Storage (Internal vs Module): Newbie would like some assistance

Greetings framers? frame.workers? Is there a preferred appellation for the individuals of this group?

I’ve need of a new computer and frame.work is quickly becoming my answer.

Concern: frame.work has only 1 NVME slot for internal memory?

• How much resident memory might be the recommended size of the partition to run and update the programs separating it from storage?

• Which of the offered memory cards is recommended (durability, reliability, longevity?)

• Is there a heat sink for the NNME memory built into the laptop? I couldn’t locate an answer on this.

• Is there a “bring your own” option that would outshine frame.work’s offering (Heat production during use, value, performance, durability, reliability, longevity?)

• Am I correct in understanding that if the drive is partitioned, one could do a fresh install of the operating system and programs from time to time without mucking up the stored files? (I’m not currently setup this way and haven’t ever been: and think I’d like to be.

• Given what I’ve seen about Win 11 I’m not inclined to go that way especially since I’ve ZERO interest in being slaved to a Microsoft account. I’ve gotten rid of as much of the bloatware I can from Win 10 and would have to do the same with Win 11. I’m not yet at a point where running Linux is an option.

I get these maybe parochial questions and am grateful for the knowledge and experience this community can assist with.

My current laptop a t540p (running 10pro 500gb ssd 16 gb ram (2x8 crucial) & 500 gb 7200 rpm in what was the dvd tray.)

I am launching a podcast, do other audio editing (Adobe Audition), run Photoshop and mostly use Adobe Illustrator.

It’d be nice if the frame.work had two slots for NVME (one for programs & one for storage): seems like that would be a slicker/more secure use of additional memory: perhaps the 16" coming out will have said? Any insight on what might be coming with the larger laptop? Price point? Thoughts on the cast construction vs CNC with regard to durability, strength and longevity?

1 Like

Yes I have been doing that since Windows 1998 and Ubuntu 4 :slight_smile: I use the same
disk/partition for both Win and Ubuntu on dual boot

You can use an Expansion card as an alternative to a partition for personal data and programmes, which is what I have also. I can move it to any computer and even my mobile phone.
Yes this is my preferred option to having a partition

3 Likes

@amoun, thank you for the very fast reply. Please clarify something, how much space is more than adequate, generally speaking for program allocation in the partition?

1 Like

There’s not set amount as it depends upon your use.

I have Win11 on the prebuild 512Gb and use a 256Gb Extension card for my personal stuff.

I have a 128Gb partition on the 512Gb NMVe for Win 11 leaving the rest for ???

• Backup maybe
  • OS build
1 Like

Thanks again. Really appreciate your insights.

No but there is room to put a small copper shim.

Yes, if US based the SK Hynix P31 and P41 are highly recommended as is the Solidigm P44 Pro.

I’m really impressed with this community overall so far. This has been quite encouraging that I’m making the right decision.

@GhostLegion, thank you for your help. I’ll check out the memory you’re recommending.

Is there a ram option that is superior in all the aforementioned qualities as well? I’d been using crucial for a while, but not getting a warm fuzzy about them at this point.

You can only use the specs that Framework provides, any will work assuming they meet the voltage and frequency specs. Personally, I would just get the ones Framework provides.

Yeah but it isn’t price competitive so you have to really want it and marginal benefit. Kingston Hyperx Impact CL20. It’s the only kit that is better than CL22 and doesn’t require XMP.

Great, thanks will check this out as well.

1 Like

Do note that if you are looking at the new laptops, while there are some users who were able to get Windows 10 working on the 12th gen laptop (you can attempt the recommendations in this thread ), Framework does not officially support Windows 10 on their 12th gen laptops, so it may be hard to upkeep your installation. You can see an official statement from a Framework employee on the matter in the thread I linked above. You may be able to find a used/refurbished 11th gen mainboard, but 12th gen likely will never get official support, which makes me assume that 13th gen and AMD may not get it either.

Something to note is that there are projects like Tiny11 which is a version of Windows 11 that has already had a nice amount of debloating done to it.

1 Like

@Azure Thank you for the input. I’d seen something mentioned about Tiny11 after looking for reviews on Win11. I will look more closely.

And, deeply appreciate your advice with regard to 13th gen vs previous iterations of the computer, this will save me from suffering transition headaches and unnecessary downtime.

2 Likes

Does anyone know the height/clearance needed for the NVME? It was suggested there’s enough room for a copper shim heat sink. Have looked and can’t locate this spec. WD makes a 2T and 4T NVME with an attached heat sink.

I keep reading larger sized (2T and up) SSDs produce a fair amount of heat and then suffer performance issues.

Does real world experience bear this out in the framework?

Does partitioning OS from storage on the same drive mitigate this?

Does keeping the OS and programs separate of storage (external storage media) assist in this?

Note despite my concerns, most have reported a copper pad works well. Just not the huge heatsink WD supplies with these drives!

Yes but only under sustained load. The faster they are, the quicker they get over the load and go back to idle.

Depends on your usage pattern. The OS involves mostly reading, not writing. Storage - if you’re using large games then lots of reading and potentially lots of writing (though in bursts).

1 Like

@Fraoch You say that but the shim hasn’t been a problem for me :man_shrugging:

True, most have reported it works fine. I would worry about it pressing underneath the keyboard but no one has reported any ill effects.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback and the technical details. Again, I’m impressed with the level of support and information from the community.

1 Like

What experiences does the community have with the 1T module? Stable? Worth it? Better off getting an external NVME enclosure and buy another NVME?

I’d avoid WD for now. I’ve seen too many threads about screw ups in firmware. Don’t own one myself so can’t speak from personal experience. Plus I recall they were known to run hot. This latest batch might be better tho. Check reviews for that.

I got the 1TB 770SN from WD and had no luck with it,- it came with either a broken controller or hardware.

After replacing it with a Samsung 990 Pro 1TB I had no such issues for 2 months now, running rock solid.

So I fear I have to agree with @GhostLegion here. Competition is good and WD does make good drives, the current NVME lines however do not look to be as reliable for many of us.

1 Like