How will you use your Framework Laptop 16?

Dying light, The Witcher 3, Dead Space, some multiplayer games when family is playing (Yes, I met my wife playing left4dead, and the kids are all gamers too. So sometimes we make some real rampage evenings. usually the kids decide :smiley: ) etc., RC Plane simulator Aerofly

1 Like

Oh damn that’s awesome. The Witcher 3 is honestly one of my favourite games ever. It really is, in my opinion, a work of art.

2 Likes

3rd person RPGs like the Witcher 3, as well as FPS games like Halo or CoD. Mostly though I prefer games with a good story. I’ll take a compelling story over just pure action any day.

1 Like

It is. I started over 3 times, the 2 levels …

1 Like

I 100% agree. It was the first game I beat once I got back into gaming last year, and I’ve started a New Game + on it because it’s just so good.

2 Likes

minecraft and fallout 4 are my two perennials, both of which have been going well on the deck, but minecraft (as i like to mod it) runs into ram limitations. the fw 16 will not meaningfully have those.

plenty of other things as well, but my steam backlog is much like any long term gamer’s: extensive and evidence of more impulse buys than it should be.

will also hopefully do some coop gaming (like jorg, met my spouse through online stuff); deep rock galactic has been a recent one, when health permits (i wish more multiplayer games permitted pausing)

on the topic of modded minecraft, i have an excuse to show off another one of my weird projects as it’s topical (i’ll be using my fw16 to work on it, after all, it’s due for porting to a newer mc version):

1 Like

Rock and stone!

2 Likes

For me, general use, some work, and gaming. I’m wondering how well it will run games like Valheim.

Pretty well I suspect. My 1080TI could run it well above 60 fps at UWQHD, therefore it’ll be quite good on this laptop, too. I think the 1080TI and the RX 7700S are very similar in performance.

1 Like

Minecraft well … Minecraft DXR

1 Like

Solid works, PUBG, and perhaps half life: Alyx (some VR) if 7700s could

3 Likes
  1. Video editing
  2. Photogrammetry
  3. LLM research, training, and testing
  4. Occasional gaming (KSP2 and Minecraft)
  5. Lurking on this forum
1 Like

Yeah - hoping since SW has historically run OK on lower spec machines for me (surface pro 3!), FW16+GPU should be a walk in the park.

2 Likes

I’m replacing a decade-old i5-4670K with a GTX 1080 (that part being less than a decade old, but not by a lot). As I’m forced to move to Windows 11, I’d like to do so on supported hardware. I don’t game as much as I’d like these days and use Geforce Now for more intensive games anyway, so I’m hoping that moving away from a desktop is worth the trade-off to have my “primary” computer available wherever I want to use it.

I’m a big fan of the Framework concept, and I really like the idea of a QMK-powered laptop keyboard, so I decided to jump in with the 16. Should be getting it next week; here’s hoping it works as expected!

2 Likes

I decided on a Ryzen 9, A 64GB ram kit I already have, reusing/buying storage separately and no GPU as I don’t plan on gaming. for the ports I decided on 3 usb-c, 2 usb-a and a headphone jack. I also bought an ethernet for initial wifi driver install. I haven’t decided on the configuration yet. I plan on using it mainly for programming and I am going to run Alpine Linux on it.

1 Like

I bought the 7840 with dGPU.
Black bezel. I chose both black spacers and a numpad. Linux keyboard.
16 gigs ram (2 sticks) with a 2 TB short SSD. I have a 4 TB long SSD waiting to drop in.

Expansion cards: DP, HDMI, ethernet, USB-A, microSD, 3 USB-C.

Setup:
Rear: 2 USB-C
Mid: Storage/HDMI
Front: MicroSD/USB-A

I also have a Framework 13 (going to someone else when the 16 arrives). I have a 1 TB storage card with Fedora 39 on it that I’ve been using as a boot drive to keep my information private. When the 16 arrives I’ll slot it in and be able to ‘hit the ground running’ using it. I’ll install Windows on the small SSD, Gentoo on the big SSD and have Fedora as a backup if I need a recovery drive to fix something or I’m in the mood for a break from Gentoo. Hopefully in the meantime Red Hat will fix the AMD power issues on Fedora.

Ok, framework support is not letting me remove the GPU like I had planned so I am undecided if I am going to keep it or cancel my batch 12 order.

Is there room to put something in the second M.2 slot with the 4 TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD installed or is it too big?

IMHO it should work as it is a single-sided SSD.

1 Like

Testing out different linux distros and seeing how i like ways other than your typical debian based sudo stuff. as well as giving me a portable system to game with for various things with friends mainly emulator station.