Small oversight in SSD instalation guide

Recently I had my framework 16 suddenly crash in the middle of using it with the error “Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed”
I then discovered that i hadn’t removed the plastic film on the Primary SSD’s thermal pad, most likely causing it to overheat.
The quick start guide doesn’t mention anything about the thermal pads, and with the Primary SSD’s pad being on the underside of the mid plate, I hadn’t noticed it during setup.

With the guide being extremely simple and easy to follow, it is important to have it correct and complete.
Anybody who follows the instructions verbatim and without question like I did is extremely likely to make the same mistake I did.

The worst part about it is that it did actually work fine for quite some time.
I could see this potentially causing a lot of frustration for some people trying to troubleshoot the issue.

If you own a framework 16 DIY edition and are not sure if you removed the film on the cooling pad, you should check it.

6 Likes

There was a comment on that section by a user saying you needed to remove it. I didn’t see it initially and then when I went to install the mid plate I saw the film so it is easily missed.

1 Like

Thanks, I definitely did not notice the cooling pad. I’ll have to open mine up again to fix that.

1 Like

I didn’t even notice the comments on the quick start guide.
This is important enough to include in the guide itself in my opinion.
I might go to support about it if it doesn’t change soon.

While adding more cooling is good, overheating is supposed to slow the ssd down not crash (or even break) it so there may be something else going on there too.

1 Like