OcuLink Expansion Bay Module

Is there any info about what this module looks like and how you install it? Any pictures?

4 Likes

Is the Module only for the 16" version? Any plans for the 13" version?

The 13 is unfortunately lacking the easily acessible 8 pcie lanes the expansion bay on the 16 provides.

1 Like

How’s the quality on this 8i cable? Have you had a chance to try it yet?

I did plug it into that OCuLink to PCIe x16 slot adapter and it opened at the little plastic clips on the sides which I just pushed back. I really don’t have anything to test it with currently, so I am waiting on the OCuLink board and the GPU interposer to be available. Although, it might be a good idea to get a simple PCIe to OCuLink adapter to test through a standard PC motherboard before doing it with the FW16.

1 Like

While waiting for the extension bay module, I actually tested with a PCIe x16 → Dual Oculink 8i adapter, which I connected to my RTX 3060ti with an 8i Oculink cable and an Oculink 8i → PCIe x16 board, and it works perfectly!
I want to point out that I only tested it in PCIe gen 3, it would be good to test if it works just as well in PCI gen 4 without retimer/redriver.

5 Likes

Sadly I also have a motherboard that only does PCIe 3.0 so my test would’ve also worked. Guess we’ll just have to test it with the FW16 unless someone else can test it with PCIe 4.0. Here’s hoping that it works without a redriver on the laptop. I just hope that people who didn’t get the GPU module can get the interposer when the boards are finished on Josh’s end. I feel like Framework won’t put stock in the marketplace until all preorders are fullfilled.

Can you post any screenshots of the CAD renders, and just out of curiosity what documentation do you still need from Framework to proceed?

1 Like

This is awesome

1 Like

Are you using a small enclosure for the OCuLink connector? If yes, which one is it?

I’m using this enclosure, I highly recommend it!

2 Likes

maybe i’m old fashioned, but i expect enclosures to actually… enclose.

2 Likes

lol, I find it very beautiful without being enclosed in a box, especially with the RGB.

1 Like

Personally, for more power hungry GPUs, I feel an open air solution would be far better for performance. Nice enclosure!

I have a question for the community: does the standard expansion bay shell interposer allow for any bandwith, or is it just to connect the fans? See here: Framework

Just asking in case it could be of any use with Josh’s upcoming boards (which I know will also depend on the design).

The interposer for the shell mostly carries power. There are a few data pins on the USB and I2C busses.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, that settles that. :slight_smile:

Anyone received an email update from Josh recently? I put in my order on March 30th. I received a receipt, but have not received any of the weekly updates. Wondering if the emails are not reaching me for some reason or another.

1 Like

I’m in the same scenario as you. I ordered on March 31st and haven’t received any emails (I have also checked my spam). I’m assuming he hasn’t sent out an update recently but hopefully there’s one soon

No updates as of yet, still waiting on documentation.

2 Likes