LTE Cat 4 Cell Modem Card

This is simply untrue. Our device bears the CE marking and also has the UKCA and CE marking affixed to the accompanying manual according to EU and British law. We are currently in the process of gaining certification for the USA markets, but we have not shipped any devices to that country yet.
We also have filed declaration of conformity documents, detailing which regulations the device is certified for in these markets.

Please do not make these claims without evidence. Our product is perfectly legal to sell in the markets we have chosen, we do understand the regulations within these markets.

Please do not insinuate that users may have their cards / laptops damaged through negligence on our part, this is simply untrue.

Humour is subjective :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Welcome JC,

You could indeed print the bottom shell without our logo if you so wished, it’s as simple as commenting one line in the openSCAD file for that part :slight_smile:

We of course do not recommend this. If it’s of any consolation our silkscreen logo will be hidden most of the time unless you go out of your way to remove the board from the shell :wink:

1 Like

Then where is your DoC (Declaration of Conformity) and Technical Construction File (TCF) which should be publically accessible? Also if a user brings their own antenna that compliance is broken. You can have a very high gain antenna (with low VSWR) and you will break allowed RF levels so this note in the manual is useless “If you chose to bring your own LTE antennas at checkout, please ensure you purchase LTE antennas with a VSWR < 2 for optimal performance.”

Using anarchocapitalistic dog-whistles hidden on the silk screen of your products isn’t subjective.

Your “logo” is taken directly from the Gadsden flag. You claim to have that trademarked in the UK, but I can’t believe that this would hold at all if you’re being challenged on it. And even if hidden, I’d really, really not want to carry the Gadsden flag with me.

4 Likes

The first third-party project I saw on this forum with a real finished product.

2 Likes

There are a few.
List of company or individually driven projects
Though it might be a simple product, the SNACK drawer has been available for sale for over 2 years. Probably the first 3rd-party community product for sale.

You also have the UART Expansion Card, RS-232 Expansion Card, other items like the Input Cover controller board. But you could argue that this LTE Modem Card is the first of its level. Something requested by many, useful to many, and more challenging than some others.

3 Likes

It brings me much joy that I get to hold that title with such a goofy product.

6 Likes

I was just looking at the Tall SNACK Drawer: The Original SNACK Drawer's Big Brother thread. Your example pictures have always been hilarious. I love them!

And also I know there was a “sip of water” somewhere. I had to find that too. Combine it with the pocket sand Drawer of sand, and I could build a tiny sand castle!

By the way, we still need that Heated Drawer. Please with enough power to make popcorn. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

The declaration of conformity for our product does not have to be publicly accessible as per the law, it is only made available on request to market surveillance authorities. This is our current understanding. Nor does a TCF have to be made publicly available, this again is only for market surveillance authorities on request.

We will not be held liable as a company if a user uses an antenna with illegal levels of gain, this claim is rather silly. To our knowledge, no other manufacturer is held to this standard, nor should they be.

We will investigate this further and add an additional clarification on allowed levels of gain per region, however this is a courtesy on our part and not legally required.

The intention of this clarification was to pass on advice from Quectel, the manufacturer of the modem, not to serve as a legal disclaimer.

1 Like

We are discussing different things here I believe. Our logo is not “hidden”, nor is it to serve as some kind of dog-whistle, this is a weird allegation to be honest. We’re quite up front about our logo, I find this to be a strange sticking point personally.

Indeed, it is inspired by that flag.

Within the United Kingdom, trademarks are filed with the intellectual property office, and are publicly available, much like patents and the like. Our trademark for our logo was filed many months ago, and was not disputed by any authority. You can access our filing publicly here.

1 Like

Indeed, we are far from the first.

3 Likes

So you didn’t choose this to appeal and signal to other ancaps that you’re ancaps? I mean not that you have to, with Monero being a payment method on your site.

That doesn’t mean that it’s legit though. A dispute can still come at any time :slight_smile:

Either way, I’ll stop arguing with you, as it doesn’t add much value to this thread.

3 Likes

Then wait for another producer or replace the shell yourself? It makes no sense to complain about a person having different political beliefs and including it in their product. It is not even that difficult to do.

2 Likes

Which is exactly why I’ve asked on this thread, whether anyone else was making one. Replacing the shell is not enough, it’s also on the silk screen of the PCB.

I’m not telling them to change their beliefs, I’m saying that I won’t buy from them and am interested whether anyone else was making these? And sure, people will complain about that, and that’s perfectly valid, the question is just where you draw the line.

No, but with the PCBs it’s a matter of cost scaling. If I get someone to manufacture a single one of these, that’s gonna be way more expensive per piece than if someone orders a dozen of them. I’m asking here because I know it’s not that difficult, if it was then this would be the wrong place.

1 Like

That is not how it sounded but whatever you say.

1 Like

Put me down as another person who would be interested in this hardware, but not in purchasing it as long as it carries the symbology of the Gadsden flag on shell or PCB.

To be clear, I do not argue the manufacturer’s right to mark it as they please.

If a variant becomes available without those marks, I will likely purchase one. Otherwise, I may wait for a 5G card, should that ever become a thing.

3 Likes

Cool to see this release as a product, but I will never buy one because the designers don’t seem to be able to recognize that their logo is of bad taste.

4 Likes

No political discussion here please.

Limit discussion to the technical aspects. If you have a problem with the designer, bring it up with them directly.

4 Likes

We have our first reviews coming in now for the openCom LTE. Things are very positive so far, and we’re pleased customers are happy with our product :slight_smile:
One is currently live, with more expected soon.

2 Likes

Do you have any Linux user testing so far?