Is it worth choosing a 12th gen cpu over a 11th gen?

I was wondering if it is worth the cost choosing Intel i7-1260P (Up to 4.7 GHz, 4+8 cores) over a Intel i7-1165G7 (12M Cache, up to 4.70 GHz)?
Will there much be of a difference?

Yes, that performance difference is large. But, it all depends on your use-case. To be clear, the i5-1240p is faster than the i7-1165g7. i7-1260p is a bit of a tough sell IMO - you get a faster GPU, a little faster max turbo frequency, and 50% more cache, but the i7-1280p really pushes things by giving you an extra 2 performance cores and more cache again.

4 Likes

Well put. I’m beginning to lean towards the Core i5-1240P.

It’s kinda hard to compare due to the architectures being so different and that there are not really a lot benchmarks for these specific chips.

If i were to choose I’d pick 12th-gen. It’ll either be equal or better performance in most ways and they will be supported for longer.

Batch 1 1185 Bought and paid for, fast enough for me at this time.
enjoy updating, those of you that do so.
I have to pay to make my house more water resistant, so no new toys for me.

3 Likes

Do you think it is worth the wait for the 12th gen CPU if my computer (Dell, only 8 gb RAM) is currently limping along?

I am not terribly tech-savvy so I don’t really know the difference between the 11th and 12th gen (aside from that one is newer), but I need to start analyzing whole-genome files which will take quite a bit of computing power. People have obviously been doing this before the 12th gen came along, so I am leaning towards buying now to get my hands on a working computer faster.

If you know for a fact that your work load is very heavy, I would advise against using a thin and light laptop to do it. Instead, getting a desktop will be the best option, and if you need your machine to be mobile, a workstation type of laptop would be the better comprise.

2 Likes

Get a desktop. I found out the hard way that thin-and-light laptops often just don’t cut it for heavy workloads, and workstation-type laptops are often thick, heavy, cumbersome, and often come with other sacrifices (like battery life).

You’re much better off investing in a good/great desktop (which you can upgrade piecemeal as needed, of course) and buying a thin-and-light laptop as a machine for light workloads and as a portal for connecting back to your desktop.

This is what I do at this point, and it’s wonderful. I built a custom desktop (AMD Ryzen 5900X) and bought my Framework as a portable portal to my desktop. I setup Dynamic DNS (DDNS) through No-IP and setup a forwarded port on my router to be able to access my desktop from anywhere. It’s really the best of both worlds: I get a thin-and-light portal for when I need to be mobile and a powerful desktop for doing what needs to be done.

Also, I’d say prioritize getting the desktop first if you have to choose (due to budget constraints). Especially since you already have a laptop that works (even if it’s slow or whatever).

4 Likes

I asked the same question, as a Linux user, and then the first thing that came to mind is “How does the system know to use the efficiency cores vs. the performance cores?” and found that Linux 5.18 (end of May?) needs to ship in order to support Intel’s Thread Director which manages the tasks on which cores etc.

So, it seems like it will be pretty amazing, and if there is one thing that is hard to swap out on a laptop these days, it is CPU. Zoom’s fancy background swapping uses like 2 cores alone I think. So as more and more video enabled applications come alive, I think those cores are going to shine more and more in the future.

3 Likes

Will there be an option to trade in existing 11th gen boards for discounts on 12th gen?

2 Likes

@ Elijah_Lynn That is very good to know.
(I was trying 5.17 on an old macbook pro, but had problems with broadcom module then. 5.16 was working wel.)
@ lessthanjoey I was comparing both I7’s.
I will eventually go for a 12th gen then. It cost a lot so I have to save some more money.

I can’t see this being likely. Logistics is already difficult and this would be even more difficultererer!

eBay or FB marketplace is probably your best bet. Personally, if I do decide to upgrade I’m going to buy an extra battery and turn my old board into a little home server with effectively its own UPS.

3 Likes

There are already improvements in 5.16 and 5.17. It’s good to know things will be fully baked once 5.18 gets out!

Does this mean the 12th gen mainboard was tested against Linux kernel 5.18 RCs?

I’m certainly going to be upgrading when I can. I could use the increase performance, but I also want to continue supporting Framework where I can.

That said, I 100% could just keep using my Framework as is without any problems. I don’t NEED this upgrade at all.

If I didn’t have the cash I wouldn’t even be sad. I am very happy with my Batch 1 here.

1 Like

Ebay. And if you are doing that, please link in the forums so people can get at it.

I have the 11th Gen Framework and a 12th Gen Desktop. So far this E core thing is working out gangbusters.

EDIT: And Yes, this August I’m upgrading to the 12th gen motherboard.

multi-core, 12Gen all the way, in single-core 1240p seems to be a downgrade from 1165G7 sad noises

1 Like

Link?

Compare apples to apples, how do the Core i5s compare? Core i5-1135G7 vs Core i5-1240P.

Then Core i7-1165G7 to Core i7-1260P.

Then Core i7-1185G7 to Core i7-1280P.

Obviously a Core i5 will not equal a Core i7, but since these are improved Tiger Lake CPUs with essentially an 8-core Atom CPU bolted on, all these new options will always beat the old options in multicore performance, even the Core i5-1240P will beat the top-end Core i7-1185G7 multicore. Yes, single core, you have to compare the equivalents.

1 Like

I am comparing upgrade options I deem interesting, not equivalents. I fear that the 1260P will be hard on the battery.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/i7-1165G7-vs-i5-1240P_12118_14068.247596.0.html

Yes, if you go from the midrange option down to the entry-level you will lose single core performance, but you’ll gain pretty significantly multicore. I’m considering the same move myself.