Putting a small dot of glue on certain keyboard keys to differentiate the key?

I’m just dying to make some keys feel different tactile-wise for putting in passwords in the dark or easily finding some specific keys without having to look or make sure my hands are positioned just perfectly.

Hoping a tiny spot of glue left to harden over 48 hours (my go-to solution for mech keyboards) won’t mess up the screen if I leave the laptop closed for a few months.

How bad of an idea is this?

Do you know about the keyboard backlightning?

5 Likes

I don’t exactly know how tight the tolerances are but anything under the hinge when the laptop is closed is typically not a good idea. The amount of cracked LCD’s I’ve seen due to someone closing it on a paperclip or other object on MacBooks at least is pretty high.

1 Like

Are F and J not enough ?
Do you touch type ?

3 Likes

The screen is pretty close to the keys. As long as you don’t compress it in a backpack and as long as the glue doesn’t release nasty solvents, it’s probably fine, but I’m not sure why you need the additional markings, aren’t the usual ones on the f and j keys enough?

2 Likes

Not for me. I would really really like some or all of the number keys to feel just a tiny bit different without me having to look at them. Obviously this isn’t important enough for enough people generally, but hoping a <1mm thick drop of glue should do it without any problems.

For a similar purpose I once used tiny (maybe 2mm by 1mm) rectangles of sticky post-it note. It is easy to feel and lasts a surprisingly long time, and of course is removed easily.

Anything lower than the f and j bumps would presumably be safe, and fingertips are incredibly sensitive to bumps in height like that.

You could even buy braille keycap stickers (very expensive) or maybe make a diy version, and learn to read them :slight_smile:

1 Like