Laptop won't power on unless i plug in AC power

30 minutes every five days is 0.5mAh and as the CMOS bat uses 0.015mAh max/30 min you are providing enough for 16hours

This would in theory extend the ML 1220 power source three times

i.e the ML 1220 only has to do 8 hours work a day

If can do a month in exteeme cases you could be OK for 3months

According to specs and Framework you can multiply the 2 /3 weeks by 3 so 6 to 9 weeks.

No. If it did that it would discharge before the main battery.

Not unknown. Calculated.
*The battery charges at 1mA/h when it is not highly charged 1.2mA/max

• 30 minutes at that rate is 0.5mA/h and the max drain is 0.03mA/h

Not an issue the variable rate is to charge the main battery, the CMOS battery has it’s own reduced supply and is not affected by the charge rate of the main battery…
Each battery has it’s own controls to draw what it wants, the adapter does not decide this.

Test methodology under peer review it seems.

2 Likes

Yes but any help appreciated :slight_smile:

Started having this about 2 weeks ago and still have it after updating to 3.09, really sucks since I don’t use my laptop that much this time of the year but I hope it won’t appear again when I start school again this August :sweat_smile:

Hi

I hope you are aware of the advice to charge once a week for maybe 6 hours as the RTC|CMOS battery has a designed life of around 23 days. There are reports of people getting a month but I wouldn’t rely on that.

It seems more secure to keep it well charged when you can.

Wow… 190 message long thread with not a single official response.

Thanks to everyone who cobbled up the broken and fairly useless responses from Framework Support. Really really really poor response on Framework. This will go down as the most amount of money I lost to YouTube… you-know-who not to thank!

My 11th Gen Core i7 laptop only seems to last about a day and half without being plugged in (for another 8 hours or more). Even though I can’t really find a pattern. Sometimes it will last longer.

Once it goes bust it refuses to boot up for quite a while. Obviously I have to connect it and let the RTC battery to charge up I suppose. But they fact is I don’t know if that’s what it is doing… because sometimes, holding the powerbutton down for 10 seconds will start it up. Other times no amount of holding down power button or futzing around with connecting USB C cables to left then right and left then unplugging and doing a rain dance will get it going.

So I’ve essentially dropped more than a grand for a glorified desktop with dodgy battery backup. If I wanted a desktop I would have bought an NUC (total of closer to 1900 but I guess I could reuse the memory, ssd and Windows license elsewhere).

Last resort will order a new RTC battery and see if it does any better.

At the same time my 7 year old MBP just boots up once a month, irrespective of whether it is plugged in or not!

Here is one official response that I know. There are multiple threads about this topic.

1 Like

@junaruga what’s the point? None of them have a solution or admittance of the fact that it is a major issue with no software fix possible. They are still shamelessly selling the 11th Gen “at a discount”!

As I recognized that you thought there is no “single official response”, I shared one official “response”. That’s the point.

I can understand your feeling. But when you are angry, you should recognize that nothing is changed. This issue is old. I have seen people’s reactions to this issue. And I assume that people thought about this issue and situation, and already made choices, continue to use or sell or throw away. When you sell Framework Laptop on eBay, you can still get some amount of the money back. If you sell your Framework Laptop showing this issue, you are ethical. It’s a fair trade.

1 Like

Some other reports on such short times were ultimately found to faulty button cells or defective contact clamps. The claim is that after 24 hours of being plugged it, the cell should be fully charged and maintain the CMOS for about a week when unplugged and off (I don’t know if in suspended state the main battery still provides power to the CMOS). A week is a paltry number and definitely less than I would have expected (most laptops start up without trouble after having been on the shelf for months), but workable when used as a “daily drive laptop”, where the main battery will mandate frequent plug-in anyway.

1 Like

@Nils I would be okay with that if it were predictable. It is not. I have not opened the laptop yet, I’ve ordered a new battery, let’s see if that helps with the predictability!

It happened today morning and the only thing different with today morning is I’ve worked on the laptop ‘off power’ for two evenings consecutively and it was ‘off’ power most of day yesterday. Battery was still more than 50% when I left it last night. Anyway, all my explainations are pointless. It’s a design defect and they really don’t want to acknowledge it because it will either be a mass recall or a class action if they do!

It’s not a ‘laptop’ problem but an Intel 11Gen issue which of course ‘most’ laptops don’t use.

They do acknowledge, maybe you just have read enough on the forum.

It’s not a ‘laptop’ problem but an Intel 11Gen issue which of course ‘most’ laptops don’t use.

Ahem… Most laptops’ use CR2032s that last years. Because of the Intel bug it would drain in 6 weeks. The rechargable battery was put in to avoid having to replace batteries (by ‘most other’ vendors too). Framework had a design issue because of which it drains faster than they anticipated. I’ll cut them slack for that, h/w design is incredibly complex and very hard to revert after you’ve done a production run. Admit it and move on. Geez!

Hiding behind a response deep in a 295 message thread, 7 months after original report, isn’t acknowledgement, it’s hoping that no one finds out. That’s precisely why I started a new thread!

1 Like

The only problem I’ve seen attributed to 11th Gen is that when CMOS/RTC loses power, the processor may end up in a bad state that requires a hard reset (which, at that point, is apparently requires removing the main battery as well – the CMOS battery was already depleted, so it already removed itself. That’s one part I don’t understand about the fix: didn’t the system not just spontaneously perform a hard reset to create the problem?)

I understood that the fact that CMOS/RTC draws so much power to be maintained and/or that the main battery cannot help ito keep it powered, s entirely down to Framework’s design.

The alleged silicon bug in Intel 11th Gen makes the problem much worse and some production errors in brackets/faulty button cells gave a lot more attention to the defect, but the fact that the system can fail to power on with a healthy, charged main battery after being off for just weeks is really surprising (in a bad way). That’s not normal for or expected of laptops.

Without the bug people would probably have complained less, because plugging in the laptop would hopefully immediately restore power to CMOS, so apart from some settings being wiped, the system would boot; and if a laptop has been on a shelf for a month or so, you would probably plug it in, just to be sure.

2 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: New 11th Gen Mainboard RTC battery

Could you elaborate on this? Is this something available through the marketplace?

You just have to request it through support.

2 Likes

Hello all,

Please do not force our hand in locking this thread. We’ve explained, in detail, what options are available for any customers that purchased Framework Laptop 13 (11th Gen Intel Core) or 11th Gen Intel Core mainboards and have an RTC Battery that has been deep-cycled to the point of no longer holding a charge.

• Contact Framework Support
  • Provide Order Number or email used on order
  • Provide image of mainboard with serial
  • Ask for either replacement RTC Battery or RTC Battery Replacement
  • If RTC Battery Replacement, you acknowledge that you have soldering experience to solder the single wire to the mainboard

If this thread goes off the rails or gets contentious, we will lock it down. This thread remains open for Community help/troubleshooting, but this is not a thread for debating the options available.

5 Likes

I’m having this problem with my Framework Laptop 13 (11th Gen Intel Core). I’ve been considering upgrading my laptop using Framework’s official upgrade kit.

My question is: Will upgrading using the upgrade kit solve this problem for me? Or will I still have to look into one of the options above for the RTC battery replacement?

Follow up question: Is there a specific upgrade path that would fix the problem? (For example upgrade to AMD as opposed to Intel 13th Gen)?

Welcome to the community!

If you upgrade the mainboard, it would solve the problem. An Intel 13th gen or AMD board wouldn’t have the RTC battery issue.

2 Likes