Suggestions on carry bag or sleeve

@Shaun_Kingston Thanks for the suggestion, seems like it would fit nicely with my Feuerwear Gordon bag. They’re another company founded on similar principles (recycling fire hose in this case).

The bag exterior itself is pretty thick and resilient, but the laptop pocket is just thin fabric so I was looking for a sleeve for a little extra padding / liquid barrier.

3 Likes

I know some people have already recommended this Tomtoc bag ( Amazon.com: tomtoc Laptop Shoulder Bag ) so I bought both the “13 inch for New MacBook Air & Pro” and the “13-13.5 inch” to test. The framework laptop fits in both, it just depends if you want a snug fit or a bit loose. There is just the tiniest bit of friction when inserting/removing the laptop from the 13 inch bag, and there is about 1.5 inches (4cm) of space, length wise, using the 13-13.5 inch bag.

I personally kept the 13-13.5 inch bag for my framework laptop.

9 Likes

This leather sleeve from Brydge fits perfectly!

Premium laptop? Get a premium laptop sleeve or bag :slight_smile: I personally have a number of bags from sfbags.com. Make in San Francisco, high quality, great company.

Sleeve:

I have bought a number of these bags, cases and sleeves over the last years, always exceptional quality, still in use. Not cheap, but worth it.

3 Likes

Tomtoc bag on the way. Thank you to this thread. Versatile A42 For 13" MacBook Pro & Air (Recycled Material)|Black

2 Likes

Felt sleeve in a shoulder bag.

2 Likes

That’s nice looking. Even has a loop for the Framework screwdriver :grinning:

I wanted a hard shell case for biking around and traveling so I picked up a Smatree 13.5inch Laptop Sleeve for Microsoft Surface Laptop 4.

Just barely fits vertically and has about an inch horizontally, but held in place by the pocket.

I debated between something that fit snugger and something like this the had a little play but ultimately I decided on this to avoid things in my bag applying pressure to the laptop lid (its pretty thick so there’s a small gap between the laptop and the top shell). The shell has a bit of give but not enough I’m worried about things resting against it. Downside, the pocket is elastic enough I can feel it wobble / slide around a little if I move it, but probably not enough to worry about.

4 Likes

Haha definitely not Pelican hard. I think it could take some jostling but probably wouldn’t hold up to a direct sharp impact on one of the flat faces, there’s definitely flex there. the edges feel sturdy though.

1 Like

Right on! I have several Waterfield bags and I still use all of them! They are quality for sure. I love the Finn wallet they make as well.

I just got a size 12B Cache sleeve from Tom Bihn, and while it’s possible to fit the machine in it, it’s very tight. I’m going to return it.

2 Likes

Well that’s disappointing. Spec-wise it seemed like it would be just right. How did you even get one? I’ve been checking the site regularly and they’re still not even listed as being in production.

Seems like the next size up that could fit would be the 15D, but that’s substantially larger at 346x234mm.

Hmm, may have to find a different solution.

I dunno, I happened to check their site a few days ago, and it was shown as available, so I ordered it. Maybe had been made available by a return. It does seem like very good build quality.

1 Like

After looking through reviews for various products I’ve come to the conclusion in most cases (haha) you want a little extra room than laptop dimensions. The corners tend to be the problem, like with the 12B the bags are often extremely rounded and the laptops are… not.

2 Likes

They do make awesome stuff. I’ve never had any durability issues.

Yup. And the extra mm or so in this case doesn’t quite provide enough I guess. The thickness doesn’t help either. The 12B is intended for the 2018 iPad Pro, which is 281x215mm, and only 6mm thick. So, extra room in all dimensions.

Too bad. I’ll inquire of the company about any chance of them producing a more suitable size, but I doubt they will. Guess I’ll have to look more closely at some of the other options folks here have found.

I do think there’s a good chance that the 13C cache would work just fine, despite the fact that it’s too narrow on paper (by 3 mm). I have one for another laptop, and the material does have a little stretch to it. The problem with the 12B seems to be that it was too tight on all sides, but the 13C gives you some extra thickness and length to work with.

Also, the new 14" Macbook Pro has similar dimensions to the Framework, which is good news for Framework owners (313 x 221 x 15.5, compared to the Framework’s 297 x 229 x 15.85). Any sleeves made for the MBP that are not skin-tight will probably fit the Framework too.

I wanted a hard shell carry bag with room for the AC adapter, a mouse, and expansion cards without worrying about them putting pressure and stress on the laptop, so I got this Smatree hard shell laptop shoulder bag on Amazon:

I haven’t taken it anywhere yet, but it seems to be sturdy.

Smatree Hard Shell Laptop Shoulder Bag Compatible for 12-13.3 inch MacBook Pro/MacBook Air 2021 2020 2019 2018 2017/12.9 inch iPad Pro 5th/4th with Keyboard/Surface Pro X/7/6/5/4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08ZXNTTVB

8 Likes

Another follow-up on the Tom Bihn caches, and not great news. I contacted them about the sizing and whether they’ll eventually produce one that fits, and this was their response:

Thanks for reaching out! I double checked and it looks like we don’t have any plans for a new Cache that would fit a laptop of that size at this time. We are planning for a new Cache for the 14" MacBook, though it does look like that size would also be a bit tight with the 14" MacBook being about 22.1 cm, compared to the Framework’s 22.8 cm, so it looks likely that you’d come across a similar fit as the 12B Cache, where it might just squeeze in but would be a bit tight.

So it looks like 15D (which is a few cm longer than needed) would be the only viable option in their lineup. Kind of a bummer. Maybe I’ll get it and cut some foam to take up the space in the bottom (I only use it in my backpack anyway). Or perhaps I’ll find another simple sleeve that will work in the bag, and find a way to add some nylon webbing rails to it (or just do without that feature).

I have used the Targus CitySmart EVA Pro for years of heavy road warrior use. If you are dealing with airport security, underseat carry on bag storage (even the A seat in an ERJ135!), etc, there is no better form factor / pocket set than this. And it looks good enough for professional settings as well. Looks like the main padded pocket will fit the frame work with a bit to spare on every edge.

Targus Citysmart Eva Pro Notebook Carrying Backpack 15.6", Gray (2DM64UT#ABA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BRHQY7/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_JZNR3CPDAJ284SNTZ3HZ

1 Like

I really like the fit of the LineSleeve when coupled with my Linedock 13. Gives me extra battery life when I’m really flogging things plus the LineSleeve has an ingenius flap that allows opening it to charge without removing the devices from the sleeve (and if they are sleeping heat shouldn’t be an issue).

5 Likes