Is your 12th Gen Laptop Disconnecting or Freezing while connecting to eGPU? Then I might have a solution for you

I was getting tired of dealing with freezing with my laptop. I have a WD SN 750 1 TB drive, 12th gen i7, and 32gb of ram (Framework-approved ram). I am running the new BIOS beta software and I managed to get it to install. For my EGPU, I am using an Aorus Gaming Box with a 3080ti. While gaming, my laptop would freeze and my eGPU would disconnect both before and after the BIOS update. While gaming, my CPU temps hovered between 84-90 degrees celsius. After prolonged periods, my laptop would then freeze and disconnect. The solution is a cooling stand. I bought one on amazon and it has reduced my temps by 20 degrees, where I now hover around 60-74 degrees celsius. My laptop no longer freezes or disconnects after long gaming periods. Definitely recommend getting one.

1 Like

Before the cooler, were you gaming on a sofa or bed ?

What kind of game were you playing ?

Does your fan spin up to the max speed while gaming ?

I am skeptic that just a cooling stand can improve temps by 20 degrees.

Me too, thats a bit too much.

1 Like

Gaming on a desk. Was gaming on an aluminum laptop stand, but now gaming on the laptop cooler. It’s meant for up to a 17in with like 5 fans. It really does chill the laptop pretty well. I am able to maintain that higher clock speed on my CPU. 13in chasis and small fan is really tough on a 45w cpu with large turbo boosts. Will try to post some picks of the cooling tomorrow after school. 20 degrees does seem high. Maybe 10?

1 Like

Cooling absolutely helps, I’ve noticed better performance with my 11th gen i5 on its custom-printed laptop stand vs when it’s flat on a desk.

I’d also recommend disabling Link State Power Management in your windows power plan (if you are on windows), that fixed random crashes for me. It’s hidden by default but there are many tutorials available to unhide all power plan settings.

1 Like

Temps - Elevated No Fan
Temps - Elevated Fab On

1 Like

In testing, I kept the laptop on the elevated cooler and kept the fans off. I booted up overwatch and went to practice range. Shot targets for about 30-35 mins, and temps reached a scorching 90 degrees and core clock speeds were at 3.4 GHz,. Turned on the fans, saw temps hovering around 80 degrees, and core clock speeds increased to above 3.4 GHz. This is after another 30 mins of shooting targets. A cooling pad works wonders.

1 Like