Post code bits meaning

Hi, I just replaced the hinges in my framework laptop, and it seems I didn’t put it back together perfectly because when I turn it on there is a sequence of blinks before it eventually powers on.
I get a green blink followed by 12 green lights, an orange light, and then GGGBBGGG.

The computer works fine except for the camera so I think it’s the camera wire, but I wanted to know where I could find what these last 8 blinks mean. Is there an explanation anywhere? I found an explanation of the first few blinks at My Framework Laptop is not powering on

7 Likes

It would be nice to have a listing of the blink code meanings. I’m sure that information is somewhere. I just have no idea where.

2 Likes

Found this discussion while trying to diagnose and fix my laptop myself. Its been 2 weeks of piecemeal steps by the CS with no indication of what the actual POST codes mean.

I’ve scoured the help guides but i now think they are definitely deliberately not disclosing them

Its really frustrating as they expect you to fix your own laptop but at the same time hampering our ability to actually do that

Sharing the link support gave me in the hopes somebody knows how to make use of it.

2 Likes

@Usernames thank you for this. Very much appreciated. I have figured out how they match. Since there are 8 sections, each section basically corresponds to one blink.

In my case, since its Blue on the first blink of the second set, this is likely a CPU or BIOS issue

2 Likes

Yeah I got that far as well but each section has several steps so I wasn’t confident… Glad you got your answer!

@Chironjit_Das You may try to decode the POST code using the Insyde BIOS documentation that can be found here.

I don’t know why it is not included with the official doc, or why it’s not easily available from Insyde’s website itself, but the link I sent should do it.

Are you sure it’s the bit 1, and not the bit 0, that is blue for you? You mentionned it was the first blink of the second sequence, so I would have thought “bit 0”, but do you see a green blink just before that blue one?

1 Like

Sorry, yes, my bad on the error on the graphical part. It is indeed only the first LED of the second part that blinks blue.

None of the tables correspond one to one with a set of 8 POST codes, so i’m not sure how to interpret it. It would be helpful if Framework just told us so that we can have an inkling of what may have gone wrong.

Of course, maybe i am wrong and it wouldn’t really help for an average user.

1 Like

Can’t seem to edit my own post - I have figured out how the LEDs match the post code. Basically per my interpretation of the codes, its likely been a CPU issue all along. Will post my comments here:

1 Like

Yes that would be my guess too. It’s hard to be sure without physically testing the CPU, but that should help a lot the diagnostics.

However I urge you to be patient with Support: they will eventually get to that point too, it’s just very unfortunate that the timezones don’t match.

But indeed they could (if not tied by a NDA with Insyde) show this POST decoding information somewhere on the Wiki. Also maybe they are afraid that customers jump to conclusions based only on these POST codes, even though the reality is often more complex.

Edit: also, I don’t think that your issue would be just with the CPU, or the screen would probably still display something at boot, so maybe your mainboard has several problems.

If the CPU is dead, nothing will be displayed.
Of course, if the CPU isn’t completely dead there could be something displayed.
In this state you could only test this by swapping the CPU which isn’t possible for us users. So we can’t say for sure what’s the problem, but all parts are fixed on the motherboard anyway, so imho it doesn’t make a big difference.

1 Like

@mahe Ah OK, my bad! I thought that somehow the BIOS/EC alone would display something. I think I have vestigial memories of old computers that could display something with the CPU removed?

@Mapleleaf well, at least back to the Pentium 90 times (I think that was 1994 if I remember correctly) I can say: No CPU, no display output.
The CPU is the very first hardware which gets initialized by the BIOS/UEFI.

2 Likes

@mahe Thanks a lot!! Ok, I most definitely mixed up memories, and I was probably not understanding everything at that time (was quite young).

Cool, it makes more sense. So a dead CPU is very consistent with the symptoms observed in this case.

So, the link above is now invalid. Has Insyde decided to remove even this little bit of information that was left? (and that was already quite difficult to find)
Anyway, it can be found it here, now:
https://www.gsmservice.od.ua/trafaret/postcodes/indyde/InsydeH2O%20codes.pdf

2 Likes