=qHnSy076HmJMAX2g

The most amazing potential would be if Framework were to collaborate with Fairphone and Shiftphone to make and ensure cross-brand support for certain hardware and software (say cameras, batteries, and validated Linux distros & Android flavors) to be easily interchangeable and interoperable between phone models of all three brands.

1 Like