Is anyone using both a 2230 and a 2280 SSD?

I’m thinking of adding a 2230 SSD to my FW16, and I’d like to check on the communities experiences using an SSD in both slots. I know about the height restrictions. I’m mostly concerned here with operation under heavy loads like gaming.

Yes, working fine. Linux on the 2280, windows on the 2230. I have not hit the machine with extended load yet. Setting up some games is on my to-do list.

I use Arch on my 2280, then I have a spare 2230 with Fedora installed incase I ever need to repair my Arch install.

I upgraded the ssd in my steam deck, so the old steam deck 512 drive is in my framework now.

1 Like

Yes, I have os on a mp600 mini and using 990 pro for timeshift, owncloud, and steam partitions. They sit at about 42° idle (22° ambient) and both went up to about 60° when doing a 250gb file copy to each drive simultaneously. The fan spooled up to about 50dB measured at about head position. Very happy with the setup so far.

I’m using both (a 2230 and a 2280) and I have no issues. Windows 10 and applications are on the 2230, and my games, other files, etc. are on the 2280. Everything works fine even under load.

I plan on robbing my Sabrent Rocket 2230 1TB out of my Legion Go and a WD SN850x 2TB as soon as i get home to my Framework already waiting for me.

FW16 BIOS 3.0.3 fixes some bugs with the NVME slots, so if it does not work, try updating the BIOS and try again.
My FW16 arrived with BIOS 3.0.2, but I have upgraded to BIOS 3.0.3

I have the same setup as Keith_Andreano. Windows is on a Sabrent Rocket 2230 1tb, and Steam, Blizzard, Epic etc, games and other files on a Samsung 980 pro 2tb 2280. Windows sees and uses both simultaneously just fine. As James3 said, I did need the 3.0.3 Bios, as coming out of sleep, the 2280 would sometimes disappear until a reboot. The drives do not overheat (watched HWMonitor a lot troubleshooting something else), and I’ve never experienced slowdowns or anything of that nature due to the stacked drives.

I have a 4TB main 2280 (with Windows and a bunch of stuff like that) and a 2TB 2230 with my Steam directories. It seems fine. I ordered a WD Black SN850X from a third party but got the SN740 through Framework since I didn’t want to have to mess around with figuring out what height would work or not work and the third-party vs Framework difference was negligible.

They work fine. The Cyberpunk 2077 benchmark thing runs fine and overall I have no complaints, although I haven’t done anything too ridiculous yet. I’ve only had it a week. I don’t foresee any issues though.

I’m from Vault 19., I mean Batch 19 (too much Fallout in my recent days). I’ve been hands on with my FW16 for three weeks now. I’m really enjoying my unit so far.

I purchased my NVMe drives separately. I ended up picking out the following:

WD Black SN770M 2TB | 2230 @38C (after 1hr of lite use)
Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB | 2280 @44C (after 1hr of lite use)

They are both single-sided (and I’m sure you already know but there is ‘NO’ room for a heatsink unless it is very thin, and that may only apply to the top side of the 2280 stick). I had considered running WD Black in 2230 and 2280 or replacing the WD Black 2230 with the Corsair MP600 Core 2230 or possibly even a Sabrent Rocket 2230. In the end based on the info I could find concerning single-sided, lower power use, and lower heat generation, the WD Black & Solidigm P44 Pro are my starting choice.

Solidigm’s Windows monitoring app is the Solidigm Synergy Toolkit. The Solidigm Synergy tool shows good detail for the WD Black considering different heritage. The Synergy Toolkit shows at least the following info for both drives: Temp, %Life, Make, Model, Serial #, Firmware version, and NVMe controller info including driver versions, and partition data.

My FW16 has the AMD Radeon RX 7700S graphics module. So I’m not sure if will play a little into higher NVMe temps vs the standard fan blank/dual NVMe holder (which I will be picking up to reduce weight, size, and battery life when traveling). I have not loaded any hardware specific utilities like HWINFO and the like to get a real good idea on overall performance and heat management yet. I’m sure I’ll get around to it eventually.

