[SOLVED] Front left USB-C port stopped working completely

I have a Framework Laptop 13 with an AMD Ryzen 7 7840U based mainboard from batch #5. I have just recently (a few days ago) noticed that the front left USB port (the one without display output functionality, denoted #2 here) completely stopped working. (It was definitely working earlier, but I don’t remember the exact date of the last time I used it successfully.)

The issue doesn’t seem to be with the USB Type A expansion card that was in that slot so far, as it works in other slots, and the port doesn’t even seem to work with devices connected directly to the mainboard without any expansion cards.

I’m running NixOS 24.05, but have tried booting another OS image while troubleshooting with the same results before realizing that the port in question doesn’t even charge or provide power, so I’m incliden to think that it’s a hardware related issue.

One thing that happened lately was that I updated from BIOS 3.03 to 3.05, which did fix compatibility with some of my chargers, so I guess that it had to have done something to the USB controllers. (I also remember reading that if someone were to update a mainboard without a battery, they would have to change the port they are powering the device throught the procedure.)

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar? The other issues I was able to find were related to overcurrent protection, which doesn’t appear in my dmesg logs, and they usually mention a port that works intermittently, while currently mine seems to be completely dead.

I guess that I’ll also open a support ticket if this turns out to be a completely new type of issue, but I assume that it doesn’t hurt to ask here first.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Which port did you have the charger plugged into for the update?

I didn’t remember, but as I manically document every process I deem at least partially risky I found a photo showing that it was plugged into the back left port.

ps.: I haven’t yet opened up the chassis to check for physical damage, but will try to do that soon, as I’ve seen other people reporting melted plastic around USB controllers.

Try plugging the charger into a port on the right side and re-running the BIOS updater.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion!

Since I wasn’t sure whether I could force a reinstallation using lvfs / fwupd (I guess I could by providing an update file manually :thinking:) I went through the EFI shell this time, plugging the power source into the back right port and the installation medium into the front right port through a Type A expansion card.

The process seemed to go just fine this time as well, my photographs from both occasions show all the following checkmarks appear in the bottom right corner of the screen as well as the green Update Complete!!!:

✓ BIOS: JFP30.03.05
✓ EC: -ec:b4c1f
✓ PD1: 0.0.1C
✓ PD2: 0.0.1C

Still, the front left port didn’t return to life. I tried multiple devices while booted into NixOS as well as plugging in a charger while turned off to make sure that nothing OS related is interfering with it’s operation, but no luck.

After this I opened the machine to check for any visible signs of hardware related issues, but found none. I closed it back up, rebooted multiple times and ended up pausing on the boot device selector screen activated by F12, while I decided to grab a USB keyboard to see if the BIOS screens respond to USB input through that port by any chance. (It didn’t really make sense to try, as the port wasn’t even providing power, but still, I decided to give it a go.)

When I grabbed the keyboard and returned I barely caught the power LED on the left side of the machine blink if I recall correctly a few times white and then a bunch of different colors in a sequence. Here’s where I’m a bit uncertain in the order of events, as I might have already plugged the keyboard into the port before the blinking happened. Anyway, after the blinking stopped, I breathed a sigh of relief as I was able to switch between the listed input devices using my external keyboard. I booted up NixOS while it was still connected, and sure enough, it kept functioning just fine even under Linux. I have tried multiple devices and charging as well through that port and everything seems to work perfectly right now.

It feels a bit weird not really knowing what fixed it, but still I’m really glad that everything’s back to normal! :slight_smile: Thanks for the quick responses @Morpheus636, even if the reinstall might not have been the exact step needed, it led me to experiment in a direction that finally somehow sorted this situation out!

ps.: Another reason while I’m glad I didn’t start by opening a support ticket is that now anyone experiencing a similar situation can find this thread and firstly, maybe fix their issue through a set of steps outlined here, as well as secondly, maybe report back with some more information that can help shed light on the exact circumstances, under which the port decides to come back to life!

1 Like

Glad you got it sorted! The blinking would’ve just been a POST code, as the machine took longer than a few seconds to power on, so I doubt it’s related. Not really sure what fixed it, but glad it’s fixed!

1 Like