Non windows user trying to get Win10 going

Please bare with me here - I am a Linux guy and haven’t got a clue about windows. I just got my shiny new Framework 16 and am trying to set up a basic windows 10 system. I installed win 10 ok but did so without setting up a network connection during the install. I am now trying to set up a network connection but there is no wifi adapter found. I gather I need to install a driver but the driver package available is only for win 11. How can I set up a wifi connection in win 10?

2 Likes

Windows 10 is not supported.
You should install Windows 11.
You can try to install with the Win 11 drivers.

If your CPU is AMD you won’t have wifi driver pre installed if you are using Windows 10 or Windows 11. The drivers installation are the same. Follow the link https://downloads.frame.work/driver/Framework_Laptop_16_AMD_Ryzen_7040_driver_bundle_W11_2024_01_24.exe (I tested in W10 yesterday even it says “W11”)

1 Like

Windows 10 is not officially supported.

However Windows 11 drivers can usually be used on 10.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you! The win 11 drivers worked and my wifi is working.

2 Likes

Using w10 until forced to go to w11[as dual boot] since new, but only if I have to. Linux user here too.

1 Like

I suggest to run Windows 10 in a VM if you dont need 3D acceleration.

I only use two programs under windows - Fusion360 and Brother’s P-Touch. The fact that I have to run Windows is extremely annoying but I have not found a way around it. I have not tried running windows in a virtual environment under Linux.

I have installed Win10x64 without any problem.

Install Framework diver pack as normal but you’ll have to download and install manually AMD Chipset driver pack in addition to that as the one included in Framework bundle will not work under Win 10

1 Like

is the manual chipset pack you have to download for the cpu or for gpu?

I have used both as Framework does not officially support Win10. I thought it’s better to stick with AMD rather than hope for compatibility of Framework pack which is not intended to be used on Win10.

So far so good. You’ll end up with one unknown device which is TPM. I do not use it hence no bother…

1 Like

Can confirm. Here is the link, which I believe will work for all the Ryzens.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/socket-fp5-mobile/amd-ryzen-and-athlon-mobile-chipset
After that you should be left with one more unknown device in Device Manager. It’s the Pluton processor. Don’t worry about that since Windows 10 doesn’t support it anyway.

1 Like