SNACK: Sd cards, Notes, Appitizers, Cash, and Keepsakes. A Drawer Expansion Card

Thanks so much for these pictures. Full-sized SD definitely looks like a huge challenge, but hopefully one day it can be done :slight_smile:

1 Like

@XenoCow
You got a mention!

Makezine Article

3 Likes

Yeah! Long live the snack drawer!

1 Like

“We’re seeing some incredible designs in development already, from UART bridges to dual USB-C hubs to snack drawers (!!!).”

1 Like

I was thinking about your snack drawer, a lot, and I thought it would be advantageous if you rebranded it to an acronym or a portmanteau.

Examples:

SNAQ!
or
SNAQUE!

(Satisfy, Nourish, Aid, Quell)

Continued success to you.

1 Like

You could make a double depth meal drawer
It might fit a meal for a [very] small cat

On a separate note,

sounds to me like someone needs to invest in a new expansion card. You can indulge yourself. It’s only 3 dollars - the price of a snack.

2 Likes

SNACK
Sd cards
Notes
Appetizers
Cash
Keepsakes

Thank you for the idea!

7 Likes

By deep do you mean long (sticking out of the laptop sideways) or do you mean deep as in height (sticking out below the laptop)?

I was thinking depth. Length can be extended a bit but probably shouldn’t be doubled without potentially putting too much strain on the plastic inside of the card slot in the event the laptop gets dropped or something. You’ll get too big a moment arm in my opinion. Depth on the other hand, could probably be increased with relative safety by adding support around the exterior of the card enclosure. Your biggest challenge would be the impact to laptop stability and user comfort.

Would you consider shipping to Canada in the future? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My snack drawer arrived!! Seems to have arrived just fine.

Here’s how it looks on the laptop:

As you can see, I am in Batch 3. Pain

22 Likes

I’m working on a slightly more than double deep drawer now. I’ll need to play with the angle at the bottom and consider how exactly much deeper is good. I’m thinking of a much deeper version that could significantly alter the height while also providing large storage areas. Stay tuned.

I will consider it. I’ll have to figure out how to get the shiping set up for international. I don’t yet make enough to warrant paying for better payment processor services but don’t want to charge for more than the drawers are worth in my eyes.

1 Like

I just looked around and the cheapest I can find the shipping would end up being about $16 (CAD$20). Do you still think it’s worth it to spend almost 6 times the price of the product on shipping? It might be cheaper to find a friend with a printer and pay for the model files instead.

I suppose if you think the drawers are worth more than $3 then maybe the difference between the shipping and product is not so bad.

I still need to figure out how I would set up different pricing for different regions. I’ll get back to you on that.

Edit: It looks like I can have multiple shipping rates. I’ll open it up to Canada once I figure out the box price situation. I don’t think that padded envelopes will be enough for crossing the border.

1 Like

ROTFLMAO - nice one, @gs1

1 Like

@XenoCow You definitely can use envelopes to ship parts to Canada( at least to Ontario). I’ve got few months ago a spare part from Sherline( it’s an American tabletop Lathe and Mill manufacturer). It was delivered by Canada Post( so I believe it was sent by USPS) in envelope w/o any issues.

Well… In that case. ORDERS ARE OPEN FOR CANADA!

USPS Still wants a good chunk of change for it though. :frowning:

3 Likes

SNACK gets a callout in a recent opinion piece from Tom’s Guide: The Framework Laptop is the future of laptops — and that’s why I’m buying one | Tom's Guide

6 Likes

Anyone think that was weed not cash? made me do a double take :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Yup. One of those times where I wished the internet had “scratch ‘n sniff” enabled.

2 Likes

That’s your problem. It’s in backwards.

2 Likes