[RESPONDED] Glitchy Chrome text

I have a 12th Gen. I’m on Debian testing and am running GNOME on Wayland.

In Chrome and Chrome based applications (like Visual Studio Code), I will occasionally see glitchy text. I attached a screenshot of what that looks like. Has anyone been able to fix that?

I just tried the psr=0 kernel argument and that didn’t work :frowning:
The “Wayland” Preferred Ozone platform chrome://flag didn’t work either :frowning:

The only thing I’ve found to regularly work is to turn off Chrome’s hardware acceleration. I haven’t really experimented with going back to Xorg; I’d rather stay on Wayland. I’d also rather have hardware accelerated Chrome. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Screenshot from 2023-02-18 11-27-15

Have you made any changes to your fonts recently or has this always been a problem?

Have you tested Xorg even if you prefer to use Wayland? Looking for potential causes.

Any hardware changes recently such as cables to an external display or opening up your Framework and adjusting any cables.

@juancnuno you need to disable gpu rasterization on chrome. chrome://flags/#enable-gpu-rasterization disable it. Should clear up your glitchy text. At least on chrome. You can enable hardware acceleration and wayland.

1 Like

Hello @juancnuno, yeah I think @nadb suggestion on disabling GPU rasterization inside chrome looks to be a good recommendation, it usually fixes rendering issues with chrome and chrome based apps, let us know how it goes.

1 Like

Have you made any changes to your fonts recently or has this always been a problem?

Nope. This has always been a problem.

Have you tested Xorg even if you prefer to use Wayland? Looking for potential causes.

I tested X11 for the first time and although it took a bit longer (which could be totally random) I eventually saw the glitchyness

Any hardware changes recently such as cables to an external display or opening up your Framework and adjusting any cables.

I usually use my laptop connected to an external monitor via a USB-C cable. It is a DIY edition but I haven’t opened it since putting it together for the first time.

@juancnuno you need to disable gpu rasterization on chrome. chrome://flags/#enable-gpu-rasterization disable it. Should clear up your glitchy text. At least on chrome. You can enable hardware acceleration and wayland.

This did make a difference. I disabled GPU rasterization and didn’t see the glitches in my testing. It usually comes up withing 15 minutes of browsing Reddit.

Edit: When I tested disabled GPU rasterization I did it with Wayland and Chrome hardware acceleration on. Objectively there was a lot of fan noise when I tested. Subjectively (?) it seemed my laptop was working a lot harder. Reddit felt a bit more sluggish.

Quick question are you using Thermald with dptfxtract? If not I recommend it. While it does technically throttle your CPU (minimal) what it really ends up doing is maintaining a thermal profile that is 1) what the manufacturer intended 2) capable of sustained high performance and 3) do so without causing massive spikes in fan usage.

I would consider the above change and then test on a fresh boot. In my testing it did not really affect the CPU usage in a major way, on most sites… Reddit did not seem to be anymore sluggish than it usually can be at certain times of day or due to exgternal factors (AWS being slow like yesterday or the day before).

1 Like

I looked into thermald and dptfxtract. dptfxtract’s documentation says:

Thermald version 2.0 and later has in built parser for thermal tables. So this utility is not required.
Make sure that thermald “–adaptive” option is used.

I confirmed that my thermald is running with:

/usr/sbin/thermald --systemd --dbus-enable --adaptive

So I don’t need dptfxtract?

I reran my test and the fan did come on but it didn’t seem as aggressive

1 Like

Good to know about it being built in now.