How will you use your Framework Laptop 16?

I respectfully suggest that the mods merge this thread with my earlier thread on this topic How will you use your Framework Laptop 16?

1 Like

Damn. This is neat.

but useless atm XD

i poke at it at high energy spans (not that i’ve had one lately), but i got kinda hung up on i/o semantics. i’m like, 3 design pieces short of it being able to do real work, at which point i get to try to write a compiler in it (instead of just the bare-bones c hosted one), which will actually be the real fun.

It will be my daily driver, both personal and work (computer engineer).

My last personal laptop is a XPS 13 from 2016 that can’t hold charge any more…
I’m usually on the work laptop, current one is a 2020 MBP which:

• holds barely one hour on moderate use
  • doesn’t have near enough memory to support my needs: 32 GB, I usually end up with 16 GB of swap => I went for 64 GB
  • can’t support to have Google Meet and my IDE open: if I do both at once, the text in editors refreshes once every 3 seconds => an absolute nightmare for pair programming

Asked for a refresh, IT said not until 1 or 2 years => it will collect dust while I’ll enjoy running NixOS on my shiny new FW16 ^^

6 Likes

Look, man, that’s better than pretty much anything I’ve done in my career to date. So far I’ve only written (way too many) lines of C for some rockets. I’d love to be able to write my own language to work with the custom architecture of the onboard computers.

I’m using a 2020 MSI with 16GB of memory… Full stack dev and trying to open the front and backend code with chrome makes it have to spin and wait every time I go to find a usage. I was givien a large 4k Monitor so I can have everything open at once and just glance at the API and frontend, but I can’t actually have them open at the same time due to memory limitations. I fear ever going back below 64GB… but the ones they want to replace this one with only have 32GB *intense sobbing begins *.

This wouldn’t be so bad, but we are also required to use Windows and use Linux via remote or Hyper-V for anything that requires it.

heh. i hear you. not that this would be a good pick for embedded stuff, not without degrees of runtime wizardry for optimization that are beyond my capabilities. honestly, i expect it to perform horribly, but this thing is about developer (hi, that’s me, i have special needs) ergonomics rather than high perf. and even being designed for concurrency is probably not going to claw much back in most workloads.

ftr, because this is the thing i’m most proud of, i have not a single line of platform-specific c code in my repo, and it compiles and runs* on win, mac, and linux.

mega flex. (of course i know that can’t last forever, but i’ll leverage my libraries handling platform-specific semantics as long as i possibly can)

*for very specific values of “runs”; right now i’m still hardcoding which file it launches in the main .c file.

What about Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL)? It’s built into Windows starting in Windows 10, and it’s fantastic!

1 Like

Oh developer brain is all too familiar to me haha. I’m currently working as a software engineer at a pretty dead-end gig, but I’d love to find a position where I can use both my aero engineering and programming skills at the same time.

Oh damn, 16 GB nowadays for devs is so little, unless maybe with fast but soldered SSD to swap like crazy…
I mean, even a Jira tab in Chromium eats up 500 MB…
Add a few Docker containers on top of that…

In which batch is your preorder ?

2 Likes

Batch 1, not allowed to use personal machines with any work code though (security requirement). FW16 is going to replace my ~5yo System76 laptop (loved it but it’s aging).

2 Likes

I forget that WSL can run GUI apps now, although I could probably have used it for some cli tools if I’d have considered it. When I’m provisioned a new one I may ask about getting permission to enable it.

3 Likes

But that’s also just a VM, isn’t it?
I prefer running it bare metal, as then I don’t waste multiple GB RAM for useless background processes like windows updates…
There’s a few issues I run into here and there, but mostly I’ve been able to stay on Hyprland for the past 6 months. The only exceptions being VR and Dirac Live for speaker calibration.

VR I hope will get better soon thanks to Valves rumored standalone Linux based VR headset (similar to the deck, which is supposed to be an intermediary).

Dirac Live… idk I’ll just have to get a decent laptop with a second GPU for passthrough and fix the networking issue, likely it’ll only connect to devices in the same network which wasn’t possible on my laptop and just WiFi, as there’s no bridging in WiFi, only one MAC address can use the link.

But overall it’s just so much nicer with all this configurability and peace of mind that there’s way less telemetry collected on you - oh and most games run better, too.

1 Like

I work as a land surveyor. So I will use it for work with CAD programs, survey programs, office work…and some recreational gaming if I have some spare time. Framework does not ship to my country at this time. So no hurry. At least the quirks should be ironed out by the time it is available.

Planning on using it as my dedicated software dev machine. Will give me the flexibility to move around if I need to and will be less heavy and occupy less space than my current Clevo laptop. Will probably cool better too since the Clevo’s fans are dying but a suitable replacement is hard to find.
It’ll be good to have a way to test things on AMD hardware, and I can always deploy on my desktop if I want to check an Nvidia + Intel combination.

1 Like

I do Industrial Design, so I’ll be using it for Solidworks and Fusion 360, cadding, rendering and detailing. Hoping for the upgradability, looking forward to repairability, but my main motivation is being responsible for less electronic waste.

1 Like

I’ll use my framework mainly for CAD as it’s something I enjoy but my current laptop struggles with designs sometimes. I also might take the time to learn blender as well as it seems pretty powerful but I can never seem to understand it. I also might play games occasionally on the laptop though likely it’ll be pretty rarely. College as well potentially if my classes require it. As for my configuration. I got batch 15

• AMD Ryzen™ 7040 Series
  • Expansion Bay Shell Module
  • LED Matrix*2
  • Ethernet
  • USB-C*2
  • USB-A*2
  • Clear Ansi Keyboard
  • PUSKILL Memoria DDR5 32GB*2(64GB) 5200MHz
  • KingSpec NX 2280 1TB SSD
1 Like

Primarily my FW16 will be used as my work computer. I am an IT consultant, so I need to be able to run VMs to test out solutions for customers, and do some light dev work.

I also fully intend to game on the PC outside of work using a personal profile, as it is higher specs than my current gaming rig.

I’d love to know if the setup actually allows me to run my CFD models against possible craft designs, though that’s probably asking a bit much of any laptop. I find myself taking quite a few weekend trips out of town, and to be able to do some early modelling before really spending lots of time taxing my desktop would be nice.

1 Like

What kind of games do you most enjoy playing?

1 Like