To upgrade or not to upgrade?

I have a Batch 1 i7-1165G7. I am seriously considering upgrading to the equivelant 12th gen but I’m not sure about the difference between the i7-1260P and the i7-1280P. Is it like the equivalent difference between the i7-1165G7 and the i7-1185G7?

Is it worth upgrading?

1 Like

The difference is 2 extra performance cores. IMO that difference is much bigger than the difference from i5-1240p to i7-1260p (which is GPU, cache, and 4.7 vs 4.4 max boost clocks), but it depends on why you’re upgrading.

What do you do with the laptop today where you’re CPU limited?

1 Like

I’m going through reviews and benchmarks myself!

I think the difference from the i7-1260P to the i7-1280P is more substantial than the difference between the i7-1165G7 and the i7-1185G7.

• 2 extra performance cores
  • 4 extra threads

Sort of big:

• +6 MB L3 cache

Not quite so big:

• 100 MHz higher max turbo P-cores
  • 200 MHz higher max turbo E-cores
  • 50 MHz higher GPU

Difference between the Core i7-1165G7 and the Core i7-1185G7:

• 200 MHz higher base frequency
  • 100 MHz higher max turbo
  • 50 MHz higher GPU
  • vPro

Comparison between all the options here:

So the cost difference is better spent on the 12th gen than the 11th gen.

4 Likes

I’ve just read Asus ZenBook 14 OLED review - UX3402ZA / Q409ZA model and setting the 1260P into equivalent power mode seems to yield identical single core performance as with 11Gen, with a massive boost to multi-core of course.

Buying 1240P seems to be a downgrade in single-core, unfortunately.

Where are you seeing that? The link you sent …doesn’t exactly make it easy to compare results to other processors (other than with games which are clearly comparing GPUs).

It actually is surprisingly difficult to find good benchmark data yet. Here’s one of the few sites I found (in Japanese):

Some cinebench results (i5-1240p single core similar to but faster than i7-1165G7 single core and much faster than i5-1135G7, multi-core massively faster):

Raw development time in lightroom classic (i5-1240p about on part with i7-1185G7, much faster than i7-1165G7):

That’s probably multi-core I’m guessing, but a big win nonetheless.

Single-core geekbench doesn’t have the old i5, but the old i7 sits between i5-1240p and i7-1260p/1280p:

1 Like

Yes, the last SS illustrates the situation.

I was previously looking at numbers on notebookcheck which seem to indicate a loss of 20%

https://www.notebookcheck.net/i7-1165G7-vs-i5-1240P_12118_14068.247596.0.html

although it’s hard to make a good comparison as the power dictates everything and this is not always elucidated

Well you are comparing a downclocked Core i5 against a higher clocked Core i7 so that’s to be expected.

The surprising thing is that the 12th gen Core i5 really beats the pants off the 11th gen Core i7 multicore. Perhaps not surprising, it has 8 more cores - but that’s the whole point of 12th gen.

I still don’t really see it. In Cinebench single core the new i5 sits between the mid and high old i7s. In geekbench it’s 7% slower than the i7-1165. So, between these two, probably very similar single-thread performance?

Interestingly, the notebookcheck link was very different numbers from the link I post above and seems heavily impacted by potential throttling on their system? I don’t know why else there’s such an insane variation here. Take the following Cinebench single-core numbers. It’s labelled as 21% slower based on the median, but the variation in their chart is insane. If the max runs are taken it’s faster.

Overall I just struggle to make much sense of notebookcheck’s numbers.

Anyway, go with whichever makes sense to you! The older processor is cheaper for sure and at least with multi-core the new one is drastically faster for sure. On single-thread it’s probably similar, depending on the use-case. I just have a hard time seeing how the old i7 (at higher cost) is better than the new i5.

1 Like