Questionaire: Features for potential 15" (or 16/17") Version

Unfortunately, eyesight deteriorates with age.

4 Likes

Boo!!..

3 Likes

No, totally agree about the weight. I carry my laptop all the time and 1.5kg is about the max I’d accept. Closer to 1kg would be great. Note that I’m after lightweight computer, just not crazy thin. 1" is still over 3cm, which is more than a lot of laptops we see now. I have not seen that many bags/backpacks that can fit 1" thick laptop, but couldn’t fit 1.5" or something.
Super-thin laptop inherently suck in two ways: bad airflow/cooling, not enough room for easy access to RAM, hard drives, etc.

4 Likes

Well, why? Why do you need your laptop to be thin?

1 Like

Absolutely! After so many years of using laptops I still didn’t figure out how to use the keyboard without inadvertantly touching the touchpad. On my older thinkpad, I used to just disable it. Trackpoint is the way to go.

1 Like

As someone who’s moving from my current 15" workhorse to a Framework+desktop setup, I’ve come to the conclusion that for most use cases, it’s way better to have a thin-and-light laptop and a powerful desktop.

The upsides:

• laptop is actually portable (lighter, no dGPU = more battery efficient, etc)
  • desktops are usually better-cooled and the processors are orders of magnitude better (i.e. look at Ryzen 9)

The downsides:

• two machines (makes e.g. backups more annoying)

For me, the upsides more than make up for the complexity in dealing with backups and multiple machines. Especially since I will effectively be treating the desktop as the “source of truth” in terms of files. The fact that Framework is easily taken apart is only icing on the cake (since I dealt with extremely poor cooling in my current laptop for years because I literally had to disassemble the entire laptop just to clean the fans — it was a nightmare).

Now, why thin (and not just light)? It just makes it more comfortable to carry and use, imo. But also because once the laptops aren’t thin, they usually start stuffing more stuff in there (e.g. dGPU) — there’s no reason not to, since they now have more space to play with. When I see a not-thin laptop, I automatically associate it with not-light.

2 Likes

How thin does it have to be though?

Not asking for a desktop replacement, but an extra 2 or 3 millimeters would have enabled better cooling, and most importantly, probably enough depth for a trackpoint module. We might have even been able to get away with cherry mx ultra low profile switches.

5 Likes

You guys prob don’t care but this was what I picked and why
Increased battery size. Bigger laptop overall so should be easy to implement.
More extension cards. 5/6. 6 Would be nice
Two SSD slot. Really need. I can put a 980 pro for boot, maybe 1tb and another 2tb 970 evo. Would appreciate the storage space.
GPU, just something to run AAA games at like medium/low. Perhaps a 2060/3050 is feasible.
Full size arrow keys, would be nice to have.
Ethernet, I don’t mind an expansion card with like a drop down latch.
Better speakers: I’m willing to pay like 80 dollars for much better speakers, ones that are upward firing and with sound quality close to xps.
Professional touchscreen, good to have.

I’m a high schooler.

4 Likes

I will pay $30 to see that happen. Make it PXE compatiable. And full metal mechanism. The plastic one on my hp laptop is dying.

Yes. Even better would be a SSD and a 2.5 inch.

The reason it’s very difficult/impossible to do is because all slots must also be Thunderbolt 4 slots because they need to allow for display and power pass through
Unless it is specified that certain ports are Thunderbolt while certain ports are only USB. (e.g. left side for thunderbolt, right side for standard USB)

1 Like

I don’t care so much about AMD vs Intel, but a 15+ inch has to have a better processor than the 13 inch. The XPS 15, which would be a competitor, comes with 6 and 8 core processors. A four core isn’t going to be competitive.

A numpad is a no go for me. Off centering the touchpad and keyboard from the screen is frustrating. Luckily, I think it should be possible for Framework to do both as the current laptop mounts most other components to the bottom

2 Likes

I will always opt for lighter, thinner, cooler, quieter. The primary use case for powerful CPU and graphics is games, and the games which I might play on a laptop will tend to be older ones which aren’t demanding for modern CPUs & GPUs. So, I tend to get less powerful CPUs, basically an i5 type CPU. Integrated graphics is fine for me.

I tend to beef up the RAM, so I can run VMs, and get a fast-but-efficient SSD, because storage I/O throughput is the major bottleneck in terms of having to wait for the computer to boot up or load applications.

I don’t like fan noise or excessive heat. Even on my desktop, I built it with components which were carefully selected to minimize fan noise while still being powerful/fast.

1 Like

These three are very difficult to go together. There is not a single satisfying system I have used that keeps the temps below 70 degree Celsius under full load. Except this vastly underrated … er. 15-dw1083wm. Because it get a 8cm fan and a 15W CPU. Things never go above 60 degrees.

Oh. It come with WIndows 10 S and Netflint. I didn’t even notice that as I just take out the harddrive, put mine in and install my own system, as always.

1 Like

Hopefully, I still count as member of people. Would want 14" with trackpoint, not too hung up about specific keyboard layout as long as it’s good (e.g. has dedicated insert key). Numpad would be nice, but can live without it.

3 Likes

I get your point, there’s plenty of laptops out there like that though. My current main laptop is 0.69". When it comes to it being actually portable, I just don’t see how it’s better than say 1". I’d much rather it was 250g lighter and 1" thick…

We’re just in different circumstances, I have two different offices I regularly use, so desktop + laptop wouldn’t be a solution + I need that GPU from time to time and I wouldn’t want to try planning when to do what based on when I have the GPU available.

I will pick lighter, cooler. Need decent power incl. GPU though. The one you’re talking about --isn’t that the Framework that’s already available?

Two important items that are not options in the survey: (a) a track point, (b) matte screen.

1 Like

(Looks down on keyboard)
It’s a hp dw1083wm. 15-inch, 6 row keyboard with numpad.

It kind of have a dedicated insert key. There is a Prt_Sc/Ins living next to F12, or a 0/Ins on the numpad.
It does NOT have an indicator for numlock, which is very very painful.

Realistically, I think a numpad beats everything because in number mode, it allows excel chads to type like tornado, while in navigation mode it allows … I don’t know what you actually use home/pageup/pagedown/end for, but I suppose they are very powerful in the right hands.

I think it is a feature so important, that we don’t even need to talk about it. It should be mandatory.
On laptops/displays that is not matte, I think some kind of “screen protector” will do. If you can’t find a matte screen protector, I think you can DIY one by rubbing it with sandpaper.

2 Likes

You jest right? I’ve never even thought of doing this nor have heard of anyone doing it but it sounds like a terrible idea lol

5 Likes

Worst case scenario, you wasted a screen protector.
I had done said “sanding it down so it’s matte” on my DIY projects involving see-thru plastic and some display. I have not done it on a large size LCD but it’s certainly not impossible, especially when the screen protectors are separete

Just make sure that the screen protector you get is plastic (the cheapest type) and not glass (or things like acrylic).
I will use a grade 400 sandpaper.

2 Likes

Here, it sounded like you were recommending rubbing the screen with sandpaper :flushed:

Here it became clear that you meant sanding the screen protector.

I hope you understand why the reaction was the way it was :joy:

8 Likes