Last week, my Framework laptop arrived in the Netherlands. Most things are working fine with Linux. However, my speakers are not working with al the distro’s i’ve tried. Ubuntu and Fedora wont find the speakers of the Framework Laptop. Most options in the settings menu are greyed out, because nothing is found.
Strange enough, Windows 11 did find the speakers and are working correctly.
Also, my 3,5mm headphone jack is not working with any headphone or speaker. I’ve already contact the Framework Support about this.
Are more people having the issue with the headphone jack?
Update: Did some more research: I make a new Ubuntu 22.04 install USB. When running in live-cd mode, the speakers are working now! However, the headphone jack still not working, and when rebooting the laptop with the same USB, no speakers are found. Looks like there is something wrong with the jack on the audioboard, maybe soldering?
Win 11 is still working fine with the speakers every boot.
try using Ubuntu 21.10.
Ubuntu 22.04 is still on beta, so that might be a reason.
More information you can read here, too: LINK
If you are dual-booting, make sure you disable Windows “fast boot” (or whatever it is called) in the power management section of Windows settings and ensure Windows is fully shut down before booting to Linux.
I’m experiencing this same issue with a brand new Framework 11g i5, except it affected at least 5 different Linux distros (PopOS and Ubuntu 22.04 + 21.04, Arch latest, Void Linux, Ubuntu 20.04, Ubuntu 18.04, Manjaro) across both disk and live USB usage.
This occurred before ever installing Windows onto the laptop.
The machine has a Tempo codec chip as expected and the issue is that the snd_hda_intel driver is unable to probe, connect or detect the Analog outputs of the chip itself.
I’ve tried every combination of workarounds and probe_mask settings possible, everything outlined on this forum to potentially resolve broken audio - it simply seems that Linux is unable to communicate with the codec in my laptop correctly.
I’ve talked to others in the #linux channel on discord that have what appear to be identical laptop hardware (batchless, tempo, i5) that do not have this issue.
Relevant error messages are:
[ 10.325268] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: a
zx_get_response timeout, switching to polling mode: last cmd=0x000f0000
[ 11.337866] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: No response from codec, disabling MSI: last cmd=0x000f0000
[ 12.341390] snd_hda_intel 0000:00:1f.3: Codec #0 probe error; disabling it...
Have also emailed framework support about this (no response so far), and at this point I’ve run out of things to try - there’s clearly either an issue with the hardware on this particular laptop that isn’t playing well with the snd_hda_intel driver, or something else is going on. I can’t imagine that this is a widespread problem otherwise everybody with a Tempo chip would be reporting no audio on Linux…