Matte screen protector

I am now at my fourth trial of attaching such a protector, and in summary the whole experience is horrible. It’s impossible to get it done without bubbles, I did all the tricks from twenty videos, and it’s just really frustrating. Still better than the mirror that the framework is by default. But still so bad that I consider returning the laptop. This sucks big time.

1 Like

Surprisingly and magically the next day, the air bubble disappeared. I can not believe it. Great.

3 Likes

Sometimes dreams come true over night, don’t they? :smiley: happy for you

1 Like

My matte screen protector from Via also had one or two bubbles after installation, typically I only notice them when the screen is dark.
Their volume has reduced over time. The material must be a little porous.

Maybe elves came :slight_smile: Thanks. I am happy too.

1 Like

Has anybody tried a magnetic anti-glare screen protector? I wonder if the ones for 13in macs would work

Update: I just got a perfect Photodon MXT install done and I am in LOVE :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

This is sade that Framework has not improved the quality of an essential part like the screen on their 2nd gen.
I have this terrible reflective screen on my brand new FW laptop.

Could someone summarize what are the best options ?*
I see several screen "protector " brands, what is the most cost effective ? The most efficient to not see myself all day long ?
Does framework themself recommend a solution ?

A last question for my personal culture : Why would someone want a mirror screen ? I really don t understand x)

Strange I’ve never had a problem and hardly noticed. It maq be your use situation. Maybe I’m used to it ~ my desktop monitor is an LG TV with a smooth screen. ?

There is a very big difference in terms of visual quality between a reflective screen and a matte one. As long as you’re not in a bright place the reflection isn’t visible either.
Besides it’s always useful to have a mirror on hand :wink:

2 Likes

More vibrant colors, I actually prefer glossy screens over matte for that reason but since I also like my privacy, my screen will be matte anyways. c’est la vie :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I had a Photodon matte screen protector installed. It made the screen usable for me.
I shipped the laptop with a return label, the whole process took 4 days.

2 Likes

Just because you think that a matte screen is higher quality does not mean that Framework has to upgrade it. If you go back through this thread, you will see that they did consider it, but ended up deciding that a matte screen is not a priority at the time, and have not said that it has become a priority since.

For North America:
PhotoDon - Framework 13.5-inch Laptop Privacy and Screen Protectors

For EU:
ViaScreens (can ship to NA, but may take longer) - https://viascreens.com/screen-protectors/framework/

protectionfilms24 (can ship to NA, but may take longer) - https://www.protectionfilms24.com/c/ALL/framework-laptop/

BROTECT on Amazon - Amazon.de
or
Amazon.de

I’m in the US, so I can’t speak as well to the EU options, although I did order the ViaScreens back when it was the only option. Seems like others have had luck with the BROTECT screen protectors on the other sites. Photodon is the only US-based company as far as I know, and people are also happy with them.

As for cost effectiveness, that is up to you. There are many options, but depending on where you live, shipping could be more or less based on the one you choose. Many of the options also come with 2-packs, which are a great deal in case you think you might mess up the first installation, but are probably a waste of money if the first screen protector you install is perfect.

This is up to your thoughts of how much/little you want to see yourself, and how much screen sharpness you are willing to lose to achieve that. These are a bunch of posts in this thread with comparisons between different levels of matte protectors from a couple of the brands. PhotoDon will even send you a trial pack with samples of all of their protectors, along with a coupon that you can use to buy your final choice, that almost fully negates the cost of the trial pack.

Framework has not officially supported any of these brands, but Nirav posted a lot at the beginning of the thread with details on dimensions of both the full screen and the cut-out of the bezel to allow users here to buy any screen protector that fit, or to cut down a larger one to the right size.

Lucky for you, the recentish release of the Dough (previously Eve) Spectrum Gaming monitor in with a glossy finish actually caused some people to try to answer this question.
Dave2d - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mTV1TOblbA
LTT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuzwlZi7FP8

8 Likes

Thank @Azure It one of the most precise answer I ever had on the internet! Bravo! I understand the tradeoff now.

So what I would like to ask her for a future improved generation is a tradeoff more inline with Mac book pro as seen in this picture . Basically cut down by half the glare would ideal for me (and for mac apparentely). What I think is desirable is to be able to work in a standard office anvironement with little glare, currentely it is not the case in many setups. I believe Mac with its years of inovation has a better tradeoff.

Just ordered this one : 2x BROTECT Matte Film de protection d'écran mat pour Framework Laptop | protectionfilms24.fr

2 Likes

45minutes to install my Brotect matte screen !
First time I install a screen protector of this size. On smartphone you may have 2 or 6 bubbles and it will take you 10 minutes to remove them.
With a screen this size if you are not in a intel white room, you are goinf to have 6X the bubbles…
I almost gave up after 20min , thinking I am increasing the chance I will damage the screen with my credit card.

So the tip is if when you have a “bubble” this is a tiny dust, immediately,

• Roll back a little your screen protector until you reach the bubble
  • Use a special cleaning material “micro fiber” like on my picture to remove the little dust from the screen and from the plastic sheet protector.
  • Resume applying … untile the next bubble :wink:

So gooood to not have reflections like a mirror.

A good side effect to me is also it seems a little dimmer. In the morning I can have lower light which is better for my eyes.

Just adding my two cents here. I’m a big fan of matte screens, and even though I love the framework laptop, the glossy screen is definitely one of the most annoying parts for me. I’ll be picking up a matte screen protector (as matte as possible) maybe from Photodon. We’ll see, but I’m definitely ordering one of these matte screen protectors.

I’m adding my vote for either official matte screen panel replacements (I’m Gen 1 Batch 6), or official matte screens in the marketplace.

3 Likes

I went with the Framework 13.5-inch Laptop Privacy and Screen Protectors MTX 50% mat level screen protector. Second round installation went very well. Used the a steamy bathroom to minimize dust as well as a can of dust off spray.

So measure of a company is there response when thing don’t quite go right. The first protector I was sent had the mat side and sticky side mislabeled; after some confusion I realized why it wasn’t sticking to the screen. In the process of figuring out the up side was the sticky side and flipping everything over I managed to crease the plastic film and final instal was pretty shabby looking. Reaching out to PhotoDon and they quickly responded by sending a replacement protector. Excellent customer service and I would not hesitate to go with this US based company again.

Screen protector mat finish MTX is the perfect anti glare addition. The screen on my new Framework laptop is a reflective glass finish like most OEMs these days. Any bright background light always add an additional reflection; the MTX level mat protector effectively mitigates this. Excellent product!

3 Likes

I purchased the AGB (Anti-Glare Blue Light - 85%) from Photodon. Once I receive it and install it, I’ll write back with my experience ;D. I was gonna get the MXG 85% for maximum anti-glare reduction, but since they also had a blue light once that also has MXG 85%, I might as well give the anti blue light a try.

1 Like

Hey all, I’ve received the AGB protector from Photodon today and applied it. I’ve written down my experience here: Photodon Anti-Glare Blue Light (AGB) Screen Protector for the Framework Laptop |@fearedbliss

Since there is a 5 picture limit on the forum, I’ll upload the before and after (side/front) and you can take a look at the other photos at my blog.

Hopefully this will be helpful to others, and thanks to everyone on this thread for the discussion, I’m definitely happy with the purchase ;D.

Before - Side View

After - Side View

Before - Sample Only (Centered) - Front View

After - Front View

10 Likes

Got a matte screen protector from PhotoDon, and I highly recommend it.

This is the MXT 50% one, I feel it’s a good middle ground. Not too matte, and quality isn’t negatively impacted too much.

2 Likes