HELP REQUEST: FWL13 suddenly stopped charging

This was also sent into Framework support a few moments ago, and I did search this site and didn’t come up with an exact match for my issue. So, I wanted to see if the brain trust here has any additional ideas:


As of yesterday, my FWL13 with 13th gen i5 is no longer charging it’s battery. I have plugged it into three different third party ~100W USB-C sources and cables, each of which has charged this laptop no problem previously. However, the indicator light on that coast stays amber instead of turning white, and cat /system/class/power_supply/BAT1/status stays “Discharging”. Battery power goes down as if zero USB-C power is being used at all.

I plan to open the lower shell to unseat and reseat the battery connector carefully. Any other troubleshooting steps I should try? I do have an 11th Gen i5 also that I could plug the battery into, to rule in/out battery failure.

I believe this main board was purchased more than 1 but less than 2 years ago (Feb '24 IIRC), but I am on an RMA replacement due to graphics issues that was sent to me right at the end of 2024. Not sure if it qualifies for a warranty or goodwill replacement or not.

Let me know anything else I should try!

Small update, on the 4th or 5th try it did actually take the Battery Disconnect -Yes + removal of battery connector and actually proceed to boot. Prior to that it would light the power button icon, coast LED stayed amber, and it wouldn’t get to a framework logo screen even. Computers: where trying the same thing over and over again is not an insane thing to do, you may actually get different results on a subsequent attempt. So at least I can do the work I need to do before replacement parts could show up.

I put the battery from the laptop into my 11th Gen homelab mainboard. The homelab mainboard is charging it just fine…

Going to go ahead and proactively order a 61Wh battery (even though I’d prefer a 55 sure to the failure/ degradation rate of the 61).

Support isn’t back to normal hours until the 5th apparently. Ugh.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.