Is it worth choosing a 12th gen cpu over a 11th gen?

The more important decision, which operating system do you want to use?

If you’re ok using Windows 11 and having everything being cutting edge tech. Then 12th gen is grave you want.

If you want some known, stable, and works on anything properly, get 11th gen.

It’s worth getting the new cover, I’ve broken my screen twice so far, and it’s never been dropped or hit hard

2 Likes

Hey, Josh, that is really nice information. I am so curious now… :nerd_face: :face_with_monocle:

Please share with us (when you can) more about the whole ordeal:

• what situation you think made the screen brake each time;
  • how was the process of ordering new replacement parts;
  • was it under warranty;
  • how easy you found it (yourself) to replace the screen;

I think it was just something maybe a bit more blunt, or heavy in my bag, or setting down on my laptop (like a book maybe I dropped on it or something). I’m not 100% sure what did it, only that I didn’t expect it to be broken because I didn’t do anything to it that I feel would have been extreme.

Ordering was super easy,

Was surely not under warrenty because it wasnt a defect necisarily.

It was very very easy to replace the screen, 4 screws and a cable. Took longer to look at the instructions to replace it than it did to replace it. The 2nd time took about 3 minutes to replace.

:smile: That is pretty funny! Thank you for your testimony. It really helps to make it more concrete the relatively good experience most customers are having with Framework. I think it adds value to the laptop and make people like me less inclined to think it is an “expensive machine”.

I have here a pretty good Dell Laptop with the screen badly cracked (but still working); I slipped in a rainy day and fell quite hard over my backpack with my whole weight (100Kg/220lb). Took me a really long time (and trouble) to track down a replacement screen, and when I found it the cost was astonishingly prohibitive, so I kept using it (for a time) with the screen cracked, but mostly connected to external monitors. From that point on, I’ve been pretty adamant on using an EVA-formed case protector every time my laptop enters my backpack.

Just for reference, this is the one I’ve got (Thule): https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1626491-REG/thule_3203974_gauntlet_sleeve_for_15.html

It is not exactly cheap, but I think it is a well worth investment. 3 years using it, couldn’t possibly be more satisfied, I recommend it to everyone. Very sturdy, durable, incredible zipper.

1 Like

1280p is an exceedingly poor value, and will likely be throttled by heat/TDP, I imagine.
I chose 1260p for the extra cache and EUs, but at 300 extra it’s arguably a very wasteful choice.

12th gen is like 40% faster and should be more power efficient, it’d be foolish to go with 11th gen unless you already own one.

1 Like

Initially, I thought that I did not need to upgrade to 12th gen–the 11th gen did everything that I wanted.
Then I started playing some games again, and the thermal throttling was unbearable.
To this community, I’m sure the pain is imaginable when you see the Iris Xe perfectly capable of playing a game at full resolution, then taking a nosedive moments later.
The Iris Xe didn’t see any architectural improvements this iteration, but maybe the node shrink will help.
Short of attaching a blower fan to a duct under the laptop, or buying an eGPU, there are few solutions

That’s probably going to be a driver issue. The Iris XE driver doesn’t seem to have a good reputation.

Some interesting comparison between 11th gen and 12th gen (power consumption, cooling and fan noise):

Josh seems to be a Framework customer (background has, what seems to be, a Framework laptop).

There is a lot of room for improvement apparentely kernel wise. Linux kernel 5.19 seems to lower a lot power drawn in many scenarios including cinebench stuf( it s20% i think)