[RESPONDED] Understanding "Automatic Failover" and "New Boot Device Priority"

I have some trouble in understanding the two UEFI options “Automatic Failover” and “New Boot Device Priority”, and I don’t know why. As far as I understand them:

• Automatic Failover: If the first boot entry isn’t available for some reason, try the second one. If the second one is not available, try the third one. If the third one… So standard behavior, like on every other mainboard. This would also mean that disabling this option means: Boot the first entry, and only the first entry. If the first entry isn’t available, abort.
  • New Boot Device Priority: If set to “Last”, new boot entries are appended to the list. If set to “First”, new boot entries are prepended to the list (which also means: “Boot that USB drive I just inserted prior to powering the laptop on”). “Auto” completely confuses me.

Welcome to the forums! :slight_smile:

Please make sure to provided requested details to help us, help you.

Hi @Matt_Hartley,

I expected this to be generation-independent.

Which OS (Operating System)?
Arch Linux.

Which release of your OS (Operating System)?
Latest.

Framework laptop (11th or 12th generation Framework laptop) are you asking for support with?
13th Gen Intel Framework 13.

I mean you explained it pretty succinctly. As far as the New Boot Device Priority “Auto” setting goes, my understanding is that it will set your EFI to read only and let the system configure your boot priority, similar to Automatic Failover. Setting it to “First” or “Last” enables editing.

Was there a specific scenario or behavior you wanted to understand?

I’d ask this as well. What are you needing to understand again?