Laptop shuts down during sleep

See my post and then the topic for regedit

@amoun
Thanks for your reply.

@lessthanjoey

No, it does not loose power for me. Hardly 5% battery is drained. What happens is sometime sleep works fine, sometimes it abnormally shutsdown and when I power on the laptop again, all my work is gone. This is the main issue.

@Shubham_Jhawar that’s what I mean. If you have no expansion cards installed and are on AC power does it ever completely die / lose all open apps, etc?

@lessthanjoey

Yes, all the open apps are closed when I again start the laptop. And I have checked in the sleepstudy, it mentions “Abnormal Shutdown”

@Shubham_Jhawar I have found a workaround, which is I think the one most people are using:
Either unplug the laptop before putting it to sleep, or always have the laptop plugged in when you put it to sleep.
To avoid being wasteful, I do wake up the laptop after it’s done charging to be able to unplug it and then put it back to sleep

1 Like

Has anyone tried the new BIOS beta in an attempt to fix the issue?

I’m now on 3.06 but can’t (yet) say whether or not it has helped, because the shutdown has only happened a couple of times since applying other people’s helpful workarounds.

12th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.06 Beta

Hi everyone,

We’d like to understand the different configurations being utilized that are experiencing shutdowns while in Windows 11 Sleep.

In this thread, can you please provide the following in this format:

• Generation of Framework Laptop: (11th or 12th Gen Intel Core)
  • SSD Installed:
  • BIOS version:
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both:
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other):
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any):
  • Expansion Cards used in ports:
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing):
  • Any additional information you can provide

As mentioned here, this has been reported to be happening on other non-Framework laptops running Windows 11 as well, but we need see if anything else might be causing issues.

Thank you in advance, and we’ll scape the responses when the team is back from break starting on January 3rd.

5 Likes

@Twistgibber Switched back to Windows 10 a week ago, but did have this issue on 11, will try my best to remember…

Generation of Framework Laptop: (11th or 12th Gen Intel Core): 11gen
SSD Installed: 1TB Samsung 980 NVME
BIOS version: 3.17
Happening on AC power, battery, or both: Both
Power adapter used (Framework or other): 3rd party( Will get brand later)
External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any):None
Expansion Cards used in ports: 2x USB-C 2x USB-A
Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): Feb 23rd
Any additional information you can provide

1 Like

@TheTwistgibber

• Generation of Framework Laptop: 12th Gen Intel Core
  • SSD Installed: 1TB WD_BLACK SN770 NVMe SSD
  • BIOS version: 3.05
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: both
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): Framework
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): none
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: USB-C x2, USB-A x1, DP x1
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): Oct 2022
  • Any additional information you can provide: Windows 11. My problem is not battery drain. When it happens, it’s an unexpected shutdown that occurs as I open the laptop lid per the logs, and has happened while plugged in (so obviously not battery drain). This hasn’t happened in about a month since I’ve stopped using the DP/HDMI expansion cards. With only USB cards, I have no problems. If I use the DP or HDMI expansion card, the unexpected shutdown happens within 24-48 hours.

@Twistgibber I’ve experienced this issue. Not really a big deal to me just kind of a minor annoyance.

Generation of Framework Laptop:12th
SSD Installed: Western Digital PC SN730 NVMe™ SSD
BIOS version: 3.04
Happening on AC power, battery, or both: Both
Power adapter used (Framework or other): Framework
External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any):None
Expansion Cards used in ports: 2x USB-C 1x USB-A 1x 1tb expansion
Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): September 20th

• Generation of Framework Laptop: (11th or 12th Gen Intel Core): 12th gen
  • SSD Installed: WD SN730
  • BIOS version: as delivered, I think 3.05
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: certainly on battery, also on AC power I think
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): Framework
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): no
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: 2x USB A, 1x USB C, 1x 1TB SSD
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): September 5th
  • Generation of Framework Laptop: (11th or 12th Gen Intel Core): DIY 12th edition 1240p.
  • SSD Installed: SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB
  • BIOS version: INSYDE Corp. 03.05, 8/23/2022
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: Saw shutdowns when connected on AC power. Never tested on purely battery power.
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): Anker 737 120W 3-port charger with Anker 333 100W 6ft USB-CtoC cable.
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): None
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: 3xUSB-C, 1xUSB-A (lower right port, under the enter key)
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): Nov 4th (
  • Any additional information you can provide:
    Windows 11 Pro, Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621, up-to-date with Windows updates.
    RAM: 2x16GB Samsung M471A2K43DB1-CWE

Shutdown was never the result of battery drain, since I had always had the laptop plugged in when putting to sleep. Haven’t been testing it lately since I just switched to hibernating my laptop when the lid is closed, which I have had no issues with. Tried the testing earlier in the thread with removing a device that appeared to be causing issues when viewing Windows event logs, but that didn’t seem to affect my sleep crash issues.

Thanks all! We’ve begun scraping these responses and will be escalating to Engineering for review. We’ll keep you updated on our progress/findings.

6 Likes

@TheTwistgibber Thanks for the transparency, and will look forward to the results!

