[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

I had wondered if Framework would have some difficulties given how few other 7x40U laptops are on the market currently. Even with AMD’s engineering support, you’d think that their timeline would be behind the large OEMs who already have experience building AMD laptops, but even with this delay Framework may still be one of the first 7640U systems available for sale. And that’s on top of the challenges of the expansion card system and simultaneously shipping a new gen of Intel product and designing the 16.

I’d certainly prefer that they get it right than rush it, and the communication is much appreciated.

5 Likes

I’m glad they are finally letting us know what’s happening. I’m surprised that there were several issues to delay it. It would have been nice to know sooner, but I must say, having all of these issues laid out at once, is probably better than having the information sent out in pieces as the problems came up. I certainly wouldn’t have bought memory and an SSD if I had known we won’t get it until September. I’m debating about switching to Intel.

1 Like

I would have just ordered a 13th-gen Intel version at this point, but I already got DDR5 RAM so I’ll ride out the wait. I would much rather wait than have faulty equipment.

Yeah, I’m just as guilty of it as others, but there’s a reason people don’t advise buying components until you’re ready to build a machine (i.e., in this case, having the Framework either confirmed shipping or in hand), most of us will be well outside the return window for components when it arrives so we’ll be stuck going through RMAs with individual sellers if there are any issues. It’s rarely worth any “savings” you get.

It’s a lesson I didn’t learn the first time when I had to RMA a faulty GPU I bought a month before I had everything ready to build and test.

3 Likes

Yeah, a bit of a bummer to have to wait a few more weeks. I dunno, I’ve bought into enough 1st gen products to know about “early adopter issues”. I certainly did it knowing what I might be getting into this time too. I actually do need a (work) laptop sooner than later as my previous laptop unceremoniously died a month ago. :frowning: I’m actually currently on vacation typing this on my Steam Deck. With somewhere to dock it, it actually works pretty good as a portable Linux dev machine. Hehe. >_<

5 Likes

For anyone coming to this thread looking for updates on the AMD batch status; here’s the full email, sent on August 9th:

Update on Framework Laptop 13 (Ryzen 7040 Series) shipment timing

Unfortunately, due to electrical issues we recently found during validation along with late firmware delivery from our silicon vendors, we’ve had to delay the start of mass production for Framework Laptop 13 (Ryzen 7040 Series) until September. We’ll be shipping as many pre-orders as we can before the end of September, but we anticipate that many orders originally in Q3 batches will need to move into Q4. We have prepared substantial production capacity, so we don’t expect the late start to cascade into delays in later batches.

We know this delay is disappointing, but we prioritize building products for longevity, stability and quality. To paraphrase the saying in the video game industry, delayed hardware is eventually good, but rushed hardware is forever bad (even when it’s repairable and upgradeable). We understand if the product timing no longer meets your requirements, and you can follow the instructions in the Knowledge Base article here to cancel and refund your pre-order if necessary. Framework Laptop 13 (13th Gen Intel Core) is also now in stock and ships within 5 days from inventory if you need a Framework Laptop quickly and don’t have a strong processor brand preference (the reviews for the product are solid).

We have full detail on the source of the delays below along with early guidance on installing Windows and Linux and some quirks in behavior around power consumption with Expansion Cards that you should keep in mind. We’ll continue to keep you updated as we complete validation and ramp into mass production.

Details on the delay

We prefer to design products around mature silicon, but the implosion of the PC industry over the last year caused other brands to cancel many of their products, resulting in us being among the first to ship AMD Ryzen 7040 Series U-class processors, AMD RZ616 WiFi modules, and Infineon CCG8 USB-PD controllers. This means we’re at the leading edge of firmware and software development for each of these. Both the AMD and Infineon firmware is coming in hot, with the first proper feature-complete releases for both arriving just this week. Both companies have helped us along the way by creating special early point releases for our development, but these final releases are necessary to resolve launch-blocking bugs and complete testing.

With firmware stability coming in late, our electrical validation was also delayed, resulting in us finding a few launch-blocking issues after we had originally locked our Mainboard design for production. We’ve made a late board revision to fix these issues, pushing out our factory ramp schedule as we wait for updated PCBs to arrive. The specific issues we found and resolved were around power consumption during standby on the memory power rails, an inefficient power supply design for the USB4 retimers, and a bug in the SSD circuit that could cause drive instability.

