HDMI audio output missing (Win11)

Framework Laptop: Intel 12th gen
Monitor: Gigabyte G27Q
Updated drivers? Yes

Hello there!
Recently got my framework laptop and I’ve been having some trouble with my monitor setup.
The audio output for my monitor doesn’t seem to be recognized by my laptop through HDMI. I’ve tried both the HDMI expansion card and a USB C dock I had lying around and had no luck with windows recognizing my monitor as an audio output.

Any ideas to fix this? Thanks!

Edit:
Just to be clear, the HDMI video output does work. I’m getting 1440p 144hz output so it’s likely HDMI 2.0.

Does the HDMI cable play audio on other devices?
Is the monitor set up to allow sound playback?
Have you checked the Windows Device manager and post the devices that appear once you attach the monitor via HDMI?
Maybe you’re missing drivers.

Hi there!
@Anachron

I’ve used the same monitor before with another laptop and HDMI video+audio worked. The monitor does have internal speakers and as far as I can tell the internal monitor settings don’t have any special setting regarding the audio (other than volume).
In Windows device manager I’ve found that the “HD Audio Driver for Display Audio” is having trouble. This is likely related to my HDMI audio issue as this device only enables when I plug in the monitor.
Exact details:
There are two “HD Audio Driver for Display Audio” devices that show up when the monitor is plugged in.
Both show issues in the events log and I’ve compiled all the issues here:

First HD Audio device:

Device HDAUDIO … had a problem starting.
Driver Name: hdaudio.inf
Service: HdAudAddService
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

Driver Name: oem73.inf
Service: AcxHdAudio

Second HD Audio device:

Driver Name: oem73.inf
Service: (this was empty)

Please check if you can install missing drivers or at least reinstall current ones.

I’ve tried it out with the following driver combos:
Framework intel 12th gen drivers
Framework intel 12th gen drivers + intel iris xe graphics drivers

Neither setups worked out, both had similar issues of audio devices not working (and on the occasions that they did start without error codes it didn’t show anything in the windows audio outputs).

Anyone else having this issue with other hdmi devices?

Im currently having the exact issue, have you found a fix yet?

No luck :confused:
I use headphones a lot so hasn’t been much of a problem for me.
Also, it’s likely not a problem with the 1st gen HDMI expansion card since the issue still exists through my usb c dock.