1 Like

Hardware

This is what I ordered on 20 Nov 2022, shipped on 21 Nov 2022:

i7-1260P

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-1260P
  • Keyboard: German

Expansion Cards

• 2 USB-C
  • 2 USB-A
  • 1 DisplayPort
  • 1 MicroSD
  • 1 HDMI

Accessories

• Power Adapter - EU

Already owned (new, unused):

• 2 x Crucial RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL22 (2933MHz / 2666MHz) CT16G4SFRA32A
  • WD_BLACK SN850X 2TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe SSD

What Windows 10 Says

Processor 12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-1260P 2.10 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.7 GB usable)
Device ID XXXxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxXXX
Product ID 00326-00894-94274-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎30/‎11/‎2022
OS build 19045.2364
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

The Abnormal Shutdowns

Those full shutdowns (terminating all running programs, powering down completely) are happening almost every time I leave the computer alone for more than an hour.

• For the time I made the following reports, the computer was constantly connected to the mains adapter (seems completely stable, the computer also when not in sleep mode).
  • Windows Power & sleep settings are:
    • Screen - When plugged in, turn off after: 10 minutes
    • Sleep - When plugged in, PC goes to sleep after: 10 minutes
  • I installed the Windows 11 Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (12th Gen Intel® Core™) mentioned in this post because it said it would work on Windows 10 and I could not find other drivers for e.g. the wifi card and the thunderbold hardware. I installed it like I described here.
  • Connected to the laptop are:
    • Via USB-C Card: Power adaper
    • Via USB-A Card: 5 port USB hub connecting a 7 port USB hub. There is not THAT much connected: Logitech Keyboard, Mouse, an USB drive, a LogiLink 4-Port RS-232 Adapter and a ST-Link V2 chip programmer / debugging probe.
    • Via HDMI Card: AOC 2.5K display Q27P1
    • 1x DisplayPort Card (no display connected, I tried to connect the AOC display whith an DP cable but after screen off, the computer would not recognize the display as connected :frowning: . I think the Shutdown problem was existing before I plugged in the DP Card and had a MicroSD Card connected.

So here are the 3 “Abnormal Shutdowns”, the Windows “System Power Report” collected over the last 2 days. One on Jan 5:

And the next two, this afternoon / night. For those last two I am sure, the Laptop Lid was open and I left the computer without switching anything off. The times of those shutdowns seems to be wrong because it is exactly the time I started using the computer for the “Active” time and I am pretty sure I found the computer already completely powered down at these times (17:19, 21:25). It looks like the computer did not manage to log the time when the “Abnormal Shutdown” happened and did this when I powered it up again.

The Details of the last “Abnormal Shutdown”:

And there are some diagnostics / settings noted some random “Screen Off” randomly in the middle of this “System Power Report”. I think those display and sleep timeouts are consistent with the 10 min timeout settings and with the logged times. The hibernation timeout of 0 seems to be the reason the computer never enters hibernation even though hibernation is enabled (I don’t know how to change this timeout).

1 Like

@Niun Respect, that’s a lot more information than I thought to include!

I am experiencing this issue as well.

sleep study show many unexpected shutdowns, and event viewer shows kernel-power errors at the same time. My system has been on AC power the entire time.

• Generation of Framework Laptop: 12th gen
  • SSD Installed: Samsung 980 Pro
  • BIOS version: As delivered, I think 3.05
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: Definitely with battery, not sure about AC
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): other (displays, apple charger, etc)
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): none
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: 2x usb c, 1x hdmi, 1x usb a
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): November
  • Any additional information you can provide: I’ve had this issue about 2-3 times a week

After my last post I removed the DP Expansion Card and had no “abnormal shutdown” until yesterday after I put the DP Card back in.

• So without DP Card (and with an open slot on right to the front): 5 days no problem,
  • with DP Card: 2 abnormal shutdowns in less than 24h.

But I see other posts here from people having shutdowns without using the DP Card. When the Card was not connected, there was no expansion card in the slot on the right to the front. Maybe there are some defective expansion cards in general or it is the slot that is having problems? Or the problem happens at an extremely random frequency.

2 Likes
  • Generation of Framework Laptop: 12th gen - i5 1240p
  • SSD Installed: Crucial P5 Plus 1TB
  • BIOS version: latest i think
  • Happening on AC power, battery, or both: On AC power
  • Power adapter used (Framework or other): Dell S2722QC USB C Power
  • External peripherals utilized/plugged in (if any): USB wireless receiver for keyboard through usb c port on monitor
  • Expansion Cards used in ports: 3 USB C 1 USB A
  • Date of delivery (only if comfortable sharing): 19/01/23
  • Any additional information you can provide :
    Windows 11
    Any time i leave the laptop docked in and leave for an extended period of time i.e. night time . Been abruptly shutdown nearly consistently now, i never expect the laptop to be in sleep mode after the night. But when the power is off, when the laptop is left alone for some time it simply hibernates and resumes where i left off. In all of this the battery is all good never dipping below 90% etc