Pinout of the 16's 85whr battery?

Hi,

I’ve waited almost a year to get my hands on the 16’s battery and take it apart. I have done this as of a few mins ago, but, unlike the FW13’s battery, the connectors pins aren’t labeled on the board.

Can someone please tell me the pinout of this battery?

Thank you!

Also, if anyone else is curious–the 13 and the 16 share the same BMS - the BQ40z50 (just as I hoped they would!). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok,just going to have to follow this to figure out what you’re up to.

1 Like

I’m also curious where this is leading. Please be careful with it!

4 Likes

Don’t forget to have a video going whenever you try whatever. After all, the fire department needs video proof that it was intentional, rather than accidental, fire. /s

3 Likes

My guess is using the 16" battery with the 13" mainboard

Interesting. I wonder if it’ll physically fit, even with the speakers removed. Unless it’s in some kind of external case.

Thank you so much. This is the second time you’ve replied (SO QUICKLY) to a question of mine, and I deeply appreciate it.

I bought an 11th gen off of ebay a while back and a dude from Germany sent me a dead board to help with prototyping. Once I can afford it I’m hoping to get an AMD board into a modernized Thinkpad 25 (https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-25-Anniversary-Edition-Laptop-Review.253454.0.html). I have been daily driving a modified T480 (I more or less followed A FrankenPad Story: T25 with Quad-Core CPU and UHD LCD Panel - Foxy Blog) since 2018, and it’s time for an upgrade. I have been a thinkpad user since college (early 2000s), and I just can’t give up my 7-row keyboard. <3

I’ve already bought a fair amount of equipment to get this accomplished. The only thing I really lack is time (9 months out of the year, at least) due to being a teacher. But summer is coming up, so hopefully I can get this done! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Imgur

After a whole lotta research and some gambling, I think I have a workable connector for the mainboard (man, those connector pins are tiny!). I also desoldered a connector off of a donor T470 that, coincidentally, has the same pin layout I need for the framework battery (assuming the VRTC connection on the 85whr is what I think it is). Now I just need to double-check the wiring layout, solder things together, and hope nothing goes 'splody on me. If it doesn’t work, it’s also possible I’ll be able to use the EV2400 I bought to reprogram the BMS, but that’s a measure I really don’t want to have to take.

1 Like

Might be worth adding an inline fuse, sized to max amps the board should consume?

Likely a good idea, but if I’m being honest I might be too impatient to wait for an amazon package. The BMS is the same, the voltages are the same, so… maybe it’ll work out. I already have a dead board that starts up but won’t post, so if I fry it nothing is lost IMO. To lose the battery would be a bummer, but I’m going to do this all outdoors just in case.