SNACK: Sd cards, Notes, Appitizers, Cash, and Keepsakes. A Drawer Expansion Card

Filament can be a few different materials one of which is PLA (Polylactic Acid).
PLA Filament is made from nature plants rich in starch like corn, beets and wheat. PLA Filament is both compostable and biodegradable.

For those visits to unfriendly countries, the snack drawer also fits a universal handcuff key! :wink:

12 Likes
3 Likes

I don’t use food grade filament. PLA, the plastic I use and was described by @Keith_J_Brett above, is not innately toxic. However, there may be some additives that aren’t great.

If you would like to request a food-grade plastic, it looks like my supplier has some in stock that could work. Just select “Other” on the item page when buying the drawer and then type in the box below the link to the particular color.

1 Like

For those of you waiting for a larger drawer go and check out the Tall SNACK Drawer!

Thanks again @Frosty!

2 Likes

As if my cat needed any MORE excuses to come paw all over my laptop and desk… but genius nonetheless, I can pop open a drawer and toss some snacks so they’ll go away!

1 Like

How many Yubikeys/Solokeys could you stack in one drawer?

What if instead of a drawer sliding inside the frame, you printed it as a solid “drawer” where the user could pull out the whole module? That might allow 1 SD card to fit (probably not two given the limited height, and worst case if the drawer wears out and doesn’t stay in over time, they can order a new one and possibly recycle the old one.

Consider it done. That shouldn’t take long to get to a presentable state. I’ll do my best to fit an SD card in.

1 Like

A fullsize SD card will not fit unless the expansion card extends a little bit from the side of the laptop, unfortunately. :frowning:

@Ethan_Spoelstra you could easily toss 2 Yubikey Nanos or Solo Taps in the drawer. I’m fairly certain you could fit 4 Nanos if you positioned them just right. Not sure if you could fit 4 Taps in 1 drawer, as I don’t have any to test with.

1 Like

This is pretty good.

Reminds me of that scene from ZooLander when Hansel is like “THE FILES ARE INSIDE THE COMPUTER”!

To meme or not to meme…?

But really, this would be super helpful for me to store a security token in while on the go.

2 Likes

Can this get put on the marketplace?

1 Like

Yes… If I turn the fan down and game a bit I can make a slice of raclette or a mini pizza :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After all the talk of various expansion cards being developed and prototyped and asked for and debated, I find that the most important one is already available!

2 Likes

It says one version of the CAD files are free but it looks like the platform still wants to charge shipping =/

1 Like

Huh… How strange. Thank you for catching that! I’ll fix that. In the meantime, please feel free to download the files from this link as seen in my post about the lite drawer.

I see the issue… I think I will remove the digital file options and just put a link both on my website and in the item description. Thank you again.

3 Likes

Thank you for your work! I will perhaps order one when I actually get the laptop.

2 Likes

Update March 15th
Physical drawer orders will not be taken until further notice due to logistical problems. The digital files are still for sale. Thank you for your patience.

Update May 13th
The new and improved SNACK Drawer V2 has launched. Quit reading this and go check it out!

3 Likes