Great Review from LTT!

I think I found Framework in March, maybe? I was looking for, primarily, privacy-respecting laptops, like the Purism lines, and System76, but when I saw the modularity, I was hooked. The LTT video just confirms my hopes, and makes me glad I waited. I’ve been running a ca. 2013 Thinkpad Carbon X1 (1st gen), that’s starting to feel like it’s getting long in the tooth. I was eager to replace it, but took a chance and have now waited patiently through to the pre order day, and now to the shipping day (should be almost here!).

I’m super excited that all the new people have flooded into this community, because that makes me even more hopeful that Framework will last. You can have a great product and get killed by low adoption. Thanks, Linus, for drumming up the support for this product! We definitely need more like it.

3 Likes

Linus convinced me to order one too. lol

4 Likes

My next laptop is going to say framework on it.

2 Likes

@FaultedBeing Oh shit really? I think I’ll sink some extra money to move up to Batch 3 then. Thanks for the heads-up

UPDATE: I just found out from support that my own i5 order is still shipping in September- they’re only pushing back new orders by a month. Phew!

1 Like

Ended up discovering Framework thanks to Linus’s video and just pre-ordered the i5 DIY! I had an SSD, RAM, and WiFi card ready to go for a Razer Blade 15 I was planning on upgrading, but it literally died thanks to a short and I need something for the upcoming school year. Thankfully, Batch 4 ships midway through my Fall quarter!

1 Like

The Linus Tech Tips (LTT) is discussing about Framework.

[1:17:12] Topic #7: Linus wishing to invest in Framework.

8 Likes

@junaruga I’m glad Linus chose to not invest in Framework in the end. It’s much more valuable for him to promote the company for free when he can, while still having his credibility and non-bias as a tech reviewer

6 Likes

It would be great if some youtuber can test the cooling capability!

1 Like

@Leonard_Tao Linus touched on it briefly in his review.

1 Like

I’m also interested in this Laptop and yes the features of this laptop makes it very appealing. I am waiting to see if the company survives and then thinking of buying a laptop from them. Still in the Eu is not available.

1 Like

Given that the review is closing in on 3M now and even Louis Rossman gave his endorsement, I’d say in terms of publicity you got some pretty decent backers.

2 Likes

Not sure if someone’s mentioned it yet but I just caught up with the WAN Show from last night. Some of you will remember there was a discussion in a previous WAN Show about whether it would be wise for Linus to invest in Framework. At the very end of last night’s show, Linus confirmed that he decided to go ahead. It wasn’t a topic for the show as he said he would be making a separate video about his decision. I have to say I am in two minds about it. Much as I think it great that Framework are attracting more investment, I am not sure whether Linus could do more from the outside. I will reserve my opinion until I see his video.

10 Likes

@njf Oh wow. I didn’t think he was going to go through with it.

1 Like

Interesting. Well at least he’ll have a video explaining himself why he actually invested

1 Like

Linus’ investment video coming soon.

Luke likes it as well and references Louis’ recent video.

12 Likes

@njf thanks for the hint!
Have a nice day!

2 Likes

Linus’ only tease of his upcoming investment video so far is that if Framework ever strays away from its pro-consumer philosophy it currently has, he will pull out of his investment in a public and messy way. Damn lol

From his perspective it seems like Linus believes Framework is taking this mission seriously though so that’s good. I’m just wondering how Linus’ role in getting the word out about Framework will change now that he has a holding position in the company, which will be addressed in that upcoming video…

5 Likes

Linus has now given his reasons. (Video sponsored by iFixit!) Surprisingly to me, he even says how much he has invested.

Edit: @Rupert_Woods just beat me to it in another thread.

4 Likes
3 Likes

With Linus personally investing, it’ll be interesting to see what happens in 6-12 months when we start seeing the inevitable knockoffs, clones, and aftermarket parts: Will they be reviewed? How favorably or harshly?

4 Likes