[SOLVED] Matte screen please! :)

And that’s all some of us are asking for but it appears to really upset some people, or they think it impossible, which was the kind of thinking that led to the Framework existing in the first place.

Bizzare.

Oh and the odd resolution/ratio means availability of other drop in options are limited.

No one is getting upset at you for asking for this, as that is the whole point of this thread. What people are getting upset about is the people who are demanding that Framework release a factory assembled matte screen when they have made it clear that it is not a priority to do so at this time.

4 Likes

Just ordered a “matte screen protector” from Viascreens. They were out of stock for a while, but it looks like they’re back! And they seem to have great reviews on trustpilot (besides shipping times, which seem to be long heh).

edited because I forgot the word “protector”

1 Like

If that’s true, why does Lenovo keep releasing laptops with 100% sRGB matte displays?

2 Likes

Probably as there are customers who care more about reflectivity than bright and contrasted colours

2 Likes

Just to dissect this “better colors” thing.

Glossy and matte are both coating finishes. It’s not that the screen finishes have ‘better colours’… Assuming the coating has the same transparency rating…light / visible spectrum passes through with the same effect on the visible spectrum.

It’s to do with the perception that glossy screens are ‘sharper’…because anti-glare / AG / matte layer acts as a diffuser.

In terms of colours (for sRGB colour space)…matte screens can produce the same 100% sRGB coverage, with the same low dE as glossy screens.

8 Likes

Reflection wipes out any colours completely anyway…

“Oh you just keep moving your head or the laptop left and right and you’ll see the whole image! Not an issue!”

Hahaha true…
I stand corrected. It is sharper in dark enviorments though!!!

Yes. A matte screen would be a nice to have option in the configurer.

3 Likes

i’d be happy with a factory-fitted matte film option. Doesn’t have to be a different screen P/N. I suspect the fact most companies dont offer this is a telling sign for multiple reasons.

3 Likes

It’s finally been announced! Coming soon!

7 Likes

Matte display! Now orderable.

Notifiable. Not quite orderable yet, but it will be soon, hopefully. (And of course, right after I placed an order with ViaScreens.)

2 Likes

Now that this is going to be a thing, the one thing I do just want to say is that traditional matte coating will become a silly choice if/when OLED or some other display tech with perfect blacks becomes standard as it results in elevated black levels during the day.

1 Like

The wait is (almost) over just “shut up and take my money”!

So I’m surprised all of you that were so against the idea of a Framework supplied matte screen are not trashing your Frameworks in anger at such heresy…

“How could they break the holy faith of the glossites!”

1 Like

As if gloss love and matte addiction cannot coexist. I’m partial to my shiny screen, but won’t begrudge folk who’ve waited this long for a matte offering.

3 Likes

@Mad_Alchemist We can’t. Didn’t you also swear the super-secret oath to fight the matte wherever and whenever it might be found? Just me?

2 Likes

Is it possible for glossy screens to use an anti-glare coating like I have on my wristwatch? Watches can have them either on both sides of the glass for extra glare protection, or on the underside only to prevent the coating from being scratched off (most mid-to-high end watches use sapphire crystals which are extremely scratch resistant, so the coating will wear off before the glass is damaged).

I never thought about it with regard to laptop screens (my Dell work laptop is matte, and I bought the matte protector for my Framework immediately), but I wonder how well it would work. My own watch (Sinn 556I) has dual-coating, is extremely legible even in bright daylight, and has not worn off after four years of daily wear far rougher than I’d ever treat my laptop.

1 Like

Anti-reflection coatings that may not be good enough for a large screen you will stare at for extended periods like a laptop, at least at a reasonable price and at relatively low volumes. Basic single layer AR coating seems to be inexpensive. You can get it on eyeglasses for little added cost. They are even common on lenses for flashlights. But while it reduces the brightness of reflections, they are very much still there. Multi-layer AR is better but it gets more expensive as you add more layers. This is common on high-end professional camera lenses. Backside AR I don’t believe is needed if the top / outer glass is bonded to the screen.

I’m guessing big companies might be able to get better multi-layer AR at acceptable prices by negotiating deals for a large volume of units.

I ordered a matte screen the morning it became available.

Shipping was fast (took less then a week to arrive in Germany).
Replacement, thanks to the well written guide, was quick and easy for me.

Thank you Framework, I find the matte screen makes it so much more pleasant to work with this machine (13 inch, gen12 to be precise).

7 Likes