Suddenly no display on Framework 13 AMD

I’ve been using my Framework 13 (AMD) for the past month and it has been an enjoyable experience.

As of this morning however, the display is not working properly. The backlight seems to be working (I can even see the blue dead pixel I keep forgetting about!)

I had just taken it out of my bag and it was very slightly warm. I’m not sure if it’s because of the bag’s insulation or because it was on the whole night. Either way, the battery didn’t get completely drained (I slept for 16 hours btw).

This is what I’ve tried so far:

• Turning it off and on again. Nothing.
  • Connecting it to an external monitor via HDMI. It outputs a display to the monitor and the internal display is indeed recognized.
  • Unplugging the eDP cable. This allows me to see the BIOS with the external monitor.
  • Turn up and down the display brightness. It works. The backlight gets brighter and dimmer.

Potentially relevant information:

• Mainboard: The one with the Ryzen 5 7640U
  • RAM: 2x16 GB kit of Crucial DDR5 - 5600
  • I was so excited to share this laptop with my friends that I may have opened and closed the laptop several times yesterday lol. It was just the input cover though, no deeper disassembly.

What can I do besides replacing the screen? Also, would this be covered by the warranty?

If you haven’t already, make sure to contact support. They will be able to help determine if it is a hardware issue and should be able to help you replace it if it is. They have quite the backlog right now, so it could take some time for them to get back to you, but as long as you receive the auto-reply they will be able to contact you as soon as they can. In the meantime there may be other users who could help you troubleshoot, but it definitely sounds like a hardware issue to me.

I have contacted support since you suggested it. Now to wait for either them or the community to respond… or for sheer dumb luck to do its magic

1 Like

2024/07/29 update, in case it matters:
After sending photos and videos, FW Support decided to just replace my display free of charge. Thanks guys!

I still want to solve the mystery as to why this display suddenly borked itself though…