[RESPONDED] Headphone jack intermittent noise?

I suppose then that there’s no software or firmware fix for the static hiss when using headphones then?

Solutions to audio issues are usually configuration related in my experience. With Pipewire and the symptoms you indicated, the link I provided above is what we’d suggest as I have not had this issue myself, but, symptomatically, it sounds like a PCM rate issue which is very fixable if you try what was suggested.

Unfortunately, applying the config from above does not change anything about the constant static. I’ll keep searching elsewhere, and if anyone does find a solution to the buzz lemme know

Sorry to hear that. Additional things to try:

• Unplug from AC power, move laptop to a completely different location - test again. In case it’s picking up interference.

• Testing different headphones.

• Always, always test with a Live USB of your selected distro - this will determine two things immediately. If it doesn’t present there, same location, attached to power - could be a software bug. If it does present there, in different locations and detached from power and tested with multiple headsets, you’ll want to open a support ticket.

Be careful about following advice else where as I have seen first hand where dated, often incorrect blog/forum posts have made the issue worse.

@huantian it seemed to fix background noise and occasional pop noises when playing back audio. it does not fix the pop sound when the codec turns on and off. note that as @Matt_Hartley said, this should not be required with an up to date pipewire.

1 Like

@Matt_Hartley Thanks for the additional troubleshooting steps, but unforunately no luck regarding background noise.

• I’ve been testing on battery for most of this, so AC power doesn’t seem to be the cause. I have tried elsewhere in the building but not in an entirely different one.
  • I tried another pair of headphones, they seemed to have the same problem. If I can get my hands on any other pairs I’ll try them out.
  • I’m running NixOS, and just tested in NixOS live as well as EndeavorOS just in case. Same issue in both, though I didn’t check if they were running pipewire or pulseaudio by default.

@foura I should be on a relatively recent pipewire version 0.3.79. I don’t think I have any additional config that could be messing with it. Running NixOS with KDE Plasma, fairly standard pipewire config.

I suppose I should open a support ticket then? Would it be helpful to link to this thread/copy paste this info?

Appreciate the update, I would open a ticket. You’ll want to link to this thread. You will be asked to do stuff feels like it’s already been done, but bear with it - each step has a purpose when they request it. Then it will fall to the Linux support team (that I lead) and we will go over the steps they support team had you work through, and we’ll take the next steps to address this accordingly depending on the findings.

Thanks, will open a ticket.

One last thing, I saw this earlier post that seemed to indicate the background noise was to be expected: [TRACKING] Headphone jack intermittent noise? - #98 by Quinn_Wedemeyer. I am I reading this correctly, or was the response more about the popping when the card enters power save?

Is this 11th gen? If so, this may be what is happening with the 11th Gen Boards with Realtek DACs and this blog post explains more from 2021.

Ah, I have a 12th gen framework, so I assume that the quote and the blog post doesn’t apply, and I shouldn’t have any background noise?

Separate thing. We’ll tackle this on the ticket. Thanks

1 Like

Just wanted to chime in here as an 11th gen with a Tempo chip, static and the power state chirps are very much a thing and to be honest I thought it was a Tempo issue and not a Realtek one but I’m not 100% sure.

The background hiss is with any headphones even cheap buds (OG gameboy) and any OS.

As for the chirp from changing power state, Windows by default will not allow the chip back to sleep where as Linux by default will sleep the chip after 5s inactivity.

Static is unsolvable IMO only the power state chirp can be suppressed to start up and shutdown.

Appreciate the insights @Usernames

1 Like

Hello

Just wanted to say that I’m experiencing this issue as well on 13th gen Intel, windows 11. Similarly to how others have described it, there will be background static for a short while and if you don’t play any audio, it will pop and the static will dissappear. If you start then playing audio, the static will be active in the background and when you stop playing, it will pop shortly after.

I’m quite sensitive to noise so this has been rather frustrating to me, but I couldn’t see any obvious solutions here that would fix it.

More details:
Multiple headphones - same issue
Doesn’t seem to matter whether plugged in or not
Changing bitrate and disabling enhancements had no impact either

1 Like

For Windows, I would open a ticket.

Spoke to the hardware team, this is a known issue with the Tempo codec described here. It’s been something we have been working to solve and found the best approach is to use the new audio expansion card instead.

While it can be minimized to a degree, it’s not really a great experience and we are recommending the expansion card for those needing crystal clear audio (which I get and it does sound great). Not an ideal solution out of the box, but it’s what we have to offer with the Tempo codec being the contributing force here.

3 Likes

Wow has the time flown by! I just wanted to chime in and say that, since posting, I changed OS to Manjaro and started using Pipewire. I haven’t had the static issue with the headphone jack in a long time. This is confusing as the best explanation here seems to be hardware related. I don’t know if the changes I made to my OS made a difference or not but wanted to post here in case it was useful to anyone else.

If this consistently appears to be resolved, there may have been an issue with the release of Pipewire in Pop and Manjaro may have had a patch or newer release, difficult to say without comparing it against Fedora for example.

1 Like

I too am having audio issues. I hear a pop when I plug in my headphones, and when audio stops playing I also hear a pop. While audio plays, there is a consistent static sound that I can hear through my headphones.

I’m on Linux with pipewire/wireplumber, and the issue occurs regardless of if I am connected to AC or not, or if I have anything (besides headphones) plugged in.

I’ve been dealing with this problem for over a year now, so any kind of fix would be amazing.

I tried some of the earlier suggestions in this thread such as the lua script for wireplumber, local config in /etc/modprobe.d, etc. but nothing seems to have worked so far.

Which distro and which release?