Keyboard Deflection Kit

My order has been shipped out at least.

Unfortunately I have absolutely no clue what USPS is doing. My package arrived at one of their distribution centers which is only a few hours away from my location. Somehow, they decided to ship it to an even further location and my package is delayed. Been waiting two weeks for this package and it’s just been hopping around like USPS is playing a hot potato.

I’ve just got an e-mail from support stating it will be shipped early to mid October.

[edit]
They were right. The kit has arrived Friday, October 11th. I haven’t gotten to installing it yet, though :frowning:
[/edit]

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve got the same.

1 Like

likewise, “…expect to ship one to you in early to mid-October”

and saying expect two emails, one when order is created, second when order has shipped

1 Like

I got mine a week ago. I’m actually surprised that it helped the keyboard feel a bit more solid.

1 Like

Applied the deflection kit. It is still by no means perfect - the “build quality feel” is still sadly not there, with some keys still sounding “hollow” to the touch - but it is significantly, night-and-day better. The keyboard is no longer as mushy, it feels a lot more similar to a standard laptop keyboard, and the switch has a nice and hard bottom-out in most places.

It’s a pretty welcome upgrade. It still very much feels like a first-generation design, mind you, and I still think the current iteration of the mid-plate design is a bit flimsy, but this improves the situation nicely. The mid plate no longer feels as bendy to the touch when applied,which is also very good. These five little pads really do make a difference. Having tried both, I would say that, yes, the typing experience is now much closer to the Framework 13, though not exactly the same.

Looking at the keyboard from its edge with the touchpad module removed, it still does not appear to sit completely straight. But it’s a noticeable improvement from the noticeable concaveness it had before the kit. If I nitpick, I can tell the left area seems to be slightly raised compared to the right one, but nothing that hinders usability too much.

I’ve received mine on October 11th as well, and installed it a day later. The difference it made isn’t too big I think, the tolerances of my FW16 seem to be on the better side of the spectrum in general.

I’ve installed mine just now. Duration: 15 minutes, much of the time needed to read the ultra-low contrast numbers for the 16 fasteners of the midplate. I do feel a difference, deflection when typing is reduced.