Join us for the Framework Next Level Event on March 23rd

Check this link for when the battery bank is mentioned in the keynote:

I do not have a background in electrical engineering. But my best guess is that it is going to require a microcontroller to regulate the delivered power. Also, the battery needs to talk with the device desiring to be charged.

My guess is it will be available eventually on the marketplace.

1 Like

Correct.

TheTwistgibber on Reddit:

This is because they are only being built at the factory for certain variants. If you choose to remove the other battery and purchase a 61W for installation, that is your prerogative, but we will not have a preconfigured R5 variant [with the bigger battery] from the factory.

1 Like

I just put the link to the recording of the video at the start 26:51 for people to watch it easily.

2 Likes

Really? I actually liked the glossy display. It made colors look prettier.

2 Likes

Yep. Check out the other specs below for the new models:

That is correct, everyone. The AMD variants are DDR5 and the Intel ones are still DDR4.

2 Likes

Then you will be happy about this.

We are switching over to the new matte display and they are pre-installed at the factory. We will still have some original display kits available should someone want to purchase them as a Marketplace item.

1 Like

@Jieren_Zheng I preferred glossy as well actually although since I added a Privacy Screen Protector, I’ve ended up with a matte display anyways…

2 Likes

Finally a matte display, buying one as soon as it is available. Guess in two years I will have to decide whether I want to stick with intel or move to amd…choices choices…

Maybe I’ll do the same. Question is: What to do with the old one though?

I was thinking maybe we can have a “Monitor-Kit” to reuse old panels? With VESA-Mount possibilities for the new mainboard case? @TheTwistgibber @nrp pretty please?

Me too! I already bought an eGPU, so maybe my need for AMD is not so high. But I know what I will do with the old mainboard: It’s totally gonna be a MESA-mounted mini-PC for my TV.

1 Like

There will be people wanting a glossy screen, so it will have value.

3 Likes

@anachron I might use the old display as an external or maybe build it into a housing for my future Framework Mini Server running off my current board when I upgrade.

I will cross the AMD vs Intel divide when I get there. 14th Gen is dropping down to 4nm if I remember correctly and that should bring huge improvements. Also the limitations on the AMD board connections is mostly what I expected. I like having 4 usb-c connections, with 2 thunderbolt controllers. See how it plays out. Finally in a spot where I don’t care because I am not stuck with the choice for 5 years at a go.

1 Like

@nrp or anyone, could you tell me the details (links) of the laptop on the right side of the slide below? You said, “Last week, the company called Arbitrary (?) Research released b… laptop”. I am curious to know it as one of the great cases of the ecosystem.

1 Like

@junaruga braille laptop is what he said I believe. It looks similar to this one. I could be mistaken.

1 Like

Thanks for investigating it! However, I am not sure that the linked Braille Laptop is what it is mentioned in the live-streaming event, because the article’s date is April 24, 2019. But nrp said “last week”.

1 Like

@junaruga Yes, you are probably right. It must be a different laptop but I am certain he said braille laptop.

I heard braille laptop too

1 Like

Okay. Now I searched “Braile Laptop” on the internet. Perhaps, the laptop is below. The release date is March 14, 2023. However, I couldn’t find the “Framework mainboard” in the article. I think they could be transparent about it.

Optima Braile Laptop Computer - AccessMind and Orbit Research

1 Like

“Hot swappable ports” seems like a dead giveaway that it’s using a Framework mainboard.

1 Like

Hi, people at Framework,

Seeing the video of this offline event for the press only (?), it looks really fun! Could you upload a video to introduce the offline event to your Youtube channel with a Creative Commons license?