I’m dual booting Zorin OS Core Linux from the WD Black 2TB 2230 and Windows 11 Pro Workstation from the Solidigm 2TB 2280. It works very well and everything appears to work on Zorin OOB so far. Mousepad, LED Matrix panels, finger print scanner, audio, camera.

When it comes down to it, I guess the best thing to say about NVMe drives for the Frame.Work16 are to get the largest capacity, single-sided Gen4 NVMe drives that perform well as close to max Gen4 speeds while being energy efficient (which should help cut some heat). Since the drives are about in the middle of the total footprint of the laptop and the cooling fans are at the back mostly taking care of the processor and discrete graphics (if you purchased that add-on) then make sure you have checked performance/heat/cost of your combination if you want to fill both the 2230 and 2280 slots.

I’m enjoying mine. I hope you are enjoying yours. Good luck and have fun!

Thanx,
Wio
Texas

I am using a 2280 as my primary OS drive and my 2230 is just for media storage for movies, shows, etc and it is working fine. I put an additional thermal pad between the two of them since the 2230 gets a full sized thermal pad to the bottom chassis and the 2280 just comes with that one strip connecting it to the top plate.

I have a Samsung 990 Pro and a WD SN770. I have not noticed any heat issues when gaming, or video rendering, or with long data transfers.

I just got everything for my FW16 DIY today, I installed a 2230 2tb and a 2280 2tb. The 2280 will be Linux Mint OS and home folders and the 2230 will be data for backups and such.

Updating the bios now, can’t wait to install Mint and give it a shot.

1 Like

Well now there it is. Sabrent Rocket 2230 1TB as my main OS Drive and the WD SN850x 2 TB as the Datagrave. I will half the Main OS Drive to get Fedora on the Main Drive.
Until now no problem, great Temps (my 2230 ran at 80C in my Legion GO and now 50C at max in the FW Sandwich.

yes win 11pro on 2tb 2230 770M and data/vms on 2tb 2280 WD SN 810

the 810 is repurposed the 770m was bought for the computer. ssds average~ 810-41c 770m-43c over the last 5 days per my monitoring sw.

1 Like

I have it the other way around.

And an Storage Expansion Card

1 Like

Just a quick update. I’m using a 4TB Crucial 2280 and a 1TB WD 2230 without any issues so far. I have Win11 Pro on the Crucial, and Ubuntu 22.04 on the WD. I haven’t tried any really demanding games yet, but I’m not expecting any issues.

FrameworkSSDs

I run my ssds (SN770M and SN850X, purchased separately locally but using the default parts Framework tested) in my usual laptop config:

• mdadm raid 1.0 (metadata at end) for /boot/efi
  • mdadm raid 1.2 for /boot
  • 500G for / ontop of luks with btrfs raid1 on both disks, for data that i want available on the road even if one disk fails
  • 500G + 1500G remaining space for an additional LUKS backed btrfs volume in “single” mode for games and data that can be lost

This has been in use since a few months now (and was, for years, in my previous machine) and it performs at ~6.6GiB reading and ~3+ for writing, all on compress=zstd:1.

(Note: this is the default fedora layout if you manually format the partitions in raid in their blivet installer, allows for one disk to fail and still being able to boot with all data intact on the go!).

Zero issues while absolutely hammering this setup with steam downloads, games, work, containers, development and whatever else so far.

I installed a 2230 SSD in my Batch 4 before booting it for the first time (in hindsight a mistake). Both drives working well under load, but I have had trouble with my fans being supr loud under no cpu/gpu load in particular. I assume these are unrelated but i was wondering if anyone else had noticed a correlation?

Were you able to ascertain if the drives are reasonably matched/symmetrical in performance?

My big worry about the 2230 is the fewer # of chips/banks used wpuld mean less parallelism & therefore slower performance.

However just ‘different’ lerformance matters, too, as ypu just get the lowest common denominator, worst of both.