Is this a hobby?

Some of the modules I have going just for “kicks”.
Full size serial.
GPS.
WiFi with external antenna.
Mag power.
Dongle hider.

The dongle hider needed a slight redesign but works great.

37 Likes

They’re all so well done! Kudos!

1 Like

@Shiroudan

Thanks. I’ll have them printed in better materials when a couple of kinks are sorted out.
I’ve been at it for months and am a bit fed up with them now, so I’ll probably leave them for a while.

2 Likes

I love how polished they are, genuinely passable as first party expansion cards. :open_mouth:

1 Like

@Cheese

Well, if the print quality wasn’t so dire. Only prototypes though.

2 Likes

I kinda like the aesthetic though, looks really cool.

1 Like

@Cheese

Thanks. Yes, I wouldn’t mind at all if they had a uniform colour. That costs extra and I wanted to make sure all the dimensions were correct. Which, they aren’t. I have updated ones coming tomorrow. But, I know I made a slight mistake on the wifi module, very slight, a 0.1 mm mistake at the front. A sharp blade will sort that. The GPS card works well and needs to protrude because of the antenna. I only utilise existing cards and make them fit. It uses an old nd100s which is not available any more. The replacement is smaller so may not protrude as much , but, it depends on the location of the antenna.

2 Likes

Do you have schematics public for them?

2 Likes

It’s best to create your own based on the adaptors you have available. The dongle hider and mag charge are posted somewhere but hider needs altering as it’s slightly shallow. I may upload the amended stl. I just used adaptors I had lying around. As I stated, the gps adaptor isn’t available anymore. I may get the new version and see if I can do something with it. Maybe.

GPS

3 Likes

You should just throw them all up in a repository somewhere if you are willing and put the link here.
You never know who will have the same adapters laying around and be looking for a solution. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I just bought a new RTX 3060 graphics card, on installing, I found out that, for some ridiculous reason, Nvidia refuses to release drivers for Win 8, so I formatted and installed Win 10. I didn’t save the files because they are stored on my online print account. I just went to retrieve them, but it looks as though you can’t, only have new prints done. I can get screenshots of previews of the structures, such as the ones above. Unfortunately, that’s it. I do still have the dongle hider, as I did that on a laptop watching TV.

4 Likes

The last cards I’m likely to produce. I was thinking of a mobile data card based on a board I found, but probably won’t get around to it, I don’t know. Anyway, I’ve been waiting to get these finished. A new case for the ethernet adapter, which is much tighter in the slot, and an SD card reader, full size.

8 Likes

Love the new case for the ethernet expansion! :orange_heart: I thought it would look weird non-transparent but that thing looks amazing~

Props on the work that goes into these, really like the full size SD expansion slot! :blush: Strange that there’s no first party one

@Cheese

Yeah, thanks. It actually looks better than in the photos and it is slightly wider so doesn’t move around in the slot like the original. I had to design it from measurements taken from pictures I found on the site. The SD is pretty much the same as in a thread about the external SD reader, the trick is to place it upside down, then there’s room for a lid, although, you need to make the case a little deeper to accommodate the board.

4 Likes

Your ethernet card’s slotting geometry looks almost identical to the official version:

Well done!

1 Like

Hey, a bit off-topic, but do you know of a list of 3rd party / community created list of expansion cards including links to the relevant files for recreating them?

this is really cool! I am interested in doing a project like this and I want to ask you how did you get started? what are the constraints/requirements that you were working with and how did you find the dimensions/requirements for the laptop itself?