[RESPONDED] Headphone jack intermittent noise?

hmmm. I am on 22.04 as well and I do not have any issue with my headphone jack. I use it quite regularly as well. I’m a batch 1 though, and maybe that has something to do with it.

I’m also on 22.04
Lspci shows the following audio device: 00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Tiger Lake-LP Smart Sound Technology Audio Controller (rev 20)
Kernel: 5.15.0-41-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jun 22 14:20:53 UTC 2022 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I use the audio jack a LOT, and I don’t have any noise or distortion issues with it and have not had any with the last few kernel releases during the last 2-3 months

1st batch 12th gen laptop user here to report that unfortunately, this has not been resolved.
My laptop makes a very apparent bleep when switching in and out of power saving mode. It also makes a hissing noise that’s not very noticeable with my passive headphones but very apparent while using my Sony noise-cancelling headphones that have active amplification when wired. It is louder when the chip is active than when it is in power-saving mode.
Tested in both Windows 11 and Fedora 36, using BIOS version 3.04 (the only one available at this time)

1 Like

I never had this issue on my 11th gen model, but I just installed the 12th gen upgrade kit and now I hear the loudest beeps and static. I have no idea why the upgrade would have done this as its a separate board but that’s where I’m at now :frowning:

Also experiencing this, 12th gen batch 2. It happens before a sound starts playing, and around 10s after one stops playing. I experience it quite often and it’s pretty loud, hope it can be fixed!

I’ve noticed if there’s no active audio coming from the computer, I’ll get some ground hum out of the headphone jack after a short period of non-playback.

This is unrelated to the issue I originally reported in this thread: there was noise during sound reproduction through the headphone jack. The ground hum after sound has stopped is pretty predictable. Also easy to prevent: I hit the mute on my mixer after I’m done playing something.

It’s mildly annoying but not a huge deal.

Edit: I want to say that I reported this because I’m a musician and I pay attention to these things. I also want to say that the framework has been my music computer since I got it and I love it for that and really everything else I’ve tried to use it for.

2 Likes

I got the Intel 12th gen batch 2. Experiencing this on Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon with kernel 5.15 and Cinnamon 5.4.

I find that with one pair of earbuds I get a really bad static noise that almost dominates the audio (the earbuds are fine on my phone and other devices).

However, I have another pair of headphones with a volume changer built into the cable. If I turn down the volume changer on the cable and then turn up the audio on my laptop to compensate the static cannot be heard.

The same thing here. More annoying is that sometimes when I power the laptop down while still wearing headphones, I sometimes hear a very loud and unpleasant pop. The common sense is to never wear headphones while plugging, unplugging and powering on and off, but I thought that modern devices mitigate that.

This is not a deal breaker issue, but still unpleasant, especially considering the overall device price.

For those running Linux using Pipewire and Wireplumber (for example Fedora 36 or 37) I have managed to fix occasional crackle by changing the output format for the analog audio output. I have the newer Tempo audio codec.

This won’t fix the pop sound when the codec turns on and off but it should stop any crackling and pop noises when playing back audio.

Try adding this to a file named 51-fix-crackle.lua in /usr/share/wireplumber/main.lua.d then reboot:

rule = {
  matches = {
    {
      { "node.name", "equals", "alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo" },
    },
  },
  apply_properties = {
    [ "audio.format" ] = "S16LE" ,
  },
}

table.insert(alsa_monitor.rules, rule)
7 Likes

Well done! Great share!

2 Likes

You can also do the same thing in /etc/wireplumber/main.lua.d if you want to keep your custom configuration out of /usr.

Pipewire seems to want to pick 32-bit samples if left to its own devices (I think that’s its internal representation?), which is strange because the hardware only seems to expose 16, 20, and 24 bit options:

Default PCM:
    rates [0x5e0]: 44100 48000 88200 96000 192000
    bits [0xe]: 16 20 24
    formats [0x1]: PCM

Feels like something that should be getting configured differently out-of-the-box.

2 Likes

Pipewire is still very young, but already a huge improvement. Did this change correct the problem?

It did seem to fix the popping I was noticing, yes.

1 Like

i am having the same problem of static and beeping, im running windows 11 and have a 12th gen batch 3 device.

I’ve seen some solutions for Linux, has anyone found a fix for windows?

I’m getting this as well on my framework 13 2nd batch. Running Win10

All, please provide as many details as possible.

• OS
  • AC power connected or not.
  • If AC power connected, tried moving things around, removing power, etc.
  • List any and everything connected.

Normally I’d say this is a rate issue, but this is happening on Windows and Linux, then that’s may be different.

I have the same issue on the framework gen 12 laptop with Linux.
I reached the support team, but I just don’t have the time to investigate and try different OS or distribution.

First off, welcome to the community @Charles4!

As luck would have it, we just re-tested 11th and 12th gen yesterday to make sure the latest kernel releases on Fedora 38 (latest kernel) and Ubuntu 22.04.3 (running 6.1 OEM C kernel) are presenting the correct audio experience from the headphone jack.

As for other distros, can’t speak to that.

@foura @John_Flatness Does your wireplumber address the constant hissing static that occurs when the audio driver is active? Or is this for a different problem?

John’s approach would help, however, on a modern, up to date Linux install using Pipewire should not be needed unless something is outdated or manually tweaked.