Memory Support specs?

Hey, I’m curious what memory the current Framework board. From what I can determine the CPU supports up to DDR4-3200. From my own digging, it seems the Framework prebuilts use 3200 boards at CAS 22 at 1.2v. Is there any more information on what the stock modules are?

Does the board support higher voltage chips and/or XMP?

3 Likes

To add to your questions, when choosing my own RAM, will the SO-DIMM sockets provide enough clearance to support cards with chips on both sides, or do I need to select sticks with chips all on one side?

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that Framework was using Hynix RAM modules.

We use a range of brands based on availability. Two sided SO-DIMMs will fit.

6 Likes

Will the Framework’s Motherboard BIOS support XMP?
(example crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3200 requires XMP to read at 3200 otherwise runs at 2666)

3 Likes

I’m also wondering about the XMP support in the bios.

1 Like

@nrp I’m also curious about XMP support.

1 Like

The Framework Laptop certainly supports DRAM that runs natively at 3200. We haven’t tested any memory that requires XMP to run at that rate.

1 Like

I can now confirm that the Ballistix 2x16GB 3200 kit (BL2K16G32C16S4B) runs at 2667 Mhz on my Framework i5-1135G7 and there is no option for XMP in the BIOS.

5 Likes

Never heard of XMP. Time to look it up!

1 Like

Thanks for confirming this so any user who see’s this post must find ram with a JEDEC profile that already runs JEDEC at 3200 nativity (sucks no XMP option but could happen in future boards or BIOS)

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

Thanks for testing and confirming @jeshikat! We definitely recommend natively DDR4-3200 memory then.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting your results. I did suspect that this would be the case.

DDR4 RAM has tables to tell the motherboard how to automatically clock/time the memory. XMP is an extension of that table that specifies configurations outside of what JEDEC (the developer of DDR4) recognizes. You can think of XMP profiles as the memory manufactures’ tested-and-suggested overclocking profiles.

Anything not found in this table and running at 1.2 volts can’t be specified by the normal table as it’s not technically part of the standard. If your DDR4 so-dimm’s advertised timings is not in the table, or it’s not at 1.2 volts, it’s almost certainly using XMP profiles to get there. So be careful to avoid 1.35v modules for this laptop.

5 Likes

We’ve had a report of Kingston HyperX HX429S17IBK2/32 memory not booting on the Framework Laptop. We’re digging into what is causing this, since it should fall back to a standard JEDEC timing rather than not booting. In the meantime though, we recommend using non-XMP memory that runs natively at 3200.

3 Likes

The Crucial 2x16GB 3200MHz kit (CT2K16G4SFRA32A) works at full speed.

5 Likes

@jeshikat, any idea if that a dual rank kit? I’m guessing dual rank modules should work fine, but it would be nice to have some confirmation.

@speckledsea single-rank if I’m interpreting dmidecode right:

Array Handle: 0x0014
Error Information Handle: No Error
Total Width: 64 bits
Data Width: 64 bits
Size: 16 GB
Form Factor: SODIMM
Set: None
Locator: Controller0-ChannelA-DIMM0
Bank Locator: BANK 0
Type: DDR4
Type Detail: Synchronous
Speed: 3200 MT/s
Manufacturer: Crucial Technology
Part Number: CT16G4SFRA32A.C8FE  
Configured Memory Speed: 3200 MT/s
Configured Voltage: 1.2 V
Memory Technology: DRAM
Module Manufacturer ID: Bank 6, Hex 0x9B

There’s eight of these Micron chips on each stick: Part #CT2G8Z32DD8JC-062E | FBGA code: C9BKY

2 Likes

@jeshikat Very thorough, thanks! And yeah, that’s a single-rank board.

Hopefully the memory I have and was planning on putting in mine will run at full spec. I will post when I get my new Framework laptop if it works or not. :laughing:

What I already have: (2 x 8GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws 260-Pin DDR4 SO-DIMM (CL16) 3200MHz (Model F4-3200C16D-16GRS)