AMD has dedicated team members working with us on design and validation, and they have been fantastic partners in ensuring this product is robust and high-performance. With both their engineers and our amazing Framework engineering team on the job, we’re confident that the product we’ll ship is solid.

Expansion Card power guidance

Unlike on the Framework Laptop 13 (13th Gen Intel Core) where all four slots behave the same, on the Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series), there are some compatibility parameters you have to keep in mind for functionality and to optimize your battery life. The back two slots support USB4 and display output through Kandou retimers that ensure proper signal integrity. The front right slot supports USB 3.2 along with display output through an Analogix retimer. The front left slot supports USB 3.2 but no display output.

We learned recently that the Kandou retimers don’t enter a suspend state with an empty USB-A Expansion Card or with a USB 2.0 device plugged in, resulting in high power draw. This also occurs with HDMI (3rd Gen) and DisplayPort (2nd Gen) Expansion Cards, but we are currently working through a firmware solution for this.

We’ll be creating tools to check whether your Expansion Card configuration is power optimal and to help update your firmware if needed. In the meantime, you can reference the diagram below for guidance on the behavior of each slot:

Installing Windows on DIY Edition
The Windows installation process continues to become less friendly to both consumers and hardware makers with every release. Microsoft now requires network access and logging into a Microsoft account during installation, but no longer prioritizes including up to date WiFi drivers. The current Windows installer available from Microsoft doesn’t have drivers for the AMD RZ616 WiFi card that comes with the Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series), resulting in blocked installation.

Luckily, there are a couple of workarounds for this. The first is the pretty convoluted workaround that Microsoft publishes to manually load WiFi drivers. The better workaround is to use Rufus, which lets you create a Windows installer that bypasses the network account requirement. Finally, we’re also exploring building a tool that automatically injects the WiFi driver into the Windows installer. We’ll publish and share what we determine is the most reliable and convenient method as a step by step installation guide before we start shipping.

Installing Linux
Providing Linux users a solid experience out of the box is always one of our top priorities. With help from the AMD team, we’re getting close to the target. Since the silicon we’re shipping is extremely new, a very recent kernel is needed to get complete and stable driver support. Depending on the distro you choose, there may be extra steps involved to get to a new enough kernel. We’ll have updated step by step guides ready before we start shipments, but preliminarily, we expect that Fedora 38 will work smoothly out of the box, while Ubuntu LTS 22.04.2 will need some manual effort to get a recent mainline kernel.

14 Likes

I’m in Batch1 but didn’t get such email, should I be worried?

Alessandro, as far as I could tell they sent it to everyone with AMD preorders.

You should be able to check your order status online to confirm that your preorder is still valid (and hasn’t been mistakenly deleted for some reason). Then if you’ve confirmed the email about the delay isn’t in your spam folder I suppose you could reach out to support about your status just for peace of mind.

Mine just says “Batch 1 - Ships Q3”

The preorder is still there and confirmed, hopefully everything is still alright.

:suprised pikachu:

1 Like

There’s a key combo to get a command prompt during setup, then a command, reboot, and then it allowed non-internet setup. It’s annoying, but I do it so I can have a username that’s not the same as my email address, then link my Microsoft account later.

5 Likes

I just download the iso instead of the media creation tool directly writing to usb. Then use Rufus to write the ISO to usb, it has an option to add a local admin account where you can choose the username.

After installing you dont need internet and also can use the local account or link it to a MS account. Quite hassle-free tbh

1 Like

Batch 5 here; didn’t get any mail.

3 Likes

Same, Batch 5. No email yet.

1 Like

Most likely they’re anticipating Batch 5 orders won’t be delayed

5 Likes

As of today, AMD 7040 series are on batch 6, shipping quarter 4. We had an error earlier today showing out of stock, this has been remedied with batch 6.

8 Likes

Hey @Matt_Hartley,
I really enjoyed your Q&A in the battery life test streaming.

I’m looking forward for the next one!

4 Likes

Appreciate that! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

As far as I can tell, this is only on Windows Home, if you have/choose Windows Pro you can select “Sign In Options” when it displays the login screen and choose “Domain Join Instead” which allows the creation of local accounts. We’ve done this at work for both devices connected to the network, and devices not yet connected.

1